Sponsored by:

Unfavorable balance

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 07:04 AM
msch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Unfavorable balance

I'm plannin some weight-reduction for the car and I noticed Princeton Wong's weight reduction list and saw some particular items that I would like to move out of the car but was curious about the large loss in the front end.

Some items I'm referring to are:

AC + evaporator + fluids : ~35#
Spare + Jack/tools : ~40#
Trunk Carpet: ~5lb
WW fluids/pumps ~12 #
pass air bag : 6#

Of course i woudl take out some parts in the rear of the car but I don't think there are too many things I'd like to take out to compensate the loss in the front.

I guess my question is, how detrimental is this weight loss upon the balance/handling of the car? I still might keep the spare tire in because of the cushion/protection it provides in a head-on-collision but weight reduction is the biggest thing on my mind atm.

Thanks
Old 06-14-2004, 07:35 AM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can offset the weight reduction in the front by removing the back seat back trays.....seat belts....and their connection point under the tray where the speakers are ( you can pull those out too !)

Take off the rear engine tray under the car...good for 10-12lbs.

I pulled out close to 150lbs or so...and the car feels fine...no negative effect on handling...in fact the car has a "seat of the pants" feeling of being a bit quicker....and...sharper in turns.

Have fun !!
Old 06-14-2004, 12:14 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to remove weight from the back end, you can save quite a bit by swapping the factory mufflers for supercups...prob close to 50lbs. also swapping the retracting tail for a fixed RS or Turbo-type tail saves quite a bit of weight as well (I've seen a carbon fiber one-piece turbo tail that looked very nice). also lots of weight by removing the backseat, esp in a cab.

Quick Reply: Unfavorable balance