Overspray on Brake Calipers??

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 06:00 PM
jamfish
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Overspray on Brake Calipers??

Gentlemen,

Another newbie question: I was washing my '96 993 C2 Coupe this past weekend and I noticed two very strange things. First, 3 of the 4 brake calipers seemed to have what appears to be silver paint overspray on them. At least that is what it looks like. It is even more obvious when you look at the one caliper that is nice, clean and black. I used wheel cleaner and it did not come off, even using a soft brush.

Of course I have contacted the previous owner to see if he had the wheel painted (no response yet). Why wouldn't you just take the wheel off the car and then the tire off the wheel before you painted it? Assuming, of course, that it is overspray, any ideas how to get the overspray off so I can have 4 clean black calipers? Assuming it is not overspray, any ideas what it might be? I am dumbfounded. The guy I bought the car from took VERY good care of his car. I can't imagine him knowingly cutting such a corner.

One other question. I was at the dealership and noticed that all of the other 993s on the lot and being repaired had a protective guard, plastic film, in front of the rear wheels on the fenders. I asked one of the guys in the shop whether this was standard equipment and he said yes. My car does not have this. He said one would have to specifically request it not to be put on. I have the orignial sticker and it does not appear to have been specially requested. The guy at the shop asked whether any body work had been done to the car because sometime they forget to put them back on. I said as far as I know (and my PPI disclosed), no. Anyone else not have this on their 993?

Thanks,

jamfish
Old 07-16-2002, 06:03 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Jamfish,

If you are having questions wondering if your 993 ever been painted before you can bring the car over for me to take a look. I live in Alpharetta, and work in Norcross. (I noticed that you are also in Atlanta).
Old 07-16-2002, 06:14 PM
jamfish
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, Robin.

You have actually seen my car before (sort of). My wife and I came to your house several weeks ago and Hank checked out my brakes. You were busy working on other guy's 993. It was '96 black 993 C2 Tiptronic with a VIN No. that led you to believe I had a C4. Remember?

After reading one the posts earlier today about a DIY oil change, I was planning on contacting you to request an oil change anyway. Maybe you can solve the mystery then.

Thanks again,
Old 07-16-2002, 06:16 PM
jes999
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by jamfish:
<strong> I was at the dealership and noticed that all of the other 993s on the lot and being repaired had a protective guard, plastic film, in front of the rear wheels on the fenders. I asked one of the guys in the shop whether this was standard equipment and he said yes. My car does not have this. </strong><hr></blockquote>

The plastic film in front of the rear wheels I believe is called "Stone Guards" and were standard on all 993s. Search the archives for "Stone Guards" and "Fender Guards" for a bunch of posts on this topic. It appears that you are not the only one who has bought a 993 which had these removed.

Performance Products sells them for about $100 per pair.
Old 07-16-2002, 06:20 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Thumbs up

Hey Jam,

You may not think this is "for real" but...

The "clay bar" that so many of us use for paint prep was designed by a bodyshop guy to use for (get this) removing paint over spray. The age old tale is that he had some of his kids play d'oh laying around, and BINGO. The clay bar over spray removal tool was invented.

Come to find out it cleaned the painted surface on darn near anything, so next step was to sell it to us car nuts as a wax prep product.

Neat huh?

So go to a detail joint-<a href="http://www.dccarcare.com/erazer.html" target="_blank">click here</a> and order up a clay bar system to get at those calipers.
Old 07-16-2002, 07:10 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Michael B.:
<strong>Hey Jam,

You may not think this is "for real" but...

The "clay bar" that so many of us use for paint prep was designed by a bodyshop guy to use for (get this) removing paint over spray. The age old tale is that he had some of his kids play d'oh laying around, and BINGO. The clay bar over spray removal tool was invented.

Come to find out it cleaned the painted surface on darn near anything, so next step was to sell it to us car nuts as a wax prep product.

Neat huh?

So go to a detail joint-<a href="http://www.dccarcare.com/erazer.html" target="_blank">click here</a> and order up a clay bar system to get at those calipers.</strong><hr></blockquote>

One clarification about clay bars, as I understand it. The originals were designed for overspray, just as you said. The ones sold and used for detailing are much less agressive and will not do a very good job on overspray. Conversely, the body shop clay bars will take off too much when detailing.

Some lacquer thinner should take the overspray off the calipers and not hurt the powder coating.

Quick Reply: Overspray on Brake Calipers??