Sponsored by:

Dry ice cleaning suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2024, 03:17 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 201 Posts
Default Dry ice cleaning suggestions

Banner car week last week….the Audi got ever so gently backed into. Thankfully only the grill was damaged, no headlight, bumper cover, etc. So, drove the 993 to get the parts last Friday. Massive amounts of construction on all the interstates around Syracuse. The crumbling elevated arterial is slated for demolition, and everything around is getting widened.

So, single lane construction zone, traffic moving along at 45mph. I can see what at a distance looks like water flowing across the driving lane. I back off from the box truck ahead of me, to minimize the overspray. Once that truck goes thru, it becomes obvious that it ain’t water.

A tow behind tar trailer has blown its pressure relief valve, and a literal 10’ wide river of 140 degree “tar” is flowing across the lane. I slow as much as possible, but traffic immediately behind doesn’t allow me to stop. So…thru it I go at minimal speed.

Car was absolutely covered. Site safety crew was awesome, as I returned to get a police report, etc. A citrus based cleaner was provided by the contractor (Citrol) that they use on both equipment and personnel to remove the modern “tar” mixture.

The good news is that the Tramonts, and the painted surfaces of the car have cleaned well. Approaching 40 hours of effort, as tiny specs are everywhere.

The bad news, is the tar is absolutely measurable in places underneath. Heavy cleaning application, hand scrubbing with a nylon brush, and multiple pressure washing attempts later…the hardware is clean, and accessible. I simply can’t get the car high enough on my mid-rise, or feel safe enough laying under it with the needed chemicals…to do the job.

All fender liners, plastic sills, all under body panels, mufflers, sport cat, WB support arms, and heat shields need to come off. Car isn’t a garage queen, but she was clean underneath before this episode.

Anyway, only one option that I have found so far, a Syracuse based detailing shop with a currently broken piece of equipment.

Can anyone recommend a shop capable of making this right…within a few hours of Central NY?

Old 08-05-2024, 03:47 PM
Aardvark123
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh my goodness...I feel your pain!
The following 2 users liked this post by Aardvark123:
fatmike (08-08-2024), GJSPIN (08-06-2024)
Old 08-05-2024, 03:57 PM
ShdwFx
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 168 Posts

Oh man what a cleaning nightmare. Good luck with the dry ice cleaning and post some pics afterwards.
The following users liked this post:
fatmike (08-08-2024)
Old 08-05-2024, 05:32 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Joe, Joe, Joe... it pains me to see these pics! Ugh! If dry ice blasting can remove cosmoline, I have no doubt it'll remove tar.
Old 08-05-2024, 05:39 PM
nk993
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

this is free rust protection
Old 08-05-2024, 06:32 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nk993
this is free rust protection
Agreed…I trust that the other handful that drove thru it in that exact moment in time, might only see it as a good thing. Whoever has to work on it next…not so much!

Old 08-05-2024, 11:32 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 283 Posts

At least it wasn't your Boxster
Old 08-06-2024, 12:00 AM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 205 Posts

Magdaddy, I feel for you. Frustrating that there wasn't anything you could do due to traffic. I hope dry ice resolves your damage. Again, sorry.
Old 08-06-2024, 01:41 AM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 138 Posts

Oh man, how infuriating. I have no doubt that the dryice will make it all look better than it did before this incident!
Old 08-06-2024, 01:53 AM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 95 Posts

Assume the truck owner/company will pay for all this?
Old 08-06-2024, 07:18 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fsa
Assume the truck owner/company will pay for all this?
To be determined…I need a quote for cleaning first.

Overall highway project is broken down into multiple portions…this is contract #1, the Northern Exchange. There was just a page one article in the local Sunday paper about the project. An over $2B(yes, billion) project, the Northern Portion is $296.4M of that. I am currently dealing with the site safety people.

Still looking for suggestions here folks…I have received none so far.
Old 08-06-2024, 08:41 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 770 Likes on 561 Posts

See if insurance will pay for the dry ice cleaning….it can run 4 figures easily for a good job….as it takes time to do it right….

Syracuse native that went south many years ago….it is harsh there in winter and construction in summer on the roads is no picnic - sorry this happened to you…..keep us posted….

Last edited by abiazis; 08-06-2024 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-08-2024, 09:28 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,305 Posts

It is a bit gummy for ice blasting. I would discuss it with the operator first. You can break the tar down with straight xylene and some rags. It won't harm the paint but isn't very healthy.

My son had this happen to his Audi years ago before Ice blasting was a thing. It was blast cleaning it. NOT
Old 08-08-2024, 11:05 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
It is a bit gummy for ice blasting. I would discuss it with the operator first. You can break the tar down with straight xylene and some rags. It won't harm the paint but isn't very healthy.

My son had this happen to his Audi years ago before Ice blasting was a thing. It was blast cleaning it. NOT
I have an industrial type citrus cleaner, that does indeed remove the tar…with some additional brushing. I have the MSDS for both that product, as well as the “tar”…both present challenges to be potentially immersed in.

It’s been 6 days since the incident, what remains under the car is still tacky to the touch. My only concern with what needs to be removed for cleaning, is those lower plastic sills. I imagine quite a few of those 27 year old mounting tabs will disappear…all other bits needed to be removed, I have BTDT with my somewhat bi-annual deep cleaning dive.

Honestly, just a tad bit frustrating. I will probably end up doing it myself, as the thoughts of dropping the car off for an extended period of time to an unknown facility..scares the hell outta me.
Old 08-08-2024, 11:36 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Mag, so sorry to hear about your beauty getting tarred. At least there were no feathers involved!!

The Syracuse I 81 revamp is total fubar. I’m avoiding going anywhere near the work and go round about to get to my destination. All for social equity reasons? To get I 81 out of the few miles of downtown?

Quick Reply: Dry ice cleaning suggestions