You seen Mobil-1 oil in 5 quart jugs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2001, 09:30 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts
Unhappy

Ray Calvo: PDRATR, re Amsoil: sounds like you sell the stuff!
My apologies that i gave that impression Ray. But no Ray, curently, I "BUY" Mobil-1. I just inquired becuase I decided to look into the pros and cons of synthetic oils (not too many "cons" to find but, many many "pros" ). As I started looking deeper into it I found some interesting information about the various synthetic oils that are manufactured.

I stumbled across Amsoil recently because of several friends and folks I either met at the track or through other people. All had endured some sort of excessive wear or engine failure. The common thread between all of them was that each had either recently started using Mobil-1 or had by some process unknown to me determined that Mobil-1 was the source. Most all of them also indicated that they should have used a better synthetic oil and occassionally the name Amsoil would surface as a choice they should have made. Please understand that I am in no way trying to discredit Mobil-1. It certainly is likely to be suitable for most of our daily driving needs and certainly is many leagues better than the best available or conventional dinosaur oil. Additionally, Mobil-1 is so commonly used by many of us (including myself) that it is where the focus on my personal research started. The results of my research indicated that Mobil-1 is not the "end all or best of all producuts in this catagory".
We spend so much our time here sharing information about the "BEST THING FOR OUR PORSCHES", well- What is really the best sythetic oil for our Porsches and what criteria or standrds are we measuring our final conclusion on?

I was under the impression that synthetic oil is synthetic oil and, the differnece between one manufacturer and another could not be so significant as to impact performance, engine wear, and thermal breakdown, etc. Well, with a little research I found that I was wrong.

So, if these technical specifications on synthetic oils and their manufacturers were coupled with a resonable case study done by independant research yields results that begs the question- "WHY..", I thought I would ask.

I work in in telecommunications not lubricants. I was making an attempt to educate myself on something about the products I rely upon to keep my "ever depreciating personal asset" in best form. During my personal education process and question of the members on this list I guess I shared a few more facts of my research than the Mobil-1 loyal cared for. It was not my intention to offend anyone,,,please accept my apologies if I did.

Hey, who cares, its only oil right?!?!

Sorry,
Old 07-17-2001, 12:44 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

PRDATR, I should have added the dopey "smiley face" after the salesman remark. Just yanking your chain; no disparaging remark intended.

Being an engineer (mechanical), lots of times we have to consider cost vs. benefit. I think this stuff is about double the cost of Mobil-1? I really have not heard of folks haing engine failures that could be attributed to use of Mobil-1 (or probably better said, NON-use of some other product). So, since it is so widely used, and I haven't seen anybody either locally or nationally thru PCA or car magazines describe troubles attributed to it (well, one - some who switched to it in high-mileage engines complained of oil leaks they didn't have before), I'm sticking to it.

Only person I've seen advocating it is a local salesman who would come out to local SCCA autocrosses and try to hawk the stuff. Holds absolutely no credit in my eyes.

So, use what you like - I'm sticking to Mobil-1!
Old 07-17-2001, 09:57 AM
Mark Buka
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys:

Here's the link to the Mobil 1 e-store:

As a last resort, one can always pay top $ and have it delivered to one's door.

http://www.exxonmobil.com/netcom/mall/
Old 07-19-2001, 11:41 AM
Irish Frank
AutoX

Question

Can the board fill me in as who is the main distributor of the Amsoil product is, and even if they export to the UK or Ireland? Not trying to be disloyal to Mobil 1 or anything!
Old 07-19-2001, 08:00 PM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

Irish Frank,
I don't know if you have Costco in N Ireland, but if you do .. Mobil 1 0 40 is £23 for 5L.
Hope this helps.
Tito.
Old 07-20-2001, 02:28 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts
Irish Frank: the main distributor of the Amsoil product is, and even if they export to the UK or Ireland

Frank, I am not sure who or where the distributors are in Europe or Ireland but the Amsoil web page has about 1000 pages of information in it.
Old 07-30-2001, 03:45 PM
Irish Frank
AutoX

Smile

Thanks for the advice and tips guys. I am just back from Andorra ( a little principality between France and Spain), picked up 6 litres for £15! Also in Spain got it for £14.75 for 4 litres.
Old 07-30-2001, 04:39 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

My wife managed to find ten of the 15W-50 5 qt. jugs at our local Walmart for about $17 each.
Old 07-30-2001, 05:04 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Keep Searching Boys,

Like Anir, John and I found some at the Wally mart in Danville Va when we were at VIR for the same price: about $17.
Old 07-31-2001, 11:32 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by Anir:
<STRONG>My wife managed to find ten of the 15W-50 5 qt. jugs at our local Walmart for about $17 each.</STRONG>
I guess that is why I couldn't find any last night. I guess I need to tip the stock boys to hold some back for me. How many times are you going to change your oil this year anyway?

See you when I get back from Gingerman.

Quick Reply: You seen Mobil-1 oil in 5 quart jugs?