Sponsored by:

OT: Removing scratch marks from paint

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 07:48 PM
Rohan Nath
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post OT: Removing scratch marks from paint

My fiancee brushed up against a pillar in here Accord (she is officially forbidden from driving the 993...).

Anyway, any suggestions on removing the white paint marks until I find time to get it to the shop? I tried removing with torch lighter (figured it would work as a mild organic solvent) but did not make much progress.

Thanks.
Old 02-17-2003, 07:55 PM
Matt Vaughan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would initially try a good polishing compound. I've had success with the Turtle Wax brand, but I'm sure there's better. And make sure it's POLISHING compound and NOT RUBBING compound.

That should get you started...
Old 02-17-2003, 08:15 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. It's a mild polish that removes most small scratches and surface dirt.

This works great after a track event to remove all those "rubber" marks from the bits of tire that were flying around the track. I suspect it'll work well for paint marks as well.

Remeber to use a microfiber applicator.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:28 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Straight up lacquer thinner will do it, just a little on a rag is all you need. I scraped my blue Audi against the side of my garage door, tried to polish off the white streaks, got nowhere, went to the local body shop, five seconds later, good as new.

Vic
95 C4
Old 02-17-2003, 09:32 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
To properly remove paint abrasions you want to use an abrasive. The best abrasives are made by 3M. I would recommend 3M Finesse It II which is available at shops that sell pro auto paint supplies.

Many other "polishing compounds" offer far too much cutting power for the job and can take off more material than you need to and can cause mars and swirls if you are not sure what you are dealing with. Be careful.

If you are doing this by hand be sure to use a pure foam pad, not a terry covered one, and use back and forth motions only, not circular.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:03 AM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
meguiar's clear coat cleaner scrub

Clear Coat Body Scrub Paint Cleaner

<a href="http://www.meguiars.com/product_showroom/showproducts_template.cfm?SrcLine=CP&SrcCat=2" target="_blank">http://www.meguiars.com/product_showroom/showproducts_template.cfm?SrcLine=CP&SrcCat=2</a>
Old 02-18-2003, 11:11 AM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
if the above doesn't work, go to something more abrasive, like a rubbing/polishing compound, then work up to less abrasive stuff. and go back and forth, no circles daniel-son.

Jason

Quick Reply: OT: Removing scratch marks from paint