Sponsored by:

OT: Jay Leno's CGT

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 12:58 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Jay is very public with his toys. He can often be seen driving any one of them in L.A. often. Unlike other high profile celebs, he does not drive behind darkly tinted windows or wearing a disguise. More like, hey, there's Jay in the Cobra stopping at the news stand, or there's Jay cruising the Rock Store on his Harley.

I'd venture to say that Jay is as much of an enthusiast as the rest of us, enjoys bringing his toys out to play and would like nothing more than to hang out and talk about it just like we often do with each other. He completly understands and supports our interest in his latest fun car. A post on this site is just an extension of that.

My $0.02

Old 06-20-2004, 02:56 AM
Agro1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed - but everything you described is what he does on his own time - not while at work. I seriously doubt Jay, or more importantly NBC/Universal (recent merger) would appreciate any of their employees taking pics of celebs that find their way onto the net.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:17 AM
hawk993
Racer

It's doesn't look good in Red? What are you guys smoking?
Old 06-21-2004, 10:45 AM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Alright Jay! For a while there I thought that he was biased against Porsche for some unknown reason. I know that Jerry Seinfeld, Tim Allen and Jesse Ventura have been on his show and had dazzled Jay with their personal comments / experiences with their new CGT or other Porsche models in the past.

Old 06-21-2004, 04:21 PM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Agro1 - calm down mate, Huw was asked to go to the lot to see it - just like he was invited by Jay to go see all of his cars in his collection nr Burbank Airport (Jays cars are in the 3 hangars next to where Huw keeps his plane). Huw assures me that Jay is a real nice guy and I have seen him driving his cars in LA myself - he seems a nice fella.

Maybe you could learn from a guy like that

RT7/Ron: Wow, what a small world indeed. Huw hired me to go and work for him at Healthnet many moons ago. I forgave him and we've been good friends ever since. His white 944 went to Alan Torres (do you know him too - another good buddy of mine who is actually coming out to NY to see me this weekend). Huw then got himself a fantastic 1987 911 turbo in black - and that thing is amazing!!

Surj
Old 06-21-2004, 04:41 PM
David '96 993
Pro

This may actually be one of Jay's more conservative vehicles

From what I have seen (at Pebble Beach Concours) and heard is that Jay is a true gearhead. It is not unusual for him to approach someone he does not know but has a special vehicle and have some discussion about it. It appears that he is more into automobiles than his celebrity status.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:48 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 343 Likes on 152 Posts

Jay really is a gearhead. I remember meeting him one particular year at the Monterey Historics. Jay's wife Mavis was in line at the Concession stand waiting to buy an Ice Cream cone. Jay was with her and was sort of listening to our conversation. He finally decided to join in our little group as we discussed the race that just ended. Jay just walked right up and joined in on our converstation, just like he was an old friend. He did tell us that Porsche's are not his cup of tea, but he respects them and those who love them. Mavis eventually got her ice cream cone and then joined the circle. SHe happily licked away while Jay continued to talk with us. They were both very nice down to earth people.

J
Old 06-21-2004, 08:00 PM
993Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Jay sightings are a common occurrence here in the Burbank region of SoCal. He is usually driving something interesting (sometimes defying easy identification), and is always good for a friendly wave. Many of his cars are open, so he doesn't try to hide himself behind tinted glass. He seems to genuinely enjoy seeing people and (of course) being seen. One of my co-workers who has the same commute path as Jay has had many opportunities to share a cheery good-morning greeting with him.

Autoweek recently published a feature article about Jay and his first car, which he has since tricked out in a very cool, stealthy way (I'd link, but I don't want to raise the ire of John D!).
Old 06-21-2004, 08:09 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Jay likes to be seen in his various cars around town. He stores his cars in a warehouse next to the runway of the Burbank Airport which is on the same street as my office. I see him practiacally every day driving a different car but have never seen the Carrera GT. I will keep my eye out for it. He is very approachable and loves his cars.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:25 AM
Tinton
Track Day

Old 06-22-2004, 09:37 PM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regarding Jay and his love of cars/trucks/motorcycles/etc., he writes a column for Popular Mechanics magazine each month on a different toy he's acquired or project he's working on.

Most recently he was writing about his newly acquired Ford GT, but in the past has written on everything from an old firetruck he'd restored to his jet-turbine powered motorcycle to a super-size street rod project with a military tank engine.

Fascinating articles, and each one shows his true love for his mechanical hobby.

-Chris

Quick Reply: OT: Jay Leno's CGT