Sponsored by:

96 C2 Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2001, 12:05 PM
Rex
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 96 C2 Transmission Problems

I have been occasionally hearing a grinding sound when I downshift from 3rd to 2nd. Couldn’t make it happen on a regular basis. Well, took the car to my mechanic yesterday. Drained the transmission oil. The drain plug had so much metal on it, it looked like it had a huge Afro. Bottom line, looks like a syncro is shot. (Not sure what else until we tear down the tranny.) Tried to get a rebuilt tranny from Porsche. They say no problem, only a 6 to 12 month wait. Does anyone know of a source for a rebuilt tranny for a 96 993? I feel a rebuilt might be a better solution than taking mine apart and trying to figure out which parts need to be replace. Any other ideas would be appreciated. You guys seem to be full of good ideas.
Old 07-21-2001, 01:21 PM
Chris in Detroit
Instructor

Unhappy

On track use from mine, I occasionally "crunch" going from second to third - and I am fearful of exactly your problem !

FWIW, my plan, should the gearbox/synchros ever fail it to do some upgrade work while the gearbox is open i.e. consider different final drive (to lower overall gearing) and certainly upgrade the synchros - I think there are Motorsport parts that are stronger.

Remembering a rebuilt gearbox is a failed one that has been ...... rebuilt ...... why not just have your gearbox inspected and made whole again - or maybe even upgraded. You'll end up in the same place or better for surely less cost ?

I am sure someone else more knowledgeable can give some indication of costs etc.

People to talk to would be:

Steve @ Rennsport Systems in Portland on (503)-244-0990
Paul Guard @ Guard Transmissions in Hawaii (?) on (888)-89-GEARS

I was also recently recommended Jim Privett @ JP Motorsports in California on (714)-772-9415 as a shop that does a lot of work on race gearboxes and trans.

Good Luck
Old 07-21-2001, 06:09 PM
Rex
AutoX

That's how my problem started. I would grind maybe once a run session. Thought I had just missed a shift. Then it just got more frequent. Even happened on the street. After 3 DE events and 2,000 miles, I was doing some parade laps to help dry the track after a rain and it would grind every time I downshifted from 3rd to 2nd. Took it to the shop right after that. I will probably have my local shop do the work. He has a lot of experience building Porsche race cars.
Old 07-21-2001, 09:05 PM
Chris in Detroit
Instructor

Unhappy

Oh No ! I'm hoping mine just happens when I hurry the shift and lift clutch before gear is properly engaged. Hope !

Pls post what your resolution and costs are !
Old 07-23-2001, 02:56 PM
David T.
Advanced

Originally posted by Chris in Detroit:
<STRONG>I was also recently recommended Jim Privett @ JP Motorsports in California on (714)-772-9415 as a shop that does a lot of work on race gearboxes and trans.</STRONG>
Just FYI - I had terrible time dealing with Jimmie, it took several month (I think 3 or 4) and infinite phone calls to finish my trannsmission work and even after all this trouble my second gear developed some kind of whine (singing noise), so I may have to open the box again
Old 07-23-2001, 04:21 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by Rex:
<STRONG>I have been occasionally hearing a grinding sound when I downshift from 3rd to 2nd. Couldn’t make it happen on a regular basis. Well, took the car to my mechanic yesterday. Drained the transmission oil. The drain plug had so much metal on it, it looked like it had a huge Afro. Bottom line, looks like a syncro is shot. (Not sure what else until we tear down the tranny.) Tried to get a rebuilt tranny from Porsche. They say no problem, only a 6 to 12 month wait. Does anyone know of a source for a rebuilt tranny for a 96 993? I feel a rebuilt might be a better solution than taking mine apart and trying to figure out which parts need to be replace. Any other ideas would be appreciated. You guys seem to be full of good ideas.</STRONG>

From what you described I would agree on a syncro replacement. No need to get a new/rebuilt tranny, my guestimate is that the syncro is $700. The motorsports 3 piece one is $1500, might be worth it if you track the car regularly. Labor probaby 12-18 hours but Pete or Steve could give you a better idea.
If you are going to do the work over the winter while the weather is bad in Denver I can give you the name of my mechanic in Cincy, and you could ship the tranny to him (probably about $100 with insurance each way). He is one of the top tranny guys in the country. It might take him a month to get it done as the race teams come first.
If you want more info send me an email.
Greg
Old 07-23-2001, 06:32 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Originally posted by David T.:
<STRONG>

Just FYI - I had terrible time dealing with Jimmie, it took several month (I think 3 or 4) and infinite phone calls to finish my trannsmission work and even after all this trouble my second gear developed some kind of whine (singing noise), so I may have to open the box again </STRONG>
David,

I never used JP, but I tried to... I must have left 25 messages, and never got a return phone call, so I used someone else. Guess I lucked out.

As to your whining 2nd gear, is this a non-stock gear? Aftermarket (nee "race") gears tend to whine. Personally, I like it.
Old 07-23-2001, 07:46 PM
David T.
Advanced

Originally posted by DJ:
<STRONG>As to your whining 2nd gear, is this a non-stock gear? Aftermarket (nee "race") gears tend to whine. Personally, I like it.</STRONG>
Yes it is an aftermarket gear. Also after talking to some more people this morning I have decided to not to take any action, it is not that bad anyways.
Old 07-26-2001, 05:29 PM
Rex
AutoX

Unhappy

Well, I have decided to have the transmission fixed locally and use OEM parts. The estimate is $1,500 for parts and 23 hours labor. They started to pull the engine today. Won't know for sure exactly which parts until they open the case.

I hope to be able to drive the car in a DE event in 2 weeks. The shop says it will be ready, if they can get the parts. They have ordered the parts they know for sure that they will need. Some have to come from Germany, so it will be tight.

993s must either have real good trannys that seldom need to be repaired or there are a lot of tranny problems right now.
Old 07-26-2001, 08:09 PM
David T.
Advanced

<STRONG>They started to pull the engine today. </STRONG>
You meant "tranny" not engine, right? There is no need to drop the engine for transmission work.
Old 07-26-2001, 09:25 PM
Rex
AutoX

Question

I assumed that the 993 is like older 911s that the engine and tranny were removed as a unit, then separated later.
Old 07-26-2001, 09:30 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
<STRONG>I assumed that the 993 is like older 911s that the engine and tranny were removed as a unit, then separated later.</STRONG>
It is possible to remove the tranny without the engine but a good mechanic would drop the entire assembly before separating from the engine.
Old 07-26-2001, 11:59 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by Viken Bedrossian:
<STRONG>

It is possible to remove the tranny without the engine but a good mechanic would drop the entire assembly before separating from the engine.</STRONG>
Viken,
Just curious why you state that. My mechanic swapped trannys on a 993 and never removed the engine, took about 3 hours or so.
Thanks
Greg
Old 07-27-2001, 11:47 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think swapping trannies without touching anything else is probably a fairly easy task. However, I am told that if you had to work with the clutch and flywheel, it would be very difficult to do it on the car. I don't work on my cars so I don't know why this is but every mechanic I talk to agrees with this.
Old 07-27-2001, 01:11 PM
Pete @ Andial
Intermediate

Greg,

3 hours seems a little "light",but I would agree there is no reason to remove the engine . I know many Porsche Premiere Techs that wouldn't even consider pulling the engine just to do a trans. swap or clutch/flywheel replacement.

Pete

Quick Reply: 96 C2 Transmission Problems