Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: Epoxy floor coating for your garage

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 05:12 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 723 Likes on 333 Posts

mo, I'm sure it will be exceptionally slippery when it gets wet. I'm sure I'll have a few falls because of it. It will be easier to clean compared to the grippy stuff, fleck etc. I'll just have to watch it when we pull into the garage during a rainy day.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:43 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally posted by Randy M
I'll just have to watch it when we pull into the garage during a rainy day.
Just pretend you just downshifted into 2nd, have your left thumb on your pit speed limiter button, pulled a tear-off, flipped up your visor for some fresh air and looking for your outside front tire changer waving you into your pitbox...remembering the transition from the pit lane asphalt to concrete is slippery and to be careful on the brakes as you dont want to clip any of your crew... nice and easy does it...then your safely in your garage
Old 06-22-2004, 07:25 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

I just ordered Kiwi tile for my garage. I dont do any heavy work or jacking, just cleaning, polishing, waxing. I'll post pics when it arrives and I install. Probably 2-3 weeks.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:37 PM
Randy M
Drifting

I just hope my wife doesn't slide the Tahoe through the back wall....
Old 06-22-2004, 08:52 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your garage floor looks fantastic!

I wish I could use an epoxy type paint but I have what looks to be spring water pushing up into the cement. The floor looks kind of wet during hard rains and efflorescence on the surface when it dries. I think the water is pushing up from underneath as the hill up above has some drainage ditches and the water travels underground and pushes up in the garage. There is no way to do paint.

So I am looking at tiles or the rollout stuff.

Anybody tried the vinyl rollout covering? I am afraid it is going to move around and how is it when you have to put a jack on it. You could I suppose put a scrap of the stuff under the jack to keep it from cutting the underneath vinyl.

Cheers
Old 06-22-2004, 10:29 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I put basic vinyl tiles (12"x12") down 10 years ago and it has done great. Easy to install, easy to mix colors and make a design (maybe a checkered flag look llike someone on the board?), and easy to maintain. We put basic floor wax on once and a while. It does not seem to be too slippery.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:42 PM
Zed.
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 143 Posts

Go to Home Depot. Get the Armstrong self stick nonwax tiles, 69 cents apiece. Black and white. Sweep it out, no fancy prep, slap it down in any pattern you want. Once they are down, theyre down. You wont look back.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:58 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

C4S/914-6

You indicate "self-stick." Does this mean that you didn't apply any other glue?

Thanks!
Old 06-23-2004, 12:03 AM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by C4S/914-6
Go to Home Depot. Get the Armstrong self stick nonwax tiles, 69 cents apiece. Black and white. Sweep it out, no fancy prep, slap it down in any pattern you want. Once they are down, theyre down. You wont look back.
Wow this sounds as appealing as can be to me.

I originally wanted to use epoxy paint on my "new" garage (now almost a year old!) but Randy's is one of the few success stories I've read. Many people seem to have trouble with epoxy lifting. I have considered race deck and kiwi too, but (obviously) have been procrastinating.

I see you are in Michigan--how do the self-stick tiles do in the Winter? They stick on just fine through all the freeze and heat cycles?

Anybody else use these or similar tiles with success? I'd love a cheap and easy solution like this...
Old 06-23-2004, 12:31 AM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I just spent an hour typing and my pic file was too big and I lost the whole darn thing. So to summarize, Randy, be careful with the epoxy. Most people have lifting problems after a few years (I did), but maybe the grinding will make yours last. Bruce, i've got the rollout stuff in my
'regular" garage. It moves a little but not too bad, I don't think it will last in a garage where floor jacks / jackstands are used. It is pretty thin. BTW, Sam's Club Online had it (about a year ago) for 1/2 the price of most other places (IIRC, Griot's was actually the next cheapest). I searched "rubber floor" or something like that on the web and came up with an industrial floor that is used in warehouses with forklift traffic (I have the poop at the office if anyone cares). However, this stuff is about $4 per sq. ft. and I decided my kid's education was more important than my garage floor (I know my priorities or screwed up:d ). Short story long, I decided to try the Armstrong glue down tiles (the self-stick ones seemed kind of soft). They were 57 cents a piece, the color goes all the way through, and they look like new when they are cleaned and re-waxed. I used all black where the car parks to prevent tire marks, and I glued the tiles under or near where the tires will be with something similar to liquid nails to keep them from creeping under the weight of the car. Anyway, any of you guys considering a floor, do a search, there is a lot of other info on the 993 board. Here's a pic of my "porsche" garage with the Armstrong tiles.
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2004, 12:36 AM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's another pic with the car. This was before the liquid nails fix, so I had the carpet down to prevent the tiles from creeping (it worked, but bugged me that I had to park on a piece of carpet after I put down such a nice floor). The carpet has since been cut up to use as pads under the jackstands.
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2004, 02:11 AM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Bob,

Your garage looks great...Your car looks awsome parked in it's place there. I have tiles in my Porsche garage down on the lower floor and there is no water creeping in there. Weird, the upper garage that gets used all the time with the daily drivers looks like sh*t and has the water vapor issue. So....I wonder if I can use the self stick or the plain tiles with masic. I am OK with putting down tile adhesive if it would stick.

Anybody try trat approach?

Oh...I did see Sam's Club by searching Google but it might be old. Great price for the roll out stuff.

Cheers!
Old 06-23-2004, 02:15 AM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Looks like Sam's Club still has the roll out vinyl stuff for a good price.

Sorry about the typos in the previous...shoulda said mastic as in floor tile adhesive.

Another round here!
Old 06-23-2004, 02:47 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I believe I have the same stuff as Bob used. It's glue down with a special mastic glue that is made for these tiles. I did minimal prep (just a light cleaning). Once you set the first courses straight, its really easy to slap down the tiles. Ten years later I have had no problems with tiles moving or coming up; I think this mastic glue is very tough and durable, and I would be wary of the self-stick tiles. The tiles are somewhat stiff and brittle although once they are down, I think this makes them stronger. I haven't looked at it but my guess is the self-stick tiles and the roll out vinyl may not be as durable.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:35 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Bob, most epoxy floors do lift from at least hot tire pickup. My last two floors lifted from hot tires. This time around I used a much better product and I cranked up the prep work a few notches. It would have been nice to find a shot blaster but the diamond grinder was a close second. If it starts looking crappy after a few years I can abrade the surface a little and add another coat.I also thought about rolling out a polyurethane top coat but am not quite sure what the real benefit would be for doing so. The Armstrong tiles seem to be real popular as well. Your garage looks like a showroom

Bruce, You can check for hydrostatic pressure by taping down 1 sqft sections of plastic around your garage. From the sounds of it though you are surrounded by water

Thanks for all the comments guys

Quick Reply: OT: Epoxy floor coating for your garage