Sponsored by:

Porsche club event in Lebanon

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 03:36 PM
Georges Rebeiz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche club event in Lebanon

Check this out.. It was a cool saturday morning and more than 100 Porsches on the road with one destination..

http://www.beirutnightlife.com/html/....php?name=Cars
Old 06-21-2004, 01:30 PM
Georges Rebeiz
Instructor

By the way...Am I the only Lebanese member on Rennlist??
Old 06-21-2004, 02:41 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Georges, I have this picture in my mind of Beirut. Of course I am an uniformed American living in the desert so I dont even know whats going on in Los Angeles!! but back to Beirut. Blown up buildings bricks scattered all over snipers on top of buildings etc etc. Can you educate me and tell me what is going on there and how life is and some more pics? your pics from your event look like they could have been from San Fransico not some
war torn country like I have in my mind. I apologize for being so ignorant.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:51 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I kind of wondered that myself. I have heard that in the early 1970's the two most requested assignments in the US Foreign Service were Beirut and Tehran. I know a lot has happened since then. But tell me, how easy is it to do a weekend fun run with your Porsche buddies in the Bekka Valley?
Old 06-21-2004, 03:21 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Georges Rebeiz
I think there is a very good chance you are the only one!

...looks like a fun event! nice photos!
Old 06-21-2004, 03:46 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Georges,

I'm kind of Lebanese. My father's father was Lebanese. My father was born in Beirut. My mother is Bulgarian and I was born in Bulgaria. When I was about 10 in 1978, my parents defected and went to Beirut. Of course, things were pretty bad back then so after a month or two, we went to the US embassy and got permission to come to the states. I've been here ever since. I do plan on visiting sometime soon. I've heard that Beirut is actually starting to be fun again.

Oh yeah, my last name is Abdalla. That should give you hint.

George
Old 06-21-2004, 05:34 PM
emilios
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by OldGuy
Georges, I have this picture in my mind of Beirut. Of course I am an uniformed American living in the desert so I dont even know whats going on in Los Angeles!! but back to Beirut. Blown up buildings bricks scattered all over snipers on top of buildings etc etc. Can you educate me and tell me what is going on there and how life is and some more pics? your pics from your event look like they could have been from San Fransico not some
war torn country like I have in my mind. I apologize for being so ignorant.
OldGuy,

I was in Beirut three weeks ago, after an absence of about three years - and to my amazement it has changed so much - and definitely for the better. Lebanon has so much class, so much beauty, so much pride, so much history! Downtown Beirut, is at least the equal of any leading european capital - in terms of shops, buildings, architecture, nightlife - everything. Of course you do see some scarred buildings which remind you of the bad past memories, but thanks to the the Lebansese people's pride, progressiveness, forward-thinking and determination, Lebanon is rapidly once again becoming what it very rightly deserves to be - the Paris of the Middle East.

The people are so nice, warm, friendly, hospitable, helpful - it's just unbelievable.

Thanks to Georges Rebeiz (whom I admit I didn't meet in person but spoke to on the phone) I met and saw almost anything, everything and everyone relating to Porsche in Lebanon. I was even given invitations to the Porsche Club Lebanon event that George is referring to in this thread, and was offered courtesy Cayennes to take us to the event location (as we attended the Beirut Boat Show from Cyprus, a lot of us were Posche owners/ Porsche Club Cyprus members - real shame we couldn't make it to the event as the wives were complaining that we should take a break from Porsche during our stay!).

What makes me feel really sorry as well as angry about Lebanon, is the involvement of Syria and Israel etc. in and under any capacity which definitely at the very least do no good to this wonderful country and its beautiful people. Hopefully some day - and I just sincerely hope this day comes sooner rather than later- Lebanon's progress, fate,future and prosperity is left to the capable hands of the Lebanese people.

Cheers to a peaceful and prosperous Lebanon. Georges Rebeiz, thanks for everything! I feel really proud to be in a neighbouring country so near to Lebanon.
Keep up the good work, don't give up/dispair and give Lebanon what it so rightfully deserves.

Best regards

Emilios
Old 06-21-2004, 06:20 PM
emilios
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Georges Rebeiz
Georges,

no, there is one more Lebanese Rennlist member that I am aware of, who perhaps has not realised the 'Lebanese presence' - I will get him to contact you, BTW he does not reside in Lebanon.

Best regards

Emilos
Old 06-22-2004, 10:38 AM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey there,

I'm an American. My parents are 100% Lebanese. Grew up in DC, but now I'm stuck with a business in Michigan.

I sold my 996 because of all the tickets I managed. (no kidding-8 points in 6 months)

I bought a 97' Defender 90 Hard Top and gave it a full restoration.

It's slower than hell, but that's the idea.

As for Lebanon, it is in fact a very beautiful place. Perfect Med beaches at the foot of snow capped mountains.

Too bad about the rough times of past. It is amazing what people can do to each other. I hope the rebuild continues uninterrupted. It certainly is coming along. I may be there later in the summer to meet up with my family and hang out at the beach.

If that region settles down a bit over the next several years, I amy consider moving there for a while. At 29, I don't want to wait till its too late to experience a bit of my culture. Guess I better learn Arabic...
Old 06-24-2004, 07:27 PM
Georges Rebeiz
Instructor

Hi Guys

Emilios, I was at the boat and asked your mates about you , but I was informed that you went to Beirut Downtown..

Just came back yesterday from Dubai..My God it was hot 45 C in the shade!! Am glad to be back.

By the way I am happy that I can find some 993 owners on Rennlist with Lebanese origins ,and to all interested in Seeing some more pictures & info on this country go to this site. There are a lot of info on it especially on Americans with Lebanese origins. Check it out you might know someone!!

http://www.downtownbeirut.com

This trip was really fun and the scenery on the way was amazing!! The Bekaa is really a nice place to visit especially Baalbeck which is a very old Roman temple dedicated to Jupiter.

http://www.middleeast.com/baalbeck.htm
Old 06-24-2004, 07:38 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Georges that was a fantastic website. I would like to go there one day. when my kids are gone and my wife can go over and enjoy the country.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:12 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oh, btw....

For those of you who have not tried Lebanese food and wine yet...
It's probably one of the best cousines in the world!
Old 06-25-2004, 02:51 AM
emilios
Burning Brakes

Georges,

Sorry, I was told that someone came looking for me while I was out of the marina in Beirut, but as I met a lot of people in Beirut and I had no name/details, I had no idea it was you. Did you manage to see any of the boats?

Rassel,

you are absolutely spot on regarding Lebanese cuisine - there is a restaurant in Beirut called Mhanna - it;s one of the very best restaurants I've been to in the world - top class service and food! Give it a try if/when you go to Beirut!

Best regards

Emilios
Old 06-25-2004, 10:08 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Rassel
For those of you who have not tried Lebanese food and wine yet...
It's probably one of the best cousines in the world!
I will agree to that. After college I had a room mate for a couple of years who was Lebanese. I loved to visit his family because of the home cooked Lebanese food. mmmm!!

He also told some very interesting stories of growing up in Lebanon. The pictures of the beaches and country side were breath taking. He also told some frightening tails of living there and going to junior high school during the war. He goes backs and visits each year or so. He said that much of the damage has been repaired but there are still signs of the past. From his stories Lebanon is on my list of places I really want to visit and see.

Last edited by bet; 06-25-2004 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:17 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

I've got a bunch of my track buddies hooked on humus, babaganush and tabuli. I won't even mention the baklava. Man I hope I spelled those correctly.

George

Quick Reply: Porsche club event in Lebanon