993 Forum 1995-1998

993 ECU swap issue.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 11:28 PM
C4Spolar
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by systemsc
This also occurs when using the Porsche PIWIS tester and when the DME ECM has been modified. This typically doesn't occur when using a generic OBDII tester and reading actual values.
As mentioned up-thread, consider using a generic scanner to provide more info on your problem. You might also consider again testing the '98 DME ECM on the other
vehicle where it ran the engine, and using the Durametric, and whether the immobilizer has been bypassed on the '98 DME ECM, or some other modification. You can jumper the starter
relay (30 to 87) and not use the immobilizer (no remote) on the other vehicle to test whether a bypass modification was done to it too, when starting.

Hopefully, both vehicles are turbos, and your '98 DME ECM is for a turbo.

Note: I seen where some 993 turbo ECMs being sold have been likely modified, i.e. the DME ECM has been opened. Has your '98 DME ECM been opened?
Also, a '98 DME in a '96 will develop an EVAP fault code, i.e. the emission system in the '98 DME ECM was changed.
I know for sure the 98 DME hasn't been open or flashed. The WLSII Turbo S kit or package was purchased from Gert Carnawal in Belgium back in the days and sat for almost 25 years on a shelf in its original packaging, it included the DME with 2 K24 turbo's and 2 dual exhaust tips. I'm the 2nd owner of that kit.

The kit was used for 2 summers in 1998, then removed and shelved, the owner sold is 98 993 turbo in 2000 but kept the WLSII kit.

Last edited by C4Spolar; 05-15-2024 at 11:33 PM.
Old 05-16-2024, 03:35 PM
jay@EZimmoblock.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 383 Likes on 227 Posts

One test that would be helpful is to put your immo and your 98 ECU in the test 993.
- If it starts, your ECU and your immo are ok. Suspicion would then point to something else about your 993 (connectors, wiring, sensors, etc).
- If it doesn't start (and did with the test car's immo)- the immo is the problem.
It sounds like you have the seats out in both 993's so this should be easy to do.

Last edited by jay@EZimmoblock.com; 05-16-2024 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-16-2024, 07:01 PM
systemsc
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 95 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by jay@EZimmoblock.com
One test that would be helpful is to put your immo and your 98 ECU in the test 993.
- If it starts, your ECU and your immo are ok. Suspicion would then point to something else about your 993 (connectors, wiring, sensors, etc).
- If it doesn't start (and did with the test car's immo)- the immo is the problem.
It sounds like you have the seats out in both 993's so this should be easy to do.
See post 8 & 9.
http://www.systemsc.com/

Quick Reply: 993 ECU swap issue.