993 Forum 1995-1998

eletrical problem - ignition switch - need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 12:35 PM
LC997C4s
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Post eletrical problem - ignition switch - need help

When turning off the ignition switch (and removing the key) the engine stops running but the car acts as if the ignition switch has been put in the "on" position (dash warning lights, etc. all remain on).

I put the key back in the ignition and it started up fine (drove it around the block without any problems) and tried turning it off, again with similiar results.

When I disconnected the battery and reconected it, I again experienced the same problem. So for now I have just disconnected the battery.

Any thoughts out there of what the problem may be?

Does the ignition switch itself control the various circuits (and therefore may be the cause of the problem) or does the ignition switch itself control another circuit/relay(s)/etc?
Old 07-22-2002, 01:19 PM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
? wiring harnes
Old 07-22-2002, 01:20 PM
tom97c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like the 1995 wiring harness problem.
Old 07-22-2002, 01:40 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Could also be the electrical part of the ignition switch .... about a $50 part, moderately difficult to replace. Does jiggling the key help any?

As for a relay vs. the ignition switch, perhaps someone who has immediate access to the electrical diagrams can check this. I'm at work, and can't take a look until I get home this evening.
Old 07-22-2002, 02:13 PM
LC997C4s
Instructor

I was hoping that that wasnt the case but after have reading the threads on the 95 wiring harness issue, I am pretty much convinced that that is in fact the problem.

I am the second owner and the car which came from Texas (one of those hot climates), the problem started after I washed the car and come to think of it the engine stayed running for a few seconds after I turned off the ignition they very first time.

So tell me, if in fact it is the wiring harness issue are we referring to only the harness in the engine compartment?

Anyone have any experience with this issue here in the NYC area and can reccomend a shop that has delt with this issue already?

For those who are familiar with the area, I use PAR Porsche. Unfortunately, Paul is not familiar with the problem and I really hate to be the test case for him and his shop.
Old 07-22-2002, 02:28 PM
LC997C4s
Instructor

I thought it might be the ignition switch at first and I tried to jiggle it and the like with no luck.

So I dont really think that thats the likely culprit.
Old 07-22-2002, 02:41 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote]Originally posted by L.C. - NYC - 95 993:
<strong>
So tell me, if in fact it is the wiring harness issue are we referring to only the harness in the engine compartment?
</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes.

For all the info, go to E.J.'s page, here:
<a href="http://www.pcarracing.homestead.com/wiringharness3.html" target="_blank">http://www.pcarracing.homestead.com/wiringharness3.html</a>

Tom
'95 993
Old 07-22-2002, 03:32 PM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

re:
'and come to think of it the engine stayed running for a few seconds after I turned off the ignition they very first time'
I was told that this symptom could be related to distributor cap malfunction. But in view of your other symptoms I would go with wiring harness.
Good Luck.
Tito.
Old 07-23-2002, 12:57 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi L.C.,

You might try replacing relay R11. It supplies the clock & warning lights.

If you replace R11, make sure you do it with the ignition off. You don't want to wind up with any diagnostic errors = locked in warning light such as the airbag light.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply: eletrical problem - ignition switch - need help