Sponsored by:

Distributor Rotor Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 09:44 PM
Agro1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distributor Rotor Question

I've removed both distributor caps and have the rotors exposed. The rotor on the right (looking at the car from the rear) seems to spin freely. The rotor on the left, the one down further that is harder to get to, it remains fixed in one position and cannot be turned. I was under the impression that they BOTH should be in the same spot (TDC) when you remove the distributor...Is this normal for one to spin freely and the other to remain fixed ?
Old 06-20-2004, 10:15 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Luke,

I copied this from Robin's site.

Diagnosis

There are a couple ways to verify operation of the belt. First, remove the secondary distributor cap and see if the rotor spins freely. If it spins – at all – the belt doesn’t have a hold of it. The other way is to remove the input plug from the top of the primary distributor cap, forcing the car to run on only the secondary distributor. If it starts and runs – no problem. No start, no belt.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:55 PM
Agro1
Banned

Thanks Ron...Well, I did read that, and that's what made me nervous. I pulled both rotors and dust covers, inspected the belt (as much as possible) and it looks fine. I then put the rotors back on in the same position and was not able to spin the primary rotor. Not sure why it moved to begin with, then was ok. Regardless, I've got 52K on the clock and will be sending it off to Steve W. for a "freshening".
Old 06-20-2004, 11:44 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Luke,
Your sending the car to Steve W or just the rotors ?
Old 06-21-2004, 12:13 AM
Agro1
Banned

Phil - I'm gonna ship Steve the rotors to see if he can clean them up a bit. C'mon man , I'm yanking the distributor and sending it to him. I have new rotors and caps but I also want to get the belt replaced considering the mileage. I know I have to turn the motor to TDC before I remove the dist., and I've read Robin's diy for it. I'm still a bit unclear on how to do it though - any help would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: Distributor Rotor Question