993 Forum 1995-1998

brake pad wear indicator light

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 08:22 PM
David C2S
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post brake pad wear indicator light

My brake pad wear indicator light went on the other day, but does not remain on, or come on every time I start the car, as I would expect. Is this normal? The car just turned 41K miles, and I assume that the brakes are orignial - I'm the second owner, and do not have any documentation to any brake work having been done.

Also, and perhaps related, more that occaisonally after normal driving a burning smell emenates from the rear wheels. Any clue what this is?

I took one of each of the front and rear wheels off the car to visually inspect the brakes. The calipers are fine, no oil leaks, and the discs are in great shape, though they could probably be shaved down a mm or two - there is a bit of a lip at the edge. The pads do seem thin, though.

Thanks
Old 07-22-2002, 08:54 PM
cmoss

Pads sound low. If you choose to have your disks turned, please post your results.
Thanks,
Chris
Old 07-22-2002, 09:05 PM
Jan_M
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My brake warning light came on just like yours. Lit sporadically for a while a then was always on. I was able to drive home, 300 Kms, before it was on all the time.
When I replaced the front pads, wires and sensors, I could see there was approx 2 mms left on them.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:46 AM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine had been coming on as well. Not immediately upon start-up, but about the time I was backing out of the driveway. But sometimes it would stay off the whole drive - or come on in the middle. I finally found that when I turned the wheel all the way to the left it would short out and come on. I had my wife watch the light and I worked the cables until I could isolate exactly where the short was in the wires. Unfortunately, it turned out to be the main cable that runs from the plug socket up through the fender wall into the car so a new wear indicator cable/unit wouldn't help. I was able to isolate the exact spot - and eventually wire - so I stripped back the insulation and spliced out a new section of wire and re-sealed everything up. Kind of temporary for now but at least the light stays off.
Old 07-23-2002, 12:17 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The brake wear indicator circuit is a closed loop which is broken when the pad is so worn that the rotor grinds through the sensor contact cutting the loop & triggering the light. Therefore, it would be prudent to change pads when the light first begins to come on, even if it's intermittent. The pads are really low at that point which can decrease braking ability. I'm sure someone will correct me if my understanding is incorrect.
Old 07-24-2002, 05:06 PM
David C2S
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the advise, guys, and the very timely responses. i obviously need to check rennlist more frequently!!

i'll keep you posted with the results.

david

Quick Reply: brake pad wear indicator light