Sponsored by:

Non start!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 07:56 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecurry
I'm thinking you have a ROW specification 993, so you should make that clear on here if that is the case - there's quite a few differences in this area between US and ROW
There aren't that much differences at all between a USA and a ROW 993 .

Congrats to OP for figuring it out and updating us with the solution.
Old 05-03-2024, 04:20 AM
Gareth H
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to round up, this is the Tech’s theory on what is happening:

“Excellent news - I love it when obscure causes recur; the one's where you end up saying: what are the chances!?
The failure must produce a similar electrical impulse in the wiring - self-energising the sensor, which in turn sends a signal back; enough to start the cycle but incorrect for the DME to do its' real job. Definitely a job that could (did?) waste hours of diagnosis time - the operational tests in the DME test plan don't allow for the specific failure mode in this case.
Glad to have helped!!”
Old 05-03-2024, 01:10 PM
systemsc
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 110 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Gareth H
Just an update on this, I was directed to the crank sensor by a couple of people who have experienced these symptoms, and despite an oscilloscope showing a good signal, bizarrely this continued after the engine stopped cranking! That is exactly what it was, 5 hour train journey to collect tomorrow, it’s like new car day all over again
This statement questions whether the oscilloscope "good signal" was really good, and the competency of the tech doing the test.
http://www.systemsc.com/

Old 05-03-2024, 01:29 PM
systemsc
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 110 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Gareth H
Just to round up, this is the Tech’s theory on what is happening:

“Excellent news - I love it when obscure causes recur; the one's where you end up saying: what are the chances!?
The failure must produce a similar electrical impulse in the wiring - self-energising the sensor, which in turn sends a signal back; enough to start the cycle but incorrect for the DME to do its' real job. Definitely a job that could (did?) waste hours of diagnosis time - the operational tests in the DME test plan don't allow for the specific failure mode in this case.
Glad to have helped!!”
A new discovery in electronics, right?
Old 05-03-2024, 07:38 PM
Gareth H
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The tech is very experienced and was seeing a square wave form.

I’m not hugely experienced with electronics but have seen some very strange signals from sensors effected by interference in industrial boiler rooms, so probably not a new phenomenon!

I posted the outcome to potentially help others experiencing similar symptoms, not to feed the trolls!
See ya
The following users liked this post:
Dinosaur33 (05-04-2024)

Quick Reply: Non start!