Sponsored by:

Supercharger effect on insurance...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 01:37 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 129 Posts
Question Supercharger effect on insurance...?

My friend has a 96 C4S on which he is thinking of putting a TPC SC. I know the effect of this on the rear tires and the smile quotient, but it occured to me that it could have a dramatic effect on his insurance. Should he tell his insurance company, or just document the mods as he goes along? Cecil or anyone else out there have any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 06-25-2004, 01:03 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it depends on how much you spend on the SC versus what would happen to the rates. I would keep records but not report them. If something happened to the car at someone else's fault, hopefully their insurance would take the hit regardless. Its a risk though. Just be careful, some insurance companies are not very mod-friendly as we've seen on this board.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:18 AM
kary993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you do a search on my insurance company post back in March, they attempted to drop me after a drunk driver hit me because I "modified my car for acceleration and speed". I ultimately over turned that ruling, but if I had installed a supercharger they would have dropped me for sure. I would be careful about this since insurance companies classify cars based upon the stock versions and would not know how to classify a supercharged car. Therefore they my choose to not insure the car.

Quick Reply: Supercharger effect on insurance...?