993 Forum 1995-1998

Newport Beach Area shop for PPI

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2001, 09:14 PM
cstreetdude
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newport Beach Area shop for PPI

I am looking at a 993 from the Newport Porsche Dealer, I want to get a PPI done before I waste time flying down to LA. Can anyone recommend a shop to do a good PPI on the car?

Peter
Old 07-13-2001, 11:44 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
I know of two shops I can recommend from recent personal experience. Hergesheimer Motorsports in Lake Forest, CA, and Randall Aase Motors in Fullerton, CA. The HMFIC (He My Friend In Charge) at Hergesheimer Motorsports is Mark Hergesheimer. His number is +1 (949) 458-7223.

THe HMFIC at Randall Aase Motors is Jeff Erickson. He is backed up by a Mr. Hose B. Their number is: (714) 992-2283.

You can't go wrong with either shop. If you are serious about the car, have it flat bedded up to the shop and they'll look the car over for you. Best of luck in the quest. Since this is the 993 Board, and if you haven't owned one in the past, get one. The 993 is the best of all possible worlds, a little "retro" on the inside, and high tech where it counts...suspension, brakes,etc.
Old 07-14-2001, 12:02 AM
Rob Wolford
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 39 Posts
I second the advice of the esteemed Mr. Schacht. If his 2 recommendations are too busy, also try Stan at Strasse Automotive in Costa Mesa (949) 645-1945 (I think - if not try information).

Stan has owned a shop specializing in Porsches for at least 10 years and he has done PPI's on 2 cars that I purchased previously. Good luck.
Old 07-14-2001, 01:43 AM
cstreetdude
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks all, great info. Someone at work just got a 996 and was telling me he got it over a 993 b/c it was quiter and easier to drive. I told him those are the exact reasons I want a 993, the sound of an aircooled flat six is like no other, and the 996 inside looks like anyone could have mass produced it. I can't wait!
Old 07-16-2001, 12:03 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Rob W.:
<STRONG>I second the advice of the esteemed Mr. Schacht. If his 2 recommendations are too busy, also try Stan at Strasse Automotive in Costa Mesa (949) 645-1945 (I think - if not try information).

Stan has owned a shop specializing in Porsches for at least 10 years and he has done PPI's on 2 cars that I purchased previously. Good luck.</STRONG>
For Stan, try (949) 645-1928. Information won't help, as he has an unlisted number. Also, don't try the local Porsche publications, as he doesn't advertise. He relies solely on word of mouth, and he stays quite busy.

BTW, I second Hergesheimers as well, but he's very busy too!
Old 07-16-2001, 12:46 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Talking

More unsolicited advice re. exhaust sound that you expressed a love for: The venerable and most honorable Mr. Wolford has installed a set of mufflers on his 993TT modified by Robin Sun, a Porsche aficionado from Atlanta. Robin takes a set of stock mufflers, cuts them open, does some magic to the innards, sews them up and ships them out to Porsche owners who wish to optimize the sound of their cars. I too have them on my 993 C2: Installed them about a year ago. Consider looking into this approach once you get the 993 car. If you love the stock sound, you are going to love the sound from Robin Sun's mufflers. Also note, if your car has the Porsche Sound Package (Mufflers and an airbox), the exhaust sound comes close to Robin's mufflers. If you buy the car in SoCal, post a request to the list and there will be a Lister in NoCal that will let you listen to Robin's mufflers in action. Once you have heard them…you’ll like them, almost guaranteed.

Assuming the car did not come with the Sound Package, also recommend you consider installing the Sound Package airbox. It looks similar to the factory airbox on the 993, but has a number of holes drilled in it to enhance air flow (sound). They are available from AJ USA in San Diego and or Performance Products out of Van Nuys, CA.

Me thinks it is good you did not go the way of the Lexus, whoops, I mean the 996. Welcome to the Club.
Robin Sun's Home Page

Quick Reply: Newport Beach Area shop for PPI