Sponsored by:

Baffles for Supercups

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 03:24 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baffles for Supercups

I just received two sets of Fabspeed Supercups (one third generation and one previous generation) _ don't even ask what happened - lol. The third generation has the fixed baffle and sounds great on the car (although I wouldn't mind if it was a little louder). The previous generation does not appear to have any baffle installed at this time. Does anyone have a picture of what the previous generation baffle looks like? Also, does anyone have a set of baffles that they are willing to sell?

I'm planning to give the third generation 'cups to my brother and will use the previous generation 'cups myself. I think they will probably be too loud without any baffles.

Thanks for the help!

Old 06-08-2004, 03:32 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are definitely too loud for street driving w/o the baffles.

Do a search for CC inserts. A few Rennlisters have bought these to replace the standard Supercup inserts - the steel wool burns up over time and has to be repacked. I don't know what happens with 3rd generation Supercups - do they still have steel wool to dampen noise??

The CC inserts have steel baffles and no steel wool. I have a set of these sitting in my garage waiting to be swapped in...once I get around to it, I MAY decide to sell the stock baffles.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:55 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

Thanks David! It sounds like the CC inserts are the way to go. Here is the link for anyone interested:

http://www.carchemistry.com/ccinserts.html

The third generations sound great but do have a lot of resonance. The CC insert site states "no resonance" so they should be even better than the 3rd generation supercups. What size CC insert did you buy David? Also, did you buy the 2 or 3 disk insert?

Thanks

Jim
Old 06-08-2004, 06:08 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

I know what you're thinking Kim. :-)
Old 06-08-2004, 06:16 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Inside joke huh?

...or is someone worried about MLincoln commenting on this thread?

LOL

BTW: I bought repack material at J.C.Whitney.. Only $4.79 per bag.. I'll find out tonight how much it helps or doesn't help as I'm getting my supercups installed tonight... hehe+
Old 06-08-2004, 10:26 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

ceboyd

Let me know how that repack material works. I'm going to try stainless steel wool first. Don't use too much, you'll kill all the sound. ;-)

Jim
Old 06-09-2004, 03:20 AM
Benton
Drifting

Jim,
I'm telling you man, just TRY them out without the baffles. I tried it, and didn't put them back in. Some people love it, some people hate me, but I can make the car sound pretty quiet when I want to. The ROAR makes my spine tingle!
Old 06-09-2004, 03:22 AM
Benton
Drifting

To add, I think I want to hang on to the baffles.. sorry. If I do end up having to get rid of the car or the supercups, I'd probably want to have the baffles to go along. Good luck on the search.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:29 AM
Will
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm not sure which generation of Supercups I have (what are the differences?), but one of mine barfed out its baffle at Mid-Ohio recently. Lost the stuffing - the corner workers thought I'd hit a bird - but the baffle hung on until I got back to the paddock. The tab that holds the baffle to the tailpipe had broken. I got the local Midas shop to tack it back together, but now I'm looking for repack material, so I'm interested in ceboyd's results, too.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:00 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

I took a closer look at the Supercups (older generation without the baffles) and now I'm wondering why I even purchased them since really they arent anything more than a straight pipe with a baffle welded into it. Most exhaust bending shops could shape the pipes and you could have the "CC Insert" welded in for you. Plus, you could have the exhaust bending shop shape the end pipe so that you could attach your existing tip (in my case the large oval). The CC insert is supposed to eliminate the resonance (another plus).

The whole process (pipes & inserts) would probably be under $400. Any thoughts?

Red

Ok, you convinced me, I'll try them without the baffles since I already have them.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:14 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by jw97C2S
ceboyd

Let me know how that repack material works. I'm going to try stainless steel wool first. Don't use too much, you'll kill all the sound. ;-)

Jim
well, the fiberglass repack material is a bitch to work with but does a nice job!

(one wrap around).... so one $4.79 pack per side works well (you have to trim to fit just a bit!

...makes it less likely to get pulled over for noise pollution IMHO
Old 06-09-2004, 02:12 PM
Benton
Drifting

I doubt that many exhaust shops could mimic the supercups. Or at least in my area there is no one with a high quality mandrel bender that would be able to make the bends. Maybe in your area there is?
Old 06-09-2004, 02:23 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

I have to agree with Red. I had the baffles in for the first week I had the Supercups. I removed them just to hear how it would sound without them in. It sounded so good I never put them back in.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:57 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

Ok, I'm back to giving it a try - not that I am indecisive.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:54 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Will
), but one of mine barfed out its baffle at Mid-Ohio recently. Lost the stuffing - the corner workers thought I'd hit a bird - but the baffle hung on until I got back to the paddock. The tab that holds the baffle to the tailpipe had broken.

LOL This alone is why I'm going to carry some extra tools with me in my 'track kit' so I can remove them for track events. I don't want to burn through pack material too quickly AND I don't want to have that happen at track speeds and risk someone else getting hurt that's driving out behind me!

Quick Reply: Baffles for Supercups