Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying 993 - Parked for 15 years

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2024, 09:42 AM
shft22
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

This car was parked on a cement driveway and luck will have it that the area received sun mostly in the morning, the rest of the day was shaded. I am excited about this, but like stated it all depends on the price. I will post more details as soon as I get more access to the car.
Old 06-21-2024, 11:49 PM
JimPA
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by shft22
This car was parked on a cement driveway and luck will have it that the area received sun mostly in the morning, the rest of the day was shaded. I am excited about this, but like stated it all depends on the price. I will post more details as soon as I get more access to the car.
Check the bottom corners of not only the windshield but also the back glass. In the 22 years I’ve owned my car, I have fixed both areas twice on a car that was my DD until 2009 but has otherwise been garaged during my ownership. I use a blower on those corners after each wash to get out the water but even that wasn’t sufficient.

Between the rain and salty air in your area this could be an issue. Nonetheless, fixing this particular problem isn’t that expensive or involved. Of course replacing glass that is worn or broken during removal will add to the cost. I wouldn’t reject this car just because of rust in one or more of those corners. Find someone who has done it before and who has an experienced “glass person” that can handle (the art of properly) reinstalling front and rear glass on these cars.
Old 06-24-2024, 11:36 AM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 471 Likes on 310 Posts

unless they're giving this car away, I'D RUN from this. You're going to be WAY deeper into the wallet than you think.
The following 2 users liked this post by PRSWILL:
Gbos1 (06-25-2024), SwayBar (07-05-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 11:56 AM
Kiwi01
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I would think this could be an interesting project ... of course it would need to be a great price, nearly rust free and you would need lots of time. A Porsche of any age could end up a money trap, but if one is creative, takes their time it could be doable. There are lots of folks out here with original parts in good shape. Good Luck and let us know if you take it on. These are the stories I love to follow.

Last edited by Kiwi01; 06-24-2024 at 11:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
serval (06-28-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 03:55 AM
serval
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

You have a lot of experience and I am guessing you enjoy spending time wrenching on cars (therapy I guess). I would take my time diagnosing as much about the car as it can be possibly done at this stage, and then take a calculated risk and go for it.
Old 06-28-2024, 04:52 AM
serval
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by PRSWILL
unless they're giving this car away, I'D RUN from this. You're going to be WAY deeper into the wallet than you think.
yeah, sound advice if you're right, but you don't really know; just going on feeling here nothing quantitative. Still think he should do the research, put in some diagnostic work and decide after
Old 06-28-2024, 09:22 AM
shft22
Instructor

Still waiting on the owners, the process is a bit complicated but eventually it will happen. I am keeping an open clear mind here, at a good price this has potential. What I am trying to pinpoint what that price point is, and it is difficult without an in depth inspection of the car something I probably wont be able to do, but doing a high level inspection should at least get me an idea of what needs to be done, and then go from there.
Old 06-28-2024, 09:29 AM
Haalex
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

This sounds like an exciting project, especially if you like wrenching !

However, if you want this to be financially viable, it's true this will likely require a low buy-in price. What colour is the car? And what options does it have? Is it a manual? Any pictures of it?

I've bought a really clean, well serviced 996 and it still cost me close to 5 figures in the first year of ownership. And 993 parts / labour are more expensive.
Old 06-28-2024, 09:41 AM
shft22
Instructor

The car is green with beige interior and is manual, not sure about other options at this time. The car is under a car cover so can't take pictures now but will take some as soon as I can and post them here.

I know what you mean about the 996, I bought an 02 C4s a few years back, but really thinking about it the money I have spent have been mostly to make the car more reliable and better overall, alway keeping in mind is a 20 year old car and some things are just going to be what they are. My idea with the 993 is the same, I want a car to drive and enjoy not a showroom piece.
Haalex (06-30-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 10:16 AM
Dplus
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Re: possible rust in windshield corners:
Original owner, California car, fair-weather driven only, aways garaged. This rust is from regular washing only.

Make sure you check, these cars do rust in several places.
Best of luck,
Darell
Old 06-28-2024, 02:07 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 574 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by shft22
The car is green with beige interior and is manual, not sure about other options at this time. The car is under a car cover so can't take pictures now but will take some as soon as I can and post them here.

I know what you mean about the 996, I bought an 02 C4s a few years back, but really thinking about it the money I have spent have been mostly to make the car more reliable and better overall, alway keeping in mind is a 20 year old car and some things are just going to be what they are. My idea with the 993 is the same, I want a car to drive and enjoy not a showroom piece.
I wouldn't be deterred at all. Provided no visible rust, motor turns, and it's a decent price, I'd go for it. These are great cars to wrench on. I tried to pick up another 993 a few years back in a similar situation....no luck.
ed devinney (07-08-2024)
Old 06-30-2024, 12:51 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 471 Likes on 310 Posts

When you're ready to make an offer, consider working backward from what a pristine, rebuilt car value might be- then subtract the costs associated with getting it there- be aggressive as you never know what yo'll find once you start pealing back the layers of this onion! If you can get to a reasonable price and feel decent about the investments you're going to make and enjoy this kind of thing- awesome. However, my gut tells me you'll get to a number- maybe even negative on the add-back that the owner won't like, and well there's you're dilemma. Keep us posted!
Old 06-30-2024, 05:17 PM
IainM
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 244 Posts

Can you get an oil sample, just drain a bit from the engine case. Have it analyzed. Even just seeing the color would be informative.
Old 07-01-2024, 12:38 AM
BOBOYDDS
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Why wouldnt you just offer to cover all costs to tow it to a reputable shop and do a PPI? Its easy for some of us who own one say we wouldnt pay more than $xx,xxx but more likely than not a lot of owners on this forum wouldnt accept less than 50k. I may be exaggerating a bit because I have not seen the car.
Price keeps going up! Some including myself think any price over what the market was when we purchased is too much. My range was 50k-ish 8 years ago and I spoke to some local guys in my area that had 993s telling me that was a lot but thats just because they got their car way before me for 35k.
I would get a PPI. Ironically when I bought mine I did not get a. PPI, I bought it sight unseen which luckily for me paid off. Looking back, I would not buy one without a PPI.

Last edited by BOBOYDDS; 07-02-2024 at 03:11 AM.
ed devinney (07-08-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 02:23 AM
GJSPIN
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

While others have provide some great insight to consider about this vehicle. My initial concerns start with after living in S. Florida for many years and that the vehicle may have significant mold and mildew in the interior? Getting that out of the interior will be both very difficult and costly. In addition, what damage if any have the rodents done as it was a possible safe haven for them for years? The brake fluid as we all know is hydroscopic and with the humidity in S. Fl combined with the extensive time in the brake system that could mean the ABS system is in serious trouble which is $$$. Last, the damage that the fuel has done to the entire fuel system will be another very costly matter with this car.

Last edited by GJSPIN; 07-07-2024 at 04:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Buying 993 - Parked for 15 years