Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear center lens repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2024 | 08:44 PM
Kiwi01
Rennlist Member

Default Rear center lens repair

Could not find any reference with search besides buffing and polishing. Tool fell off of work stand ... and my clumsy attempt to save it ... fortunately only hit the center combo light but left a gouge ... too deep to buff it out. My choices seems to be: live with it, get a replacement ($$$) or try something DIY.

Anyone ever try to fill, blend and polish a rear center lens? I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any help ...

Old 05-13-2024 | 05:54 AM
redfrog
Rennlist Member

I would try filling with a small artist brush and clear paint of some sort - lacquer, poly, cat clear coat, maybe even polyester. Of course need to be careful with comparability. Sand flat and polish. I have not done this but seems doable to me. But before you spend hours doing this, confirm there are no other defects that would really tell you to just buy a new one.
Old 05-13-2024 | 08:49 AM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

That looks like more of a crack. If it's cracked, game over. You won't get it out. The lens isn't that thick, so if it is a deep gouge, may be best to live with it.
Old 05-13-2024 | 10:30 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hi Kiwi,
There are a number of ways to address this. Some run the risk of making the cosmetics worse not better. First, I would try buffing it out with a polishing paste made for plastics. It may not remove it but may reduce its visibility by smoothing the plastic in the gouge. The next option would be to carefully clean it of wax and fill it with a little clear urethane spray from a home improvement store. Spray a small amount out into a cup and fill the scratch with a few layers of clear until it fills above the surrounding lens face. Then, sand it down flush with a little 1500 or 2000-grit wet sandpaper and buff it out. You can then consider if over-spraying the entire lens is needed to blend the surface and fill any artifacts from sanding. Because of the number of variables, the results may not be satisfactory or even may make things worse.
For this reason, consider just leaving it alone. Besides one can't see it from the driver position.

Andy
Old 05-14-2024 | 09:05 PM
IainM
Drifting

It’s a tricky one. I ended up following Andy’s advice and ignoring it. At $735 it’s an expensive piece of plastic. And of course once you replace it the corner lenses look shabby so it’s really a $1300 investment in cosmetics.
every time I clean the car I second guess my decision.
Old 05-14-2024 | 09:43 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

This is an easy call. Think of all the money you saved in bondo and paint, and treat yourself to new set of tail lights.

Quick Reply: Rear center lens repair