Experience with FVD chip?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 02:15 AM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experience with FVD chip?

I know the consensus on this board is with Rennsport chip. I am, however, looking at a 95 C2 that has an FVD chip installed already. I've read a few threads but none that expressed any great satisfaction or dissapointment with the chip. Can anyone out there share their experience with this mod?

I'm not expecting miracles but since the chip is installed already, I'd like to know as much as I can before I decide on the car.

Any input will be appreciated. Steve, if I buy this car, you aren't going to make me rip out this chip are you?
Old 06-16-2004, 04:28 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Dad (cubed):

I'm sure you'll get some feedback and first-hand opinions if you do your homework on this.

IMHO, regardless whose chip is presently in the car, that must NOT any factor when deciding whether its a good candidate for ownership,....

The only thing that truly matters is a professional & competant PPI to ascertain its condition. Ultimately, if its a good car for a fair price, the chip doesn't matter and thats addressable in any case,...

Last edited by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems; 06-16-2004 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:16 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"IMHO, regardless whose chip is presently in the car, that must NOT any factor when deciding whether its a good candidate for ownership,...."

Well said! That's the easiest thing to change on that car, whether it's going back
to a stock chip or another performance chip. The only problem is if the chip has
damaged the motor. That's the last thing I'd promote if I were selling a car, i.e.
it's got a chip, that usually indicates that the car has been "pushed" a lot versus
used by a conservative driver, generally. You might ask the owner if the chip bumps
the redline, if so then continue looking at other cars.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:24 AM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Understood. PPI and mechanical condition is, of course, a first priority. Add ons like wheels and chip ONLY factor in if other pieces of the puzzle are there as well. Opinions are valuable to determine how much, if any, value I will place, assuming all else checks out and for comparison between similar cars. There are lots of cars here in So. Cal in various configurations.

Tradeoff is getting car pre-modded vs. the fun of doing it yourself, though members of this board would certainly agree that there are always more mods to do!
Old 06-16-2004, 04:33 PM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

I would see if you can get an air/fuel mixture read-out of the engine with the chip in it. I know of at least one 993 engine that blew itself to bits (metal shavings galore in the engine compartment due to holes in several pistons) due to a lean fuel-air ratio. It's one of those problems that take time to manifest themselves and happens rather catastrophically with no warning.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:55 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

well, after meeting the arrogant belittling german owner in miami, AND hearing first hand what FVD does to chips, I will NEVER be buying ANYTHING from FVD...

But that is just MHO.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:32 AM
hdemas
Instructor

I got an FVD chip last year. Customer service was good, and I've had no problems with it at all.

Quick Reply: Experience with FVD chip?