993 Forum 1995-1998

Diagnostic Help Needed-Cow Bell Sound from Engine

Old 06-07-2004, 04:10 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Diagnostic Help Needed-Cow Bell Sound from Engine

I took part in a great fun two day poker ralley this past weekend. There were 24 cars ranging from a 27 Bugati through a 34 Perry, three Morgans, a newly renovated and pristine 356, a 912, and a slew of Austin Healy's, various old MGs -you get the picture .

After a card stop on Sunday my engine developed what I can only describe as a sound like a cow bell. It seems to be lower (not toward the top) and no influence on Oil consumption or performance. Didn't sound like a fan-could it be related to the timeing belt? It went away after about 20 minutes and I put another 100 or so miles on the car without trouble. Any ideas on where I should start looking tonight would be really apreciated. TIA

Al
Old 06-07-2004, 04:47 PM
dale_loch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A place to start that "would" sound like an intermitent cowbell sound would be your fan. Check to see if the fan blades are scraping the inside of the housing. Generally this would be on the bottom of the fan shroud housing. It could also be something related to your exhaust. Perhaps resonation is shaking something up against the exhaust.

Good luck,

Dale

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Diagnostic Help Needed-Cow Bell Sound from Engine