Sponsored by:

993 TT Aux. oil cooler installation DIY added to P-car.com

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2002 | 11:29 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Post 993 TT Aux. oil cooler installation DIY added to P-car.com

Many thanks to Bill Bennett for writting up this excellent DIY.

You EX (TT) guys are very lucky to have Bill Bennett joining your group. In no time after he upgraded his 993 LX (993 Cab) to a 993 EX (TT) he is already making contributions.

I also want to publicly thank Bill for donating his 993 core muffler from his 993 cab to me for a good "cause".

Thanks Bill.

<a href="http://p-car.com/diy/oilcooler/" target="_blank">993 TT Aux. oil cooler installation DIY</a>
Old 06-06-2002 | 12:09 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Hi Kim - from looking at several S cars, I believe the coolers should fit the same. The Cargraphic cooler will block most of the air intake for the AC condenser that is for sure. I think Mark, a 993TT alum, who posts pretty often, had a Cargraphic cooler on his old car, so maybe you could ask him.
Old 06-06-2002 | 12:31 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Well if the brake duct lines run along the outside of the condensors you should not have a problem as the oil lines run out the front of the condensor and the cooler sits in front as well.
Old 06-06-2002 | 02:45 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Thanks Bill.. I'll be doing this in the near future also.

Jeff
Old 06-06-2002 | 09:46 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Excellent Instruction. Attached is a picture of another possible way of cooling that will not disturb the A/C and could use the small Turbo S Coolers (not pictured).

Old 06-07-2002 | 12:10 AM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Very cool - I am sure you could mount 2 turbo S coolers like than in tandem.

Out of curiosity, do stainless steel oil lines basically act as mini oil coolers as well? Is that the point of them (other than looking slick)?
Old 06-07-2002 | 05:19 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Bill:

Stainless steel lines in that location and in that short a run would, by themselves, perform little, if any, cooling (and, in fact, in certain locations on a car, not this one, stainless steel could actually pick up heat). Having said this, what you are looking at are not stainless lines but, instead, PTFE (Teflon) smooth bore hose (smooth bore for maximum flow) with a convoluted exterior (convoluted for maximum flexibility) and a braided Kevlar jacket (Kevlar for strength and resistance to deterioration) weighing about 40% of stainless steel. As to the ends, they are aluminum as is the junction piece which, in turn, would connect to the main oil system. Below is a picture of the bulkhead fittings and the hose going from the cooler in the right front fender.

Bob

P.S. The coolers pictured are not Porsche units but are lightweight, high efficiency components which, together, weigh less and cool more than a factory (or Cargraphic) unit mounted in the left front fender. They are not, however, commercially available.

Quick Reply: 993 TT Aux. oil cooler installation DIY added to P-car.com