KW V3 coilovers for 993 RS application

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2024, 09:09 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 1,025 Likes on 534 Posts
Default KW V3 coilovers for 993 RS application

Background:
As some of you know, I had a set of KW V3 coilovers for a standard 993 application but decided to swap them out for KW's 993 RS kit. Some of you asked for pics and information on how these differ from the standard kit and why you would want to run them, so I've taken a bunch of pics for the benefit of others in the future.

First, details on the kit and information from KW:
PN: 35271020 on their Euro site. [Link] [also linkto instructions] <-- these are not listed on the US KW site since the the 993 RS was never sold here (IMHO this is short-sighted as there's a number of reasons that non-RS owners would want these)

These are made to order (they do not maintain stock) and are an 8 week lead time.

Overview of differences shared by KW:
1) The shock bodies are shorter (due to lower ride height)
2) The internal piston rods (shafts) are shorter (makes sense as the bodies are shorter)
3) Different "travel way" (meaning the +/- articulation of the suspension travel; no context as far as numbers were provided, just that it is "different")
4) Different valves (piston valve & compression/foot valve)
5) Oil weight is the same (it is the same for all single tube KW cartridges)
6) Additional threaded length on top of piston shaft (due to larger bearings on monoball top mounts; more exposed thread for nut engagement)
7) Drop link mounts on the rear shocks are lower for RS droplinks/swaybar setup
8) "Other small differences in the bump stops and upper spring seat, etc"
9) Spring rates are identical (tuning is achieved via the internal valve differences)
10) Recommended base settings - Front: Rebound - 6 clicks open; Compression - 6 clicks open; Rear: Rebound - 8 clicks open; Compression - 3 clicks open

FYI, standard V3's for non-RS recommended base settings: Front Rebound - 9 clicks open; Compression - 9 clicks open; Rear: Rebound - 8 clicks open; Compression - 3 clicks open

Why run these on a non-RS vs the standard 993 application?:

1) If you're running monoball top mounts (ie, "camber plates") as the RS does, the shafts of the standard 993 kit do not extend far enough to be able to counter-hold the shaft in order to torque the top nut to spec. People get around this by using a "Tosi-nut" and just zapping it with an impact wrench and calling it a day. This reason alone is not enough of a concern for me to make the switch but when coupled with all the other reasons, it is a contributing decision point.

2) Also, when running monoball top mounts the rear upper spring perch is not compatible and you must source an aftermarket one (such as Rennline) and also, the front upper spring perch is a bit too tall, complicating issue #1 above, since it is designed to mate to the standard 993 (non-RS) upper strut bearings.

3) If you want to run your car low, close to or at RS ride height, you significantly reduce the amount of travel available. As you lower the spring, the piston shaft retracts further into the shock body, reducing the amount of available travel and increasing the chances of "bottoming out". Since I'm running RS wheel carriers and everything RS on my suspension setup, including RS ride height, this is another contributing factor in my decision.

4) On the KW's, the rear drop link point is fixed and not height adjustable. If you are running an RS rear sway bar and RS drop links, the location of the fixed drop-link mount point is not compatible (a work around is to fabricate a tab which attaches between the KW and the drop-link). The 993 RS kit has the mounts in the correct location

In summary, none of these things individually are a huge issue but for me it was the sum of all parts and wanting to do things "the right way". Issue #3 was the biggest concern with my setup, so when I added the other three issues into the equation, for me it was the right decision to go with the 993 RS specific kit.

OK, onto the pics (everyone loves pics!!):

Will post all the comparison pics in a few follow up posts below...

Old 07-29-2024, 09:11 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

FRONT side by side comparisons:

Old 07-29-2024, 09:15 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

FRONT measurement comparisons:

Body length - you can see the 993 RS is 15MM shorter body...

You can also see the 993 RS has 15MM shorter piston shafts...

Lastly, you can see the 993 RS has a longer upper shaft shoulder, extending the length for use with RS and RS-style monoball top mounts...

Old 07-29-2024, 09:17 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

REAR side by side comparisons:

Last edited by boomboomthump; 07-29-2024 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-29-2024, 09:22 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

REAR measurement comparison:

Shock body is the same at 280 MM...

993 RS rear piston shaft is 7.5 MM longer...

993 RS shaft shoulder is the same amount of unthreaded section but 10 MM longer on the threaded portion...

Old 07-29-2024, 09:27 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

993 RS kit has "hex head" counter-holds on the top of the shafts vs two "flats"... (nice improvement)

Random observation, I noticed that the front shocks had the "Bump" (compression) setting incorrectly set to "7" instead of "6" as called for in the baseline specs...

Old 07-29-2024, 09:37 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

A few pics illustrating problem #1 from the first post:

Here you can see the rear standard 993 coilover mounted through a Rennline RS-style monoball top mount: (shaft is too short)

As you can see, you cant hold the shaft to torque the nut to spec. The nut does, however, have almost double the thread engagement of the standard nyloc nut...

As you can see, the nut has plenty more thread engagement than the standard nyloc. So thread engagement isn't an issue, it's just the inability to hold the shaft in order to torque to spec for peace of mind...

Now, with the 993 RS shaft (longer) you can see that the shaft extends sufficiently past the nut in order to hold the shaft and torque to specs...

​​​​​​​
The following 4 users liked this post by boomboomthump:
dalves11 (07-30-2024), fatmike (07-30-2024), orangecurry (07-30-2024), sacman (07-29-2024)
Old 07-29-2024, 10:42 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 283 Posts

Well that was comprehensive.

Thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed comparison - I'm sure it will be of great use to many.
Old 07-29-2024, 10:49 PM
sacman
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 98 Posts

Rennlist is the best car forum, yes, I said it.
Old 07-30-2024, 12:34 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nurburger
Well that was comprehensive.

Thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed comparison - I'm sure it will be of great use to many.
4hrs in, I was questioning my commitment but since there aren’t many details on this elsewhere, was trying to pay it forward as they say.

The following 2 users liked this post by boomboomthump:
ch3tman (07-30-2024), dalves11 (07-30-2024)
Old 07-30-2024, 02:44 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 574 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by boomboomthump
A few pics illustrating problem #1 from the first post:

Here you can see the rear standard 993 coilover mounted through a Rennline RS-style monoball top mount: (shaft is too short)

As you can see, you cant hold the shaft to torque the nut to spec. The nut does, however, have almost double the thread engagement of the standard nyloc nut...

As you can see, the nut has plenty more thread engagement than the standard nyloc. So thread engagement isn't an issue, it's just the inability to hold the shaft in order to torque to spec for peace of mind...

Now, with the 993 RS shaft (longer) you can see that the shaft extends sufficiently past the nut in order to hold the shaft and torque to specs...

You might want to monitor the clearance between the locknut and the mount wall, w/ a largish nut like the KW uses there can be contact at the nut corner and wall

here's what Bilstein Cup looks like, you do need a pass through socket to tighten these

Old 07-30-2024, 07:31 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Good call out for folks. That gold nut is actually from Rennline. It comes with those rear upper mounts. The KW nut is the nyloc one which is substantially smaller.

To you point though, I have checked that clearance in the past by articulating the monoball fully. I believe the rears don't articulate as much as the fronts. The vital thing to check is clearance between the upper spring perch and bottom of the top mount at full articulation. Ive seen a few posts in the past of some carnage as a result of not having an adequate spacer in between the two.

Old 08-01-2024, 03:37 AM
MrRoboto
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Any idea how these differ from the clubsports?
Old 08-01-2024, 07:13 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Clubsports are only for standard 993 application (non-RS) being the rear drop-link mounting point is not the correct location for RS rear sway bar.

That said, Clubsports differ from standard V3's in the following ways, since they are "track focused" not "performance street".

1) The Clubsports have monoball top mounts. These are their own proprietary design with a smaller bearing (judging by pictures) and not modeled after the RS. Most aftermarket top mounts (camber plates) for our cars are RS clones.

2) The Clubsports have stiffer spring rates. 50Nm vs 30Nm up front and 150Nm vs 90Nm in the rear.

[Link] to Clubsport instructions. Here's some drawings from their instructions which show the clubsport upper mounts...

Old 08-01-2024, 07:36 PM
MrRoboto
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you!!

Quick Reply: KW V3 coilovers for 993 RS application