993 Forum 1995-1998

Calling UK owners (and exiles).

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 07:48 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The unit in the engine compartment with the key operated switch is part of the PA1000.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:29 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve,

You mentioned that I had the box in the engine compartment, I don't think that I do have it, but I will check, so it seems like it is part of the PA1000 system.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:56 AM
SJB993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry Gabi.

I confused your reply with that of Surj.

I think we have finally established that the box in the engine compartment is part of the PA1000.

I also got an input from a Rennlist contact in The States - his car doesn't have it, and he's never seen one over there that does.

I'm going to call Hamilton-Palmer to ask if they can shed any light on why my centre console LED and ultrasonic sensors are inoperative.

Thanks again,

Steve.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:57 AM
JohnM
Racer

Steve,

Unfortunately you will find that your warranty does not cover any part of the alarm system. As phelix says, the siren module is part of the PA1000.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:42 AM
SJB993
Pro

I just called Hamilton & Palmer and spoke to a guy called Steve *** - he was extremely helpful, and seems to know the system inside out.

He's given me a few things to try/test, and said that if I don't have any success, he'll run some diagnostics on the system if I send it to him.
Old 06-09-2004, 04:50 PM
SJB993
Pro

Hi Guys,

Some progress to report!

I examined the centre console LED and found that one of its legs had broken. I replaced the LED, and it now operates fine. I may have been guilty of causing this, as I recently replaced the tacky looking Tiptronic shift lever plate, with a leather gaiter from a manual change (which I think looks far better - as you will see from my photo if you search for "Tip shift boot")

The next issue is the ultrasonic sensors. The helpful guy at Hamilton & Palmer told meet that the circuit for this part of the system is mounted in a separate box to the rest of the system, and that the sensitivity is adjustable. I had a look under both seats (where he said the units are located).

Seeing under the seats wasn't that easy!

Under the pasenger seat there is box with a Bosch label on it - so I'm assuming that's the engine management system(?)

Under the driver's seat there seem to be 3 boxes. One large and one smaller black diecast boxes (the larger one has heat sink fins on it) and one aluminium box which isn't bolted down (has German labels).

I don't know what's what under there, but I also found a cable with a 9 or 10 pin DIN plug on it that isn't plugged into anything. I think the H & P chap said their boxes did have connectors, so maybe this is the one for the ultrasonics and it has been dislodged.

I'll call him tomorrow to find out.
Old 06-09-2004, 06:31 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Steve,

Can you ask the chap at H&P what the history of the PA1000 is? I'm curious as to who installed the PA1000 systems into UK Porsches and how they interact with the factory fitted immobiliser or if the the PA1000 completely replaces it. Thanks,

Felix
Old 06-10-2004, 04:43 AM
SJB993
Pro

Phelix,

No problem - I'll ask the question.

I have a question for you .....

According to the Owner's Manual, there is a warning light (between 3 & 4 o'clock on the clock) that should come on when the immobiliser is active. I take this to mean if you've unlocked the car with the remote, but failed to start the engine within 30 seconds.

Does yours work?

The LED in the center console (now that it's working) does indicate the status of the immobiliser - i.e. when you disarm the system with the remote the doors unlock, the LED changes from flashing to on, and if the engine isn't started within 30 seconds it starts flashing again. It goes off when the engine is started.
Old 06-10-2004, 06:13 AM
SJB993
Pro

Phelix,

I spoke to H&P, but the guy wasn't absolutely sure whether the PA1000 supplements or replaces the factory system. He knows their alarm system inside out, but isn't involved with the installation side of things. He thinks it was Porsche UK techinicians who fitted the PA1000 prior to delivery of the cars, and suggested they may be able to help with installation questions.

His suspicion was that it replaced it becasue the PA1000 takes care of all of the alarm fucnctions and the central door locking - so there's not much else for the factory system to do.

I did ask if that was the case, why did the door LEDs flash when the system is armed (since they are part of the factory system), and he said he thought that they were activated by the door locking mechanism (i.e. not the alarm system).

Hope this helps.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:41 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I don't actually have a PA1000 on my car; I have the standard left hand drive european-spec fit Drive Block system. This is a basic alarm (no motion sensors that I'm aware of) and an immobilser integrated with the ECU. It's controlled by a single botton remote integrated with the switch-blade key.

My door LED's stay flashing when the system is armed. Do yours just flash at the point of arming or stay flashing as well?
Old 06-10-2004, 12:23 PM
SJB993
Pro

The door LEDs (and the centre console LED) flash all the time the alarm is armed.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:25 PM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to butt in again, but I am not sure that the door LEDs are connected to the locking mechanism. My remote central locking/alarm is not porsche or PA1000 and the door LEDs don't come on when i use it. They only flash when I lock it with the key, however the central LED always flashes whichever way I lock the car.

Quick Reply: Calling UK owners (and exiles).