Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 conversion to 993 Twin Turbo-any one done this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2001, 01:36 AM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts
Post 993 conversion to 993 Twin Turbo-any one done this?

Has anyone taken a 993 engine and added factory twin turbos (pistons,manifold DME ect.) If so what were the results. any pros/cons. all parts are aval. and for a reasonable price, what do the sages of the list think?
Selling the car have now and buying a TT is not a option as the car is sorted (by the way is a 96 Cab.)
Old 11-01-2001, 05:47 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure what you mean by 'sorted' (put just the way you like it?) - more specifics would be nice...

But any way you slice it (or sort it ) it's really, really hard to justify the expense of this route vs. just trading the car for a factory turbo.

One of the reasons I can understand, is wanting to stick w. the ragtop. Personally, with that much power, I'd feel a bit insecure vs. a coupe, but then you're not buying/building this car for me .

There's a fellow here in Houston who had the RUF (BTR?) conversion done to his 993 cab, and has been very happy with the results. Of course, he was smart & didn't just do the motor; to be *safe*, you really must replace the suspension and brakes as well when you go to those levels of power.

You can surely find some posts in the archives - Greg Wilhoitt, or spelling close to that, is the man's name.
Old 11-01-2001, 06:04 PM
roger sf
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
I would not consider this type of conversion. You are far better off selling your Cab and buying a TT. The TT is not a Carrera with twin turbos. Brake system (not just calipers), suspension, gear box, electronics, exhaust are all different.

The conversion would be expensive both to do and expensive to keep running. Also, my belief is that you would be dramtically de-valuing your cab, as you'd have to search long and hard to find a buyer who wasn't afraid of the frankenstein you created.

I believe the math looks something like:

Conversion: $60K car + 30K (+?) conversion cost = $90K invested. In one year car is worth $45K, so you take a $45K hit.

Sell Cab/Buy Real TT: $60K proceeds + $30K investment = $90K for a very nice 993TT. In one year car is worth $80-90K, so you take a $10K hit and don't deal with all the headaches associated with the conversion.
Old 11-01-2001, 06:56 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts
Thanks Robert/Roger,
I guess I just got a litte crazy with the thought of all that power... The cab is set up with some pretty nice upgrades (roll bar,Coil overs, RS sway bars,Big Reds ect.)I think I will go with the LWF upgrade and a custom gear box with steel syncros for track performance. These upgrades can be taken off in a couple of years when I can justify a dedicated track car. At 10K for the turbo parts and another 3-4K for the labor I got dizzy with that thought of a extra 120 horsies. Good dose of reality from you guys, thanks!
Old 11-01-2001, 07:21 PM
993 4S
Intermediate

For 6,600 dollars, you can get a TPC (www.turboperformance.com) supercharger kit sent to your dealership to be installed. The kit adds 100+ rear wheel horsepower. Some people are very skeptical about just bolting a supercharger onto your 993's engine, especially w/o an intercooler (although you can always buy one). The ones who seem to be the most skepitcal are unfortunately the ones that are the most experienced and knowledgeable in dealing with Porsche engines . Obviously it is going to decrease the reliability of the car since it's just a smiple bolt on, but to be able to have 100+ hp for so cheep, I would like to know what the major disadvantages of supercharging the car are. To make absolutely sure that supercharging would NOT be a smart idea, next Tuesday (no school because of election day ) my father and I are going to talk to the mechanic at our dealership. I'm pretty sure he's going to tell us that it would be a bad decision based on what educated and experienced Porsche enthusiasts on this site have said, but it's always better to have many opinions. Plus, it would be nice to have 100+ hp for only 6,600 dollars (sounds too good to be true, so it probably is). Also (probably a stupid question) but for anyone who knows, would adding an intercooler, while still running maximum reccomended boost(4.5 psi)increase reliabilty??
Old 11-01-2001, 08:56 PM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Eric, for what it is worth, look at the bright side. It is more fun sometimes to drive a lower hp car at higher rpms ("sometimes" being the important word here ). And considering the way you seem to have upgraded your car, it can probably be driven with a lot of confidence (= fun).

You wont catch me saying that you need to master what you have before you upgrade, etc., since if I believed in that I'd have to get into a tricycle

BTW, I agree with the others. Notwithstanding the nice upgrades you have, there is still a lot more to making it a durable and safe turbo car.
Old 11-01-2001, 10:00 PM
roger sf
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Here is just such a modified cab. Don't know what it will ultimately sell for.

993 Cab TT on Ebay

Quick Reply: 993 conversion to 993 Twin Turbo-any one done this?