Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So Robin, How did you get the stripped...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2002, 08:12 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post So Robin, How did you get the stripped...

screw out of the distributor cap.

I of course, stripped the rear screw but on the top distributor. I did learn a trick tho from a friend at IPB-Motorsport in Sacramento: use a 1/4" ratchet and tighten it a little first to break the torque. That worked on the lower one even though it was stripped a little. What a good place to use a socket head screw ipo the phillips.

I am seriously screwed here arr, arr. help any one!
Old 06-05-2002, 10:55 PM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts
As a 964 owner, I've been lurking here for a while - I hope to have my 993 within a month. In the meantime, maybe I can contribute for a change.

I had that problem on my 964 once. No matter how careful I could be, the phillips head couldn't hold its edge and stripped out. I ended up removing the whole distributor and then drilled the head off of the screw. If it is the upper screw you can probably drill the head out with the distributor in place. As long as you are replacing the distributor caps anyway, there is minimal you can hurt unless you put too much side stress on the distributor body itself and the new caps should have screws with them anyway. After drilling the heads off the screws, the caps slide right out and then a pair of vice grips were able to turn the screw shaft. Those little lock washers really do their job don't they.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-05-2002, 11:41 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Another possible solution is to get a phillips head screw driver that takes a wrench on the end or by the handle. This way you can put all your weight on the screw driver end straight on to the screw, while doing this you can then turn the screw driver with the wrench. This method allows for a lot more force onto the screw and more torque on the turn than using the screw driver alone.

Also impact screw driver will free it.
Old 06-06-2002, 02:26 AM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So as usual, the collective brain trust has come up with a couple of real good suggestions. I think I wil drill out the screw head as I am replacing the dist caps. It might be a little late for the impact screwdriver. It would have worked if I cad not bunged up the screw head too much at first.

Thanks!!!
Old 06-06-2002, 09:16 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Bruce,

I guess I missed the party. The collective brains here definitely have some very good ideas on how to get yourself out of a "Jam".

Depends on which screw is stripped, drilling ir mayb be out of question if the stripped screw is on the bottom screw of lower distributor.

I think I mentioned in my web site that I had to remove the left side muffler, left side engine shroud, and the hearter pipes from the heat exchanger, after removing all those part I then had room to reach up with a philips screw bit fitted on a ratchet and that's when I can apply enough force down to the stripped screw to loosen it.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: So Robin, How did you get the stripped...