Sponsored by:

96k miles...too high to buy???

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2003, 01:18 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Not too many miles at all (bought my C2Cab at 95k), but can't underestimate the value of the PPI advice. GET A GOOD PPI. Go meet the mechanic. Even get advice from a good place from this board (search archives for your area or ask), and make sure they are thorough. I had to put in a clutch, but the PPI told me that, so I nego'd the price down further...

By the way, the cars are essentially bullet proof. It is just that when they do go down, damn, they aren't cheap to fix.

Good luck
Old 02-19-2003, 12:31 PM
J-McDonald
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having bought my car with 97k miles, I have an opinion about this issue. If I could do it over again, I would spend the extra $5-7k and get a car with lower mileage. Here are a couple of reasons.

First is that starting from 100k (rather than 60k or so) dramatically shortens the amount of driving time before an expensive ($10k+) engine rebuild can reasonably be expected to be required. This is especially true if you plan for the car to be a daily driver - driving 13k miles per year, you'll only have 4 years of driving before you can reasonably expect to write a very large check for some engine work.

Second is that, despite Porsche's well-known (and well-earned) reputation for durability, the reality is that any car that has covered 100k miles will have a more or less steady stream of "little things" failing - on my car, these have included the engine blower motor, a tensioner on the main fan belt, some electrical glitches, some sensors for the convertible top motor, and a piece of the intake manifold. Although none of these were incredibly expensive to fix, each did take the car off of the road for a couple of days and the cumulative cost is not insignificant. Fortunately for me, my 911 isn't a "daily driver", so I didn't miss it when it was in the shop, but it has been annoying making trips to the dealer every couple of months to fix the latest thing that has popped up.

Third is that, again despite Porsche's reputation for durability, any car with over 100k miles will be harder to sell (when the time comes to "upgrade" to another 911), and will not bring as much money.

Fourth is that, because of the above concerns, having high mileage already on the clock acts as a disincentive to taking the car on longer trips, since they'll put even more mileage on it, in relatively short order.

As others have pointed out - buying "the right" higher mileage car (i.e., one that the previous owner kept properly maintained) has some advantages. These include the 90k "major" service having already been done, the clutch and troublesome dual-mass-flywheel having been replaced, the brake pads and rotors (both front and rear)having been replaced, the air conditioning system having been recharged and, for convertibles, the convertible top fabric having been replaced. My car came with all of these (very expensive) maintenance items (except the brakes) having been done by the previous owner. You should make sure that your car has too - or else you could have a very expensive first year of ownership.

Along these lines, with a higher mileage car it is **absolutely essential** to have a complete and thorough pre-purchase inspection done (including compression and leak-down tests) - that $35k C4S will start looking less like a bargain and more like a nightmare if you're down a cylinder or your valve guides are shot - necessitating an expensive engine rebuild.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: 96k miles...too high to buy???