Sponsored by:

993 TT vs. 993 4s

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2001, 07:59 AM
sassofono
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 993 TT vs. 993 4s

I need some piece of advice to cool down my brain a little bit.
I used to drive a 993 4, then I switched to a 996 2. I simply don't like this car, I find it very difficult to drive (mine has the sport suspension), with a very sensible steer, no-noise ( eheheh), no fun.
Right now I'm in the process of going back to a 993 and the dealer showed me a '97 993 TT (40.000 miles) and a '96 4s (26k miles).
Both appear to be in mint condition, the asking price (I live in Italy) is respectively US$ 70.000 and 55.000 (20% VAT included, sigh).
Rationally (!?!) thinking, the dealer tells me to go for the 4s, but the TT gave me an incredible emotion during the test drive.
What do you think ? Should I say "I don't care" and go for the TT or should I consider the durability and lower costs of maintenance of the 4s ?
Thanks
Marco
Old 11-02-2001, 08:25 AM
Rob O'Meara
Instructor

Marco,

I have had a 993 carrera 4 and always lusted after the 4S. I think it is one of the most beautiful and complete porsches ever. BUT... the turbo is a completely different animal. You say that a 996 C2 is very difficult to drive - if that's the case don't get the turbo. I can wheelspin mine in the wet at 100kmh. It also has full LSD drivetrain and reasonably hard suspension. Maybe not ideal for the narrow and bumpy roads of Milan, but perfect for the surrounding countryside.

I would always recommend a very thorough dealer check on the turbo before you buy it though. They are extremely reliable but can be very expensive to repair if not looked after. Good luck. Rob
Old 11-02-2001, 09:39 AM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

Marco,

Out of curiosity, what dealer in Milan are yuo dealing with?

I was looking at a 993 or a 964 a few months ago and, being Italian, also took into consideration Italian cars. I managed to get to know Sportwagen quite well and think they seemed quite reputable and with some good cars (but not all).

Saluti,
Old 11-02-2001, 10:19 AM
sassofono
Track Day

Thank you to both of you.
Rob: when I say that I find my 996 very difficult to drive I mean MY 996. With sport chassis every bump on the road hits the steer and you have to correct thousand times, especially driving at speeds well above 220 km/h. With my 996 I can reach the best control only keeping the engine above 5000 rpm. My 996 understeer a lot and I don't like it.
I test drive the turbo and I didn't have that problem, the car seems stiffer, no bonanza effect. In few words, I don't like the 996 and want to "go back" to the 993.
Consider that also the guys who sold me the 996 (yes, Sportwagen Service in Milan) don't "understand" my bad feeling with the 996 and all the people I spoke with declare that the 996 it's an easier car to drive. To me, it works the opposite !
Riccardo: the guys at Sportwagen are good guys for sure. Especially Mr. Vezzini sr. and Mr. Coppolino (also known as the best Italian Porsche technician). Mr. Vezzini jr. is a good guy, but he's more on the commercial side.
Bye
Marco
Old 11-02-2001, 10:51 AM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

Marco,

Its funny, when I was at Sportwagen Andrea Vezzini (ie senior) also said that he thought the 996 not to be as good a car as the earlier 911s. Of course, he might say that just because I was looking at a 964, but I did think he seemed quite a passionate guy (hence not liking the 996). The fact that he has a 73 RS speaks for itself as well.

When you next see him do please let him know that "Riccardo da Londra" sends his regards.

By the way, good choice to go back to the 993!
Old 11-02-2001, 01:39 PM
Pete in DC
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts
Talking

Maneuvering a widebody around the lake suburbs of Milan would give me the heebie-jeebies. I did it this summer in a 323i and nearly trashed it when not clipping my mirrors on the streetsigns of Cernobbio... That said: for all our sakes, GET THE TT!

Peter
humbly in a 964 C4
Old 11-02-2001, 06:41 PM
sassofono
Track Day

Riccardo,
the Vezzinis are good guys.
Of course they're there to sell cars, so they're really able to read your thoughts and switch between models depending on customers' desire.
The two also have race experience and they match passion with business.
I'll meet 'em on Monday, when I'll go to close the business (hope this weekend will help me to make the right choice!).

Peter, thanks for your words. I must admit that my heart says TT (my head says 4s) and when you talk about Porsches ...

Bye
Marco
Old 11-02-2001, 07:36 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Sassofono; I don't understand everything you're saying because the stock TT has a rather firm suspension. It should also give you some effect over bumps. But, if you like the feeling you should not be afraid of the extra mileage, these are good cars so long as they have been well kept. Do two things; 1. Ask to look at the maintenance booklet with the owners manual and see if the regular maintenance has been performed. 2. Have the car thoroughly analyzed including a "leak down" test. If both of these things are passed, then try life with a Twin Turbo.

Nella Boca De Lupo!
Old 11-02-2001, 08:28 PM
sassofono
Track Day

Garey,
I know it sounds a little bit crazy, but my experience with the 996 is exactly the opposite as usual (almost everybody says that the 996 is easier to drive than the 993).
I checked my 996 several times, I thought I had some problem with the tires, with the traction control; but the car is ok. I thought I was the problem, but with the 993 all this disappear!
MY 996 sometimes simply moves on the road (I'm talking about high speed highway driving) like if there's a side wind, every bump it's a steer correction, the front wheels become "very light" (I don't know the English expression, hope you can understand me) and sometimes you feel like if you're not in full control.
The car has been sold by the dealer, it's a mid 1997, maintenance has always been performed at the same facility and it comes with a full one year guarantee from Porsche.

Crepi il lupo !

Marco
Old 11-02-2001, 08:29 PM
sassofono
Track Day

I mean the 993 TT has been sold etc.

Quick Reply: 993 TT vs. 993 4s