Sponsored by:

Dp you want a brand new Prius, if so...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 12:53 PM
Jon 'Bama
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally posted by Martin S.
Congrats Glen, I am pleased that you got the car. Wifey paid $5,000 over sticker for the privlidge of buying a Prius. The car is so darn exceptional, I think it is worth it.

Mileage...on what few mile we have on the car, and only around town, we are seeing 45 mpg. I have heard that others are not seeing this...I can't explain their dilemma. For us, we are very pleased with the car.

The reason why people are not getting the claimed EPA mileage is bc how the EPA does mileage estimates. Car sits on a dyno and emisions are read at different rpms and then software calculates estimates. These estimates are pretty good for normal cars but unfortunately do not work very well with Hybrids. The study I read showed most people are better off driving regular Civics or Corollas because they actually do better in mileage. (I'll see if I can find the study)

If I were in the market for the hyper economical gas sippers I would buy a VW Golf TDI. My father in law has one and averages 45mpg driving it hard or soft with extra cheap deisel fuel. IMO a much better value than a Hybrid

Jon
Old 06-28-2004, 01:28 PM
Jon 'Bama
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

here is the article I referenced

http://www.wired.com/news/autotech/0,2554,63413,00.html

Jon
Old 06-28-2004, 02:11 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Default The best car?????

I drove a Renault Laguna turbo diesel in Europe...what an incredible car. Excellent performance...nice detail on the interior.

The appeal of the Prius, the Green Factor. That what wifey wanted, and now she is happy, a good thing!

Old 06-28-2004, 06:42 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts

I have rented both the Laguna diesel and the Golf tdi several times. Both are very economical, but I give the Golf the edge for fun to drive. Seats suit my back better, too.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:52 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

So to update the squadron. If You buy a car in Ca. but live in Tx. they want You to pay sales tax in Ca. and register it there. Then You drive to Tx and reregister(more$) in Tx.. Phil McG if You have a thought let me know...The solution I have come up with is that Racer's Group will bring it to Tx. for the Parade next week. It will be surrounded by Cup Cars and a GT3RS....Gotta Love It! Martin thought You would enjoy, going to get a Racers Group windshield banner put on for Mom....
Old 06-30-2004, 01:25 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glen,
Of course I have a way!
if you like, have the dealer call me at work.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:21 AM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a friend who bought a Lexus in LA (there was a significant price difference from what he was being quoted in Dallas). He flew to LA, then gave a guy from the dealer a "lift" to Las Vegas, officially took delivery in LV and drove it back to Dallas. Hopefully there will be an easier way.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:29 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Terry Adams
I have rented both the Laguna diesel and the Golf tdi several times. Both are very economical, but I give the Golf the edge for fun to drive. Seats suit my back better, too.
We have a derivative of the Golf; SEAT Ibiza TDI 130HP with 300 ft/lbs of torque.

0-60 in 8.0 secs. And 50 MPG at 80 mph. Lovely little bucket. Our daily driver.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:49 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Prius Mileage Real world

I checked the mileage today...road mileage, mostly cruising at 75 to 80 mph with an occasional blast up to 100 on the back road (Highway 46 from Interstate 5 headed west). I got 53 mpg, not too shaby.

The Prius is no 993 and it is a little darty at speed...maybe it is those little tires, 14" I believe. Basically a good little car...

Quick Reply: Dp you want a brand new Prius, if so...