Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OFF Topic: 993 and Shelby Cobra?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 03:34 PM
williet1342
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question OFF Topic: 993 and Shelby Cobra?

O.K. this may sound strange, but I was wondering if there are any 993 owners out there who also own a Shelby Cobra? I will never sell the 993 but I'm toying with the idea of "adding" a used Shelby Cobra in the other bay of the garage just to satisfy my appreciation for the big rumble of a 550 hp . big block etc... I've heard the guys on this board discuss the ZO6 Corvette and admit they were tempted (though still in love with the 993) due to the power, price, engineering etc... The Shelby though it's like apples to oranges with the 993 and the Corvette, is just interesting to me.

Anyone out there crazy enough to have both? 993 and a Shelby? Seems to me you'd need two full sets of every DIY tool known to man!!!!

Cheers from the Low Country of South Carolina.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:58 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd never get a ZO6, nomatter what they do to fix that car.
A Shelby Cobra is something completly different.

IF I get a second car to the 993 and it's not a car for daily driving, I'd consider a Camaro 68-69 or a Mustang Mach 1 -69.

Must be honest and say that I havn't thought much about a Cobra, but if you're at a location where the sun shines often, why not...?
Old 06-09-2004, 05:45 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

I think Agro has/had one of those beauties!! In fact, just saw a nice clone today at lunch. Of coarse, it was blue with white stripes and vibrated the pavement as it went by..
Old 06-09-2004, 07:01 PM
Agro1
Banned

Williet - I had a Superformance Cobra not too long ago. I looked at the Shelby's, but just couldn't justify spending that kind of $$ for a name. I could not afford an aluminum bodied car, and the glass car from Superformance is a much better example (for less) than the glass Shelby. Yes, that's right, Shelby is now making fiberglass Cobras to compete with the replicar market. He tried to sue Superformance for "unfair trade practices" and lost. Another reason I didn't want a Shelby, he's turned into a total sellout that's only looking to make a buck and has lost all sight of what the Cobra was all about. I'd suggest you take a look at Superformance and consider what they have to offer. Be warned though, a 550hp big block will get you killed faster then you can say "OH ****". Plus, the big block is nothing more than a boat anchor on the front wheels and you can get a custom built (small block) 351 stroked out to 418 that has 550 hp - I did I could downshift from 4th to 3rd doing 80 on the freeway, goose it, and it would leave two black strips 100 feet long. WAY too much power to put to any good use. I think I could probably answer any question you may have, shoot me a PM if you like and check out the following sites.
www.superformance.com
www.clubcobra.com
www.cobracountry.com
http://www.cobracountry.com/cobrasforsale-cobras.html
Attached Images  
Old 06-09-2004, 08:29 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been thinking of building a kit or partial kit as a project in a couple of years. So far, the ERA kits look very good. Superformance cars are beautiful, but they only need an engine and tranny, and I want a project.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:41 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with Pete - I'de love to build one! All I need is another bay on my garage, some extra time, and oh yeah, an extra 40K.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:11 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Agro1
Another reason I didn't want a Shelby, he's turned into a total sellout that's only looking to make a buck and has lost all sight of what the Cobra was all about.
That makes absolutely no sense. So because he wants to prosecute the people who RIPPED HIS IDEA that makes him a sellout? Come on, you can't tell me you wouldn't be pissed and expecting compensation if you put so much pride into building something only to have a bunch of different companies come rip your idea. His prices are definately not in line with the replica market, but that's because they aren't replicas, they're the real thing and that's what you pay for when you buy a real Shelby from Las Vegas.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:32 PM
Agro1
Banned

Amir - Just becasue it come from Shelby, now, doesn't mean it's "REAL". This is a topic that has been discussed at length on the aforementioned Cobra BBS. Yeah, it may have his name on it, so what ? It ain't original. He only started building them again because he saw how profitable the replica market had become. Then, when he comes back into the game, late I might add, he wants compensation from all the replica manufacturers. So what does he do ? Sue them - oh yeah, and he lost.
http://www.theautochannel.com/F/arti...07/014208.html
Then what's he do, start building glass cars, in South Africa nonetheless, the same place Superformance builds theirs. And his aluminum cars, he doesn't even make the bodies, Kirkham does - IN POLAND. One last thing, legally, the Cobra is not his, it's Ford's.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:35 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I think the orignal question asked was about acquiring a classic car, not a kit car.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:44 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

^Agro, I understand that the car is not the same as what the original cars were (I believe the original chassis numbers start with CSX and then whatever # the car is), but the fact that his name and authorization are on the new Cobras that roll out of the factory makes it real. Or at least, much more genuine than a Superformance or Factory Five, if only because Carroll Shelbys name is on it. That was the point I was trying to make. Now if he wants to taint his image by capitalizing off of a market that wouldn't exist if it wasn't for him is his business, but I believe he has every right to start building new Cobras.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:09 PM
Agro1
Banned

Amir - I agree with you. But slapping you name on something that you outsource and have other companies build for you, well, it reaks of capitalism. Yeah it's his choice, but it only proves my point - he's in it for the money, not for the car or to preserve it's history.

Take a look at Elanore. Shelby put his name on that POS, and it's a replica of the original GT-500. Why ? For the money, the marketing and the publicity. He even gave it a place in the Shelby registry. What do you think that did to the value of the original CSX cars ?
Old 06-09-2004, 10:21 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Luke...

I'll give ya credit here.....you know your stuff. I like your argument on Shelby as well.

Despite you throwing water on your brakes the other day for that smokin' picture and post......You're all right in my book.

Old 06-09-2004, 10:28 PM
williet1342
Pro

Talking Great response guys...Info is power

Thanks to Agro1 for the informative post and to all the others who shared their opinions. I remain interested and will visit the websites you guys provided etc... The lines on these cars interest me (as does their obvious legendary power) and I may take a ride this weekend just to stretch the legs on the 993 and seek out some Cobra examples (original and clone).
For fun I put a photo of a black '66 on the screen saver so my wife would inquire. She thinks I'm losing it.

She may be right.

Keep the faith. Stu
Old 06-09-2004, 10:52 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

As a side note, Speed Channel has been running a series of factory footage from Superformance, I believe in Africa. They do look really well built..
Old 06-09-2004, 11:36 PM
williet1342
Pro

Arrow Speed Channel does a good job...

Thanks Chris I'll check it out and visit their site to see when it's being aired etc...
All the best.

Quick Reply: OFF Topic: 993 and Shelby Cobra?