Sponsored by:

Adding second remote to 993

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 05:21 PM
garychios
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding second remote to 993

I have been reading a lot of old posts. I am confused again.

First thing first, I need a spare key and remote. I guess I will order this from the local dealer, unless someone can point me to a good Porsche dealer online. Then I figure I need to program the remotes. What procedure do I follow? I cant figure out which proceudre to use on p-car, because the p-car site has waay to many listed on that page. I have a 98 cab. My current remote works. Do I need to know any codes? I dont think I have them.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:59 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gary, yes you need a key code. Most any dealer can get that for you with proof of purchase, registration, ect.. While you are at it you can get the original radio code if you don't have that either. I received a piece of paper with that and some more info on it. Then simply follow the directions in the car's manual - it does make sense and will work. I wouldn't do it at night or in a closed garage because I'm sure you'll set that loud **** alarm off. I know I did at night and in a closed garage and it was very unpleasant. Also, you will need to have your existing remote handy as well because you will have to reset it at the same time as the new one. Good Luck -
Old 06-22-2004, 07:26 PM
Tim993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Gary, I had to do the exact same thing a few months ago. JD is right on the money regarding getting the code and programming. I sent you a PM with a little cheat sheet I wrote for the procedure that I made up from the instructions in the manual and shop manual. It maybe of some use to you.

Tim
Old 06-23-2004, 01:43 AM
Sachin Misra
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Tim993,

Can you email me the cheat sheet as well? I just found an un-used remote from my prev pcar which I'd like to program for use with my current car. Please email me at smisra1968@hotmail.com
Old 06-23-2004, 10:22 AM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Tim,

You sent me a copy of your cheat sheet several months ago when I added a remote, Thanks! I had a little trouble with step one, the part where you have to unlock, lock and unlock the door. This is also covered in the manual. I don't know if it was specific to my car, but if I tried locking the car with the key from outside, I activated the alarm. If I was in the car and did the sequence with the console switch I could not get the light sequence to work as described.

What I ended up doing is rolling down the window and sticking a spare key in the door with me in the car. I then locked the car with the console switch waited for a few seconds and then unlocked, locked, and unlocked the car with key in the door. Probably looked pretty strange to any onlookers but it worked! The rest of the procedure worked as described in the manual.

Shawn
Old 06-23-2004, 10:41 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

My brother just bought a 1997 C4S and needs a new remote and switchblade. Any leads?

Would also appreciate the info on setting it up! (JLopez@qldg.com)

TIA, Juan
Old 06-23-2004, 12:25 PM
Sachin Misra
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Tim,

Thanks for the cheat-sheet. I'll use it later today. One question though...

All the Lock/Unlock sequences have to be done with the key or can I use my existing remote for the sequences?
Old 06-23-2004, 12:32 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Sachin,

I had to use a key. You also may want to read my post above dealing with the problem I had doing this lock-unlock procedure.

Juan,

I purchased my remote from Sunset for <$80. It was NOT the switchblade type.

Shawn
Old 06-23-2004, 12:32 PM
Tim993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Shawn, I am not sure what went wrong with the initial sequence for you. I think that it might have something to do with alarm being set when locking from the remote? When I did it my car was unlocked for awhile and I was able to just open the door and lock the door from the console and then after waiting maybe a minute or two I again used the console button to initiate the unlock, lock, unlock sequence.

It looks like there might be enough interest for me to just go ahead and post the sheet in a thread. I tried to "dumb it down" as much as possible when I wrote it due to the time sensitve nature of steps.

1. Get into car and lock the door. Review your cheat sheet.
2. Unlock, lock and unlock the door right after another. ( 5 second limit to do this)
3. Open the door right after you unlock it in step 2 and turn on the ignition. The ignition is in the on positon right before it engages the starter. -10 second limit
4. Wait for the warning light to go off (it is between 3 and 4 o'clock on the dash clock) . This should happen within 15 seconds.
5. After the light goes off, switch the ingnition off and then back on. -5 second limit.
6. Wait for the warning light to start flashing after 15 seconds.
7. After the light starts flashing, you have 5 seconds to start entering your code. Note that the igniton is all ready at the on position at this point so the sequence to enter the code is on-off for each number. The number 3 for example is on-off, on-off, on-off.
8. After each number is input the warning light will come on to acknowledge the correct entry..
9. After all four numbers have been correctly entered the warning light will start flashing.
10. Now press the remote button and keep pressed until the little red light on the door starts flashing. Now press the button on your next remote and keep it pressed until the red door light is flashing again and so on.

This work on 96 models and later. 95's look to be much more involved.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:02 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Juan,

To followup on Shawn's post, you want to buy a "retro-fit" key kit and get rid of the switchblade thing completely. The retro-kit gives you a key head and USA style loose remote that the remote's pc board goes into.

See Dan's DIY at Robin's P-Car site....

http://p-car.com/diy/key/
Old 06-23-2004, 01:41 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Cool, thanks guys!
Old 06-23-2004, 04:26 PM
Tom Pepper
Addict
Rennlist Member

You guys make my day every time the topic of the "immobilizer" comes up. Small compensation for driving a 95.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:31 PM
garychios
Pro

Thanks everyone, I will try this once I order the remotes.

Thanks again
Old 06-23-2004, 05:20 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by mike cap
Juan,

To followup on Shawn's post, you want to buy a "retro-fit" key kit and get rid of the switchblade thing completely. The retro-kit gives you a key head and USA style loose remote that the remote's pc board goes into.

See Dan's DIY at Robin's P-Car site....

http://p-car.com/diy/key/
I actually went to my local Porsche dealer today to do this very same key setup. When I gave them the part number for the "hand remote housing", they said it was $55. I told them to keep it.

So, where can I get one for $17 like it says on the DIY site?
Old 06-23-2004, 05:39 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Gert has them. Carnewal.com. Look under 993 Electronics.

P93 Key Conversion
Everything needed to convert a switchblade key with integrated remote to a keyholder with flashlight with seperate housing for the remote.
Price : 33 Euro/set. Dollar Conversion
Contact us for more information

Quick Reply: Adding second remote to 993