Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler Fan Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2001, 09:29 PM
993C4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Oil Cooler Fan Question

How do I know whether my oil cooler fan is working? I've tried placing my head against
the front wheels/bumber but I can't hear anything.

EJ, Randall, perhaps you could enlighten me on this.

Thanks
Old 11-02-2001, 01:29 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hello,

Your oil cooler fan isn't supposed to come on until the oil is at 212F. Once the oil is warm enough for the fan to come on, try feeling under the grill in the right-front corner of the car. You should feel air blowing out of the grill if the fan is running. You'll also be able to hear the fan running.

As a reference, turn on your A/C (ignition on) and listen/feel at the left front corner of the car for the A/C condenser fan running.

Finally, if you hadn't caught this before, disconnecting the oil cooler temperature sensor will force the fan to run in fast-speed.

Oil Cooler Temp Sensor Plug

Good luck!
Old 11-02-2001, 03:25 AM
993C4
Instructor

Hi Randall,

Tks for your reply. I've read your earlier threads on disconnecting the oil cooler temp sensor but I've yet to try it.

I did exactly what you suggested while the engine is running (oil temp level at 9 o'clock - presume this is abt 230F) but I couldn't feel or hear anything. Does this mean the fan is not running? Is there any other way I can reconfirm this?

Thanks
993C4
Old 11-02-2001, 07:00 AM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have disconnected my plug so that my fan runs full blast, and in that mode you can hear it and feel it, make no mistake. I must say that I an extremely happy with the results of running it on all the time. My temp never goes above the 192 mark (or my second mark at about 8 o'clock), At that point, my thermostat comes on I guess and brings the indicator back down some. I love it, my gas mileage has improved to around 21 and I guess it's good for the life of the engine as well.
Old 11-02-2001, 11:43 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hello 993C4,

Did your A/C condenser fan start for you? It will sound and feel just like the oil cooler fan running, except on the other side of the car. Incidentally, if the A/C condenser fan doesn't start with the A/C, then you probably have a bad 2-speed resistor.

At the 9:00 position--which I guess to be about 212F--your oil cooler fan should be starting. It should certainly start if you let the oil warm to about halfway between the 9:00 and 10:00 (248F) position.

There are a couple ways to test if the fan is okay and the 2-speed resistor is intact. For example, if you're any good with a digital multi-meter, you can take a quick resistance reading across terminals #5 & #7 of (the plug for) relay R04 in the luggage compartment fuse box. Open circuit = bad resistor. Good resistor = ~0.7 ohms. Simply unplugging the oil cooler temperature sensor will tell you if your fan is okay--fast-speed fan operation bypasses the resistor. So, even with a bad resistor, your fan will run in fast-speed.

Many more details on troubleshooting the oil cooler fan can be found here:

<a href="http://members.rennlist.com/rgranaas/rgranaas.htm" target="_blank">Oil Cooler OPs Summary</a>

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler Fan Question