Sponsored by:

Focal door panel Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2001, 12:03 AM
Jay
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Focal door panel Speakers

Has anyone out there installed the Focal (Polyglass, Polykevlat, Utopia)speakers on their 964s or 993s door panels ? If so, can you please comment on the following items ?

1)sound quality
2)easiness of installation
3)amp requirement
4)price and where to get the best deal

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-26-2001, 02:00 AM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Jay,
Personally I am not a France fan, so I would not buy focal, although they are highly rated. I went with MBQuart components, a rockford 800x4 under the passenger seat and the existing Becker head unit. I used existing wiring cause I did not want to run new speaker wire (a _ _ _ _ _). I have a cab which I believe has different door panels, but the install was pretty painless. The only sweat I encountered was running the amp wires, taking out the seat, ect. Check out CBRSTEREO.COM for pricing. If you want a sub, well, there are a couple of options. I did not use one myself. Good Luck -
Old 10-27-2001, 04:43 AM
My Q Ship
Intermediate

Jay,
I haven't installed these in a 964/993, but have used them on -'89 Carreras before with outstanding results! They are strong, VERY clean and VERY precise. I have used them with a multitude of different amps with very good results. The speakers seem to like lots of good clean POWER! The higher the wattage the happier they seem to be. I always use at least 14 ga. speaker wire (good quality here (Phoenix Gold, Monster Cable, etc.). The install should be pretty straight foward-take the old out- put the new in. The only thing that might be a little tricky are the tweeters if they aren't the same size as your "stockers", but usually don't present to much in the may of modifications. I have used Alpine, Crossfire, ADS, Rockford Fosgate and MTX to name a few amps I have had good luck with.
Hope this helps!

Q
Old 10-29-2001, 01:55 PM
A.J. - 95 993
Racer

If you're looking for speaker installation, I have pics at my website below. I didn't use Focal, but did the installation myself. My 993 was one of the easiest vehicles I've ever done. Getting the radio out is straight forward. Running wires to the amp under the passenger seat is easy, because I just ran them under the floor mats, and taped them to the sound deadener pad on the floor. Sound quality with my Diamond Audio/Sony 200W rms x4 amp is outstanding. With 800W, I'm sure NM98CAB's system is...well...incredible. I even replaced the factory tweeters with the Diamond Audio tweeter. I could have removed the factory tweeter from the shell that's mounted to the door to maintain the factory look. But I decided not to, because I always want to leave the back door open and go back to stock if necessary. The factory tweeters are riveted on, so I had to drill them out from the back side of the door panel. But once I realized this is what had to be done, it wasn't hard. I removed the factory Nokia speaker enclosures, and that frees up LOTS of space for 6 1/2" speakers and crossovers. The Diamond crossovers are very large, and fit with no problem. The hardest part is running your own wires into the door. If you have an afternoon to blow doing it, give it a shot. Otherwise, use the factory wires. I ran my own wires into the right door, and decided not to do the left.

A.J.
'95 993
A.J.'s Porsche Page
Old 10-29-2001, 05:00 PM
Curtis - '97 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi AJ,
I've been meaning to ask you, do you have any pictures of your door speakers after the replacement? Did you need to buy a panel or something to finish up after removing the nokia enclosures?

Curtis

Quick Reply: Focal door panel Speakers