Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 09:46 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Craig MX7
Rick -
did you see any difference in the ride height between the stock shocks and the bilsteins. I currently have the stock USA shocks with the ROW M030 springs. I just bought the US Bilstein HDs. Pretty sure I don't want the car any lower than it currently is, but do the Bilsteins cause it to be higher than the stock shocks?

Thanks
Craig
No, because I matched the shocks before install. I took each stock one, as it came off the car and stood it on the garage floor next to the new shock and then adjusted the new shock's threads to make it the same length. When I took it in for the alignment, the wrench called me the next day and said I had gotten the height almost perfect. Just counted threads - that was it.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:06 AM
Agro1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couple questions for you Rick - If you adjust the new shock so that the spring is, say, a half inch lower, will the car sit a half inch lower ? I'm in the middle of my M030/Bilstein install and was trying to get the height spot on the first time before alignment. Also, how do you get that damn center nut off the stock perch ?!?!?! I guess I'll have to get the open socket, or have my buddy with and impact gun come over...TIA
Old 06-30-2004, 12:18 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dunno how to set ride height on these cars. I heard that raising or lowering the collar a few threads affects ride harshness, but not ride height. You have to ask a pro.

As for undoing the top nut, do that last. Get the whole assembly onto a workbench, put spring compressors on there and then either use an impact gun or the spark plug socket, hex socket hat trick. You may be able to get away with a good offset wrench. No need at all for the Hazet open socket.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:11 PM
Agro1
Banned

Gotcha - thanks Rick Is a spring compressor mandatory ?? I've heard it can be done without...
Old 06-30-2004, 01:46 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've heard that too, but unless you're far away from anything you don't want to get impaled by flying parts, then I'd go ahead and get the free borrowed compressors from Auto Zone and use them. Why risk it? I can just picture someone with a strut on the ground, holding it with their feet and looking down at it while they fiddle with it. It could be like checking to see if the gun is loaded by looking down the barrel and pulling the hammer back to let in some more light.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:49 PM
Agro1
Banned

LOL - nice visual Thanks again, Rick.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:05 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 365 Likes on 217 Posts

Rick

Thanks. I am looking forward to the new set up.

Tim

According to WestEnd, without the lowering perches on the US Bilsteins the front will be higher than the rear.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:46 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default plug socket

Take a look at the thread "Who has DIY'ed Bilstein HD install", there are tips on how to take those top nuts off - you don't need an impact wrench or hazet tool, etc.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:12 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi Chuck,

I'm glad it's working out for you. You'll like it once it's all done and aligned. What Grommet was missing? Was it the Blk plastic lock ring for the factory perches? When you go with the lowering collars you won't need them. I ran into the same issue and had to get another front strut because that lock ring wasn't there. But in the end I didn't even need it because the custom lowering collars didn't use it.

Tim,

I think with the H&R springs you won't need the Lowering collars because those springs are actually shorter than the factory M030 springs. But with the M030 ROW springs you do need the lowering collars because the Stock springs and the factory sport springs are actually the same height. It's just wound differently. If you look at previous threads there is a picture of the M030 spring and the stock spring and they are identical in height.

I got the alignment and corner balanced. And they also set my height. Each car is different so this is what I have.

Rf is 25 3/8 Lf is 25 5/8
Rr is 25 7/8 Lr is 25 7/8
Old 06-30-2004, 09:01 PM
jz993
Racer

Rick Lee said "Dunno how to set ride height on these cars. I heard that raising or lowering the collar a few threads affects ride harshness, but not ride height. You have to ask a pro."
I asked a pro, and he said it correlates 1:1. Lower the perch 10mm, the body comes down 10mm.
Again, the more I read, the more confused I get. If ROW M030 are considered " lowering springs", how can that be if they're the same height as stock? They sag more? That doesn't seem desireable.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:13 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 365 Likes on 217 Posts

Scott (aka Cahrera)

It was the grommet that is just under the lower spring seat. according to Darin at WestEnd he needed it to install the lowering perches. I contacted Terry at Bilstein in San Diego and he is sending the grommet directly to WestEnd. Both Hergesheimer Motorsports and Bilstein were great to deal with. I just wish I had read the prior post closer to pick up on the need for the lowering perches and looked at the shocks closer to see one was missing a grommet. Live and learn. Thanks again for the hint on the lowering perch. I would have been disappointed if I had gotten the car back with the front still looking like an SUV.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:00 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My understanding is the ROW M030 Springs will result in a 30mm drop compared to the US Counterpart Spring..

Regardless of what the springs looks like sitting side by side...the US spring is not progessive...the ROW Spring is. Thus, resulting in a drop of the car when installed.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:00 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default m030 row

The RoW spring is progressively wound, so though it is stiffer overall, the smaller coils at one end do result in the car sitting lower. I had those springs and the lowest I got w/o special collars was about 26" with the ground/fender method.

Edit: Doh, yeah, like Keith said about the progressive...
Old 06-30-2004, 10:07 PM
Tim Pruitt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Picture of 993 for review. Rear looks low compared to front?

Any comments are welcome.

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/tims_993.jpg
Old 06-30-2004, 10:12 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Tim's car

That looks hot, nice and low! Rear maybe looks a tiny bit low, but the rear fender is lower than the front normally. Sweet.

Quick Reply: ROW M030 Sway Bars, Springs and Bilstein HD's getting Installed Tomorrow