996 Rental vs. Own 993

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 08:40 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 830 Likes on 512 Posts
Default 996 Rental vs. Own 993

Thought I’d share my weekend experience with the Monday morning Rennlist crowd. I have seen a lot of posts requesting info on Porsche rentals in Germany over the last 2 years, so here is my experience:

On my current trip to Europe, I decided to make last weekend a Porsche weekend. I reserved a new 996 (993s not available) with Avis under their Avis Exklusiv Program in Munich Germany.

http://tinyurl.com/m2ql

I made the reservation entirely over the Internet and received within 24 hours an e-mail confirmation that my car was available at Munich Airport. The pick up was easy and my CDs were loaded quickly in the trunk mounted CD changer.

It was my first time in a 996 and risking that people on this board will slam me for this comment, the interior of the car was impressive if you're looking for funtionality and daily use. The car was equipped with a navigation system and premium stereo sound. It must have also been equipped with an optional motor sound package as the engine sound was quite impressive (still no comparison to my Fabspeed equipped 993). The ride was firm although not quite as firm as in my 993 (Eibach/Bilstein).

On my way towards Nuernberg/Regensburg the initial 120 km/h speed limit allowed me to get to know all the buttons and the general mechanics of the car. Accelerating, the 996 felt much “torquier” than my 993, however, the overall experience was not as raw and brutal as in the 993 (which really screams when you shift at 6,000 rpm). After hitting the “Dreieck Holletau” and continuing towards Regensburg to my final destination of Weiden/Opf., I was finally able to open things up a little bit. On a Saturday morning traffic was very light. It was actually surprising how light the steering became at speeds over 230km/h. This stretch of the Autobahn was actually quite curvy (I guess at 290 km/h most curves get a little tight) and I did not feel comfortable going through the corners at higher speeds, especially since the car became quite "lively" on bumps in these corners.

Although traffic was light, there were the occasional cars and one has to really watch the speedometer as you are sometimes approaching cars at SPEED DIFFERENTIALS of 150 km/hr from behind. I really liked the digital speed readout, since the speedometer on the 996 is way too small for a quick glance.

In general there is no way to tell how fast you are closing in on somebody (until you get close!). The brakes on the car were awesome just as I am used to in the 993.

For anybody trying a similar exercise, I would recommend adhering to the posted speed limits (especially in construction zones) religiously. I saw a lot of radar speed traps, some of which even seemed permanently installed.

The amazing thing was that all the way up to an indicated speed of 295 km/hr I was able to listen to the radio and although the steering became very light, I experienced no problems with direction control or cross-winds. The driving at higher speeds seemed much more relaxing than in the 993, although my top track speed in the 993 has been no more than 130 mph (approx. 200 km/hr) with helmet, window open, etc.....

The next day on my way back to Munich early Sunday morning, I saw this silver Audi behind me at Regensburg. It turned out to be an RS4 and we had a nice relaxed drive back with the Audi showing pretty much equal performance to the Porsche (according to the on board computer the average speed to Munich was 202 km/hr). I always thought that German automobile manufacturers (except Porsche) all limited their car’s top speeds to 250 km/h (150 mph). THIS RS4 was definitely not limited to 250 km/hr! I observed that the Audi seemed much more stable in fast corners (most of the time I was behind him) but the other guys was probably also a better driver.

After the most expensive tank stop of my life ($75! for a full tank), I dropped off the car with a big smile on my face this morning. In fact, I am quite impressive how relaxed it was to drive at super high speeds but it clearly lacks the raw character of the 993. Trade the 993 for a 996 - no way!

If anyone has any question about renting a Porsche in Germany Sixt car rental has them too. I am not affiliated with Avis, or Sixt, blah, blah blah….

I am currently researching what would be involved to ship over my 993 to Germany for a week or two vacation (takes about 4 weeks and $1,000 from the U.S. west cost and $600 and 2 weeks going back) which is probably close in cost to a one week Porsche rental. If anyone from the U.S. wants to join, I’d be happy to arrange a little group trip. You have to be able to get out of bed early in the mornings though!
Old 06-07-2004, 09:20 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice report.

BTW, most speed traps are permanent now. (Don't ask how I know) They take your photo and send the owner of the car the fine with a pic and the radar speed. If you get some expensive after rental bills from Avis, you now know why.

Re the gas prices. I have the 92 liter gas tank in my car and I use Shell VMax 100 octane fuel. Price per liter is Euro 1.30. Your tankful was not very expensive.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:49 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,969 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Thanks for sharing your experience - I rented a 996C2 from Avis at the Franfurt airport in 2001 and had a great time (even bought a 996 after a Porsche factory tour but sold it less than a year later). Is it possible that the lightness in the steering you experienced was partly due to the fact that your 993 is a C4 and you rented a C2? The AWD cars are more planted at high speed due to the extra weight in front...
Old 06-07-2004, 12:04 PM
red911c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great Picture of the Speedo!!! Did you take your right hand off the wheel to take that picture???
Old 06-07-2004, 12:19 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks for the write-up! Great pics as well..
Old 06-07-2004, 12:37 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 830 Likes on 512 Posts

rGrant - Interesting point about the additional weight of AWD cars on the front wheels. Initially I thought that the lightness was due to the power steering but remembering the high speed driving dynamics of my '84 Carrerra in the late '80s I think it's mostly aerodynamics and that there is significant lift generated on the front end. I also think there is a slight difference between driving with an empty and fuel fuel tank.

ed911c2, yes I took the right hand off the wheel, however not the eyes off the road. I didn't dare to take pictures at higher speeds. Wish I had a passenger.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:45 PM
William S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In 1997, I rented a 993 C2S (tiptronic) from Avis Germany. It was an amazing experience! Top speed was 260km/h and the front end was so light that I had to steer it down the autobahn to keep it in the lane. Very scary. At speeds around 140mph, however, it was as solid as a rock.

Quick Reply: 996 Rental vs. Own 993