Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who wants to sell me a carbon fiber heater bypass tube?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 10:26 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Who wants to sell me a carbon fiber heater bypass tube?

Ok, after Bilstein HD install yesterday (separate post and photos to come), I decided once and for all that heater is not going back in. I had bought an RS heater bypass tube from a Rennlister a few months ago, as he was going with headers. I think his car is a real RS, but either way, the tube he gave me absolutely will not fit. Of course, we found this out yesterday after we took a Dremel tool to it to cut a hole for the air sensor that plugs in above the dist. vent tube. Anyway, I blocked off some of the open ducts back there and left the heater out. Car goes to shop tonight for alignment. I want to have them sort out the bird's nest of wires I left back there and prep. it such that I can just pop in a CF bypass tube when I get the car back. Anyone have one for sale, or know where to pick one up that 100% WILL fit my car? Thanks.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:31 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ok, just checked Gert's site and his heater bypass tube looks IDENTICAL to the one I have that won't fit. What's up with this?
Old 06-21-2004, 11:02 AM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

Rick,
What end wont fit? I used to have a CF bypass tube on my 96, there was only one guy making the part so I assume it is the same that many of us have used. The bottom portion took a little bit of work to make it line up properly but it should just slip into place...
Old 06-21-2004, 11:12 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

The bottom part fit fine. But the top part was about 2" too high to mate into the rubber piece on top of the fan housing. Is there another conversion piece needed here? It kills me that I have to have a shop deal with this, but it's gonna be there anyway for the alignment.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:55 AM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

Rick/Kim,
That is the part. The stock 993 part will not work with the bypass. You need to get the 964 part (about 18.00 from the dealer) With this part you will have no problems getting it to fit.
Good catch Kim! I forgot about that part
Old 06-21-2004, 12:06 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. My roommate works at the dealer, so I'll have it delivered to the house tonight! Maybe I can even install it before I drop the car off at the shop and save myself some embarrassment.

Quick Reply: Who wants to sell me a carbon fiber heater bypass tube?