993 bragging

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 01:31 PM
hawk993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 bragging

Hi folks,

I was reading thru the forum, not much going on, so I figured I would brag a little. I was out cleaning my 928S last night and someone in my neighborhood stopped his truck in the street and asked if I had a second. I walked over to him wonder what I did wrong and he said he drives by my house everyday and loves my 993 and just wanted to tell me.

It turns out he got out of his car and gave the 993 and the 928S a good look over and we talked about cars for awhile. He jumped back into his truck after awhile and said the 993 was the nicest car in the neighborhood. BTW, I also have a new Grand Cherokee and Volvo S60, plus the 928S, so it wasn't like he was comparing it against a bunch of burned out vehicles.

I just thought you fellow 993 owners might want to know that other people appreciate the 993 for it's beauty.

Chuck
Old 06-25-2004, 01:44 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get that too. Everyone is the neighborhood smiles when they drive by and they wonder when I'm finally gonna get all that paint rubbed off.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:58 PM
jdoc7
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it is very common to have people comment on our cars. Yesterday, I was detailing mine and a guy walked up to admire, ask some questions, and give his thumbs up. Granted, I live in a small town so not many nice cars here. Most people don't realize that these cars are 10 years old.
Old 06-25-2004, 02:03 PM
993Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

My first grade daughter's best friend recently announced to her parents that I must work at a hotel because I now have a fancy car. Wha? I'm not sure where that comes from (I don't work in a hotel), but I find it mildly amusing that even seven year olds recognize that a 993 is something special. Even more so when I think that my "fancy" car cost me less than most of the "sensible" SUVs that inhabit the neighborhood. Of course, unlike her classmates, my daughter won't get to enjoy a drop-down DVD screen on her way to school, but she does get a flat-six back massage every morning!
Old 06-25-2004, 03:00 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

I've been followed from the gas station to my hotel
Kind of reminds me of an old Ghettoracer story
Old 06-25-2004, 03:05 PM
jonathank2000
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, my neighbors used to call me the Porsche guy before they found out my real name....
Old 06-25-2004, 03:10 PM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

My first comment I received about the car was also the funniest. I was dropping our fellow Rennlister Vic off at the train station after just buying the car from him. As I was about to pull away, a young man in full hip-hop regalia came up to the car and asked me to roll down the window.

I swallowed the lump growing in my throat and obliged (having my brother with me helped on the courage front). The window came down and a big smile appeared on his face as he said:

"Damn, I'll pay you if you let me wash your car."
Old 06-25-2004, 04:04 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just yesterday I picked up my baby from getting an alignment. Shop owner handed me my keys and said, "Man, you sure have a nice car." This is a guy who wrenches and races Porsches all day long.
Old 06-25-2004, 04:50 PM
Jeff A 993
Instructor

I've received two parking tickets in the last two weeks (expired meter).

Both tickets had the model year filled out as 2004. Not bad for a '95. Hope I continue to age as well.

Now, if I could just have a talk with the person at Home Depot who was too lazy to push their cart to the 'coral' (it was easier to just let it rest against my car), I would be even happier...I'll be busy with some polish this evening.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:43 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

I picked up my daugher one day at the local YMCA. All of the kids were playing outside when I pulled up in the 993. To my amazement, a few of her friends (from 8-10 years of age) yelled out, "Is that your Por-sha? Cool looking car!!!"

First, I was impressed that they recognized the car. Secondly, I was even more impressed when they actually pronounced it correctly.

As jdoc7 mentioned, most people don't even know how old these cars are. Their mouths usually drop when I tell them that my car is 8 years old!
Old 06-25-2004, 10:30 PM
NeedForSpeed
Instructor

In my line of business I deal with a large law enforcement agency. The first time I drove my 993 to one of the offices I parked it in the back lot behind the building. Every time an office would enter through the back of the office they would, in classic form, yell out,, "Who got the Impound last night" then they spent the next 6 hours trying to figure out what the car was doing there in the first place and making comments like love those wheels, is it new. Just watching them drool was plenty of entertainment.for a day. I typically work in Levis and a T-shirt so they never once suspected it was mine. One guy even tried hunting down the keys to move it because he thought it should be moved a few miles to the south for safe keeping. Needless to say when I left the office I honked the horn as I drove past the front of the building, smiled and "slwoley" drove away. Rumor has it now that theres a $50 bounty on my head to the first trooper that catches me!
Old 06-25-2004, 10:48 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was driving home one afternoon and a guy with a tricked out pickup towing a customer Harley pulled up beside me. He rolled his window down and asked 'is that one of those 993's?' I said it was and he said 'Looks like a million bucks.' Gave me a thumbs up and pulled away.

chuck
Old 06-26-2004, 01:52 AM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

And in the "says it all" category, there is a thread on the 997 board "Why has Porsche copied the 993 so much for the 997?"
Old 06-26-2004, 03:01 AM
kary993
Drifting

When I added the RS/CS body parts I really got a large number of thumbs up and nods on a regular basis. I also get the rice rockets trying to race which is really quite funny when you consider I have a serious suspension and Dunlop Sport race tires that are as sticky or stickier than Hoosiers against the rice rocket street tire. Two corners and they are well back in the rear view mirror and when they catch up they are amazed as evidenced by their facial expressions!
Old 06-26-2004, 04:10 AM
nman413
Drifting

Just got a thumbs up from a truck driving fan today on the way home from Thunderhill.

Quick Reply: 993 bragging