Sponsored by:

Pressure Wash Underside

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 11:23 AM
Agro1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pressure Wash Underside

Well now that I've finally had the time to get my car up on jackstands and poke around under there, MAN IS IT FILTHY !! The transmission case is covered with this black goo that is the consistency or gum almost - is that just a buildup of road grime ??

I want to get my mask and snorkle out and go to town with the pressure washer, degreaser and a stiff bristle brush - Have any of you guys done this ?? I don't think there is much I'd need to be careful about damaging down there except the random wires and O2 sensor(s). Any other suggestions ??
Old 06-21-2004, 11:36 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been under my car a lot the last few weekends, and also want to clean it up. I think I'm gonna start with Simple Green and a scouring pad before I use a pressure washer.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:46 AM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Hmmm.. Yep.......

First - you will be taking off both grime, and under that - you'll see traces of the factory cosmoline.....

Start with a good degreaser - like GUNK. You'll want that for the buildup in the castings and the corners where the grime is thick. While it's on - use a brass/bronze wire brush (you'll want several sizes) and work through it.. Power wash all that off and let dry....

Next - use Simple Green - brush the remaining build-up off - and power wash again. Try to keep the power wash out of the back-up switch and try not to get the CV boots (you don't want them to split) and the shift boot. Pretty much anything else is fair game.

And oh - wear cloths you don't mind throwing away after you are finished
Old 06-21-2004, 01:28 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Look into the use of Simple Green a little more as it is pretty harsh and I thought I read it had a detrimental effect on Aluminum (seems to promote oxidation?). Be prepared to get really dirty and wet. Goggles (not wrap around glasses) are a must. Also you don’t necessarily want the stuff flowing into your yard or flowers.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:19 PM
Agro1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tips John. I have a great degreaser product I found at Costco, I'm sure someone else on here uses it - can't remember the name...has an orange scent to it. Anyway, thanks again..I'll try and post some before and after pics.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:45 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

My pleasure..!

Also - follow Brian's advice about the goggles - and, which got me thinking - RUBBER GLOVES! If you get too much on exposed skin, while brushing - it dries out your hands really quickly (something about the "degreaser" - which apparently - is really effective on exposed skin ) Also - the run-off from most degreasers will eat the top layer of a paved driveway, if left standing (ask me how I know this tid-bit??! )

And yes - please post before/after pics!!

Quick Reply: Pressure Wash Underside