993 Forum 1995-1998

Clutch Slave Fix

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 01:58 PM
Agro1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Slave Fix

I've read all the past threads about doing this, and it seems pretty straightforward and easy, but with the limited space a bit of a PITA. I have a question though, in this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=slave+install

...there is some discussion about a black rubber plug that makes access to the slave and lining up the slave cylinder into the release arm much easier. Anyone know where this black rubber plug is ? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:18 PM
Agro1
Banned

Thanks very much, Kim - good to know since I'll be doing it this weekend. I see (from past threads) that you've been down this road before . Any other suggestions or tips that might make the job easier ?

BTW - did you ever find out why your motor let go ?
Old 06-16-2004, 03:41 PM
Agro1
Banned

Thanks Kim. So from what I understand, when you install the cylinder, the slave should have a considerable amount of resistance pushing back towards you when you are trying to bolt it back down, right ?

Hope the tear down and rebuild go smoothly. Thanks again
Old 06-16-2004, 04:36 PM
upshift
Advanced

It really isn’t such a PITA job. After screwing around with mine for about a week I bet I could switch out a slave cylinder in under ½ an hour now. The key, before you start, is to study the new cylinder and understand where the two holes are, the plunger and the inlet line because you will be working completely blind.
I took off the driver’s side rear wheel and placed a flashlight in there focused on the slave. It doesn’t really help too much as you have to work blind but it does give you piece of mind when you are on your back and your right arm is dripping hydraulic fluid and screaming from wedging in the slave and tightening on the two nuts all while your face is plastered up against the trans.
Before reassembling, feel inside the trans for the piston “cup” and make sure the new slave is securely in there. You’ll feel the resistance when you have it right – if you can put the nuts back on the studs easily then the piston is NOT in the cup.
Also, before you crawl under, wear some clear safety glasses. Unless your car is a garage queen, there will be crap falling in your eyes. Ask me how I know.

Jef
Old 06-16-2004, 04:53 PM
Agro1
Banned

Thanks Kim...

Jef - Thanks for the info. When you say, "Before reassembling, feel inside the trans for the piston “cup” and make sure the new slave is securely in there"

How do you feel inside the trans with the new slave already in there ? And I assume you feel inside the trans through the slave cylinder hole, right ?
Old 06-16-2004, 06:19 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

This is a little OT, but related. You may want to replace the rubber pressure hose that leads to the clutch slave. These are getting older now and hard to verify condition since the insides of these hoses take the abuse and tend to close or constrict.

Just a thought...
Old 06-16-2004, 06:42 PM
Agro1
Banned

Thanks for the tip Chris, I was planning on doing that as a preventative measure. Easy and cheap way to avoid a big problem down the road. Thanks again for your help guys

Quick Reply: Clutch Slave Fix