Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeff 993TT - did you fix your paint chips?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 02:18 AM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
Post Jeff 993TT - did you fix your paint chips?

Hey Jeff -

Did you ever get your paint chips fixed or did you have to repaint the hood? In either case, how did the match come out? I've heard that Polar Silver is one of the harder colors to match. Where did you end up?

Greg
Old 06-04-2002, 02:49 AM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Greg..

Nope, not yet.. I haven't gotten around to that yet. Unfortunately, my car is still at the shop for some warranty work, so I haven't gotten around to thinking about cosemetic things quite yet.

I met ZCAT3 ( aka Bill ) last weekend at the autox in Marina. He had a polar silver 993 cab which had the hood repainted and he was very satisfied with the results. He's now got a polar silver 993 TT. Based on his recommendation, I'm going to go with his guy. The shop is called Dell's in Cambell, 408 295 7446.

From what I have heard from people, polar silver is ok to match if you repaint the entire panel. And there was also somebody mentioning something about painting left to right, or something to that effect. I don't know about the validity about the left/right thing, but repainting the entire panel makes sense.

Regarding cost, Bill said that he had the hood/bumper cover repainted for around $1200 and warned me of the long wait at Dell's, usually about a month lead time.

Some other top shops that I am going to look into is Body Styles in San Jose, also very highly recommended by some other polar silver rennlisters.

It seems that, at the rate that I am going, you'll probably get your car repainted before I do.

Jeff
Old 06-04-2002, 11:27 AM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The left to right thing was me. The Mark D had my 1996 Polar Silver TT hood painted up here in Westlake Village, and the guy at the shop told him that the direction that the paint was laid down had to be the same as direction that was originally painted at the factory to get the metallic ingredients in the paint to lay down the same way. I don't know if it's true or not, but it's a delicious piece or arcane P-car lore, don't you think?

P.S. The car looks like new.
Old 06-04-2002, 11:58 AM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jeff,

My friend took his Artic Silver 97 Cab to Dell's for a fender job and new front clip. The work was top notch. At his recommendation, I took my car to Dell's for an estimate. The shop will leave you unimpressed as it's essentially a 356 restoration operation and is quite small and untidy. Dell is a very nice man who does all work by hand and REALLY enjoys talking.

Overall, the shop is a bit scary, but the work I've seen was nearly perfect after the initial attempt and flawless after a follow-up visit.

I guess the results speak for themselves.

Matt

Quick Reply: Jeff 993TT - did you fix your paint chips?