993 Forum 1995-1998

Lifter Repair 101....

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 05:40 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally posted by TomF
Great write-up, John! Thanks for the info. I was wondering if you had enough pics to do a engine removal DIY... Like......
Hey Tom..!

My pleasure..! Also - I do have a few pictures that I snapped during the removal - but probably not enough to do a DIY.. However - perhaps when I do the re-install, I'll document that..?? I guess, if you were to read that post in reverse order - it would sort'a be like a "DIY Engine Removal" (sort of like a Haynes manual ("assemble in reverse order"... Oh, OK.. )

Actually - on the removal - what you really want is the sound clip... A full 15 minutes of run-on sentences swearing, cursing and cussing the PO... Many adjectives, I'm certain, were incorrectly used - but they were quite appropriate given the context of the situation....
Old 06-07-2004, 08:22 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John - great write up - does the collapsed lifter have play in it or is it stuck down in the housing? Also, did you "prime" or do anything to the new lifters as you put them in? Is turning the engine necessary to the the rocker off the cam for purposes of replacing lifters or does it just make it easier? Did those buggers just come out of the rocker or did you have to apply force? TIA and bravo on the engine drop - I've been stonewalling on my DIY drop!
Old 06-08-2004, 09:52 AM
John D.
Banned

Originally posted by GratefulJED
John - great write up - does the collapsed lifter have play in it or is it stuck down in the housing? Also, did you "prime" or do anything to the new lifters as you put them in? Is turning the engine necessary to the the rocker off the cam for purposes of replacing lifters or does it just make it easier? Did those buggers just come out of the rocker or did you have to apply force? TIA and bravo on the engine drop - I've been stonewalling on my DIY drop!
Hey JD..!

Sorry for the delayed reply..!!! OK - the collapsed lifter has zero play, as it's "battered" together. I didn't measure the OAL height difference, but it's substaintial as you can tell from the pics. Also - I guessed from the sound, that the #2 exhaust was gone - and when I did that side, it was also collapsed....

Also - to remove the lifter from the rocker - just pull it out with a set of pliers. They sort of "snap" out (well - if there is any "seal" left" When I installed the new lifters, I didn't prime them, as the rocker itself still had oil in them, so when you insert the lifters - a tiny stream of oil can be seen squirting from the rocker oil galley. If my rockers were "dry", as in "new" - I probably would prime them, though...

Moving the rocker off cam (turn the engine a bit) makes torquing the rocker shaft more consistient, as you aren't fighting the valve spring tension, if you see what I mean????

Finally - when you get to your engine drop (DO IT! DO IT!!! DO IT!! ) post back with any questions or problems, OK? Chances are - more then a few of us have struggled with the same problem,,!!!

Best to you!

John
Old 06-08-2004, 10:24 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

John,
Your post was outstanding, I really enjoyed reading it! Being our local Concour Chair with Matt I am so impressed with your clean skills I am making you a Judge for our up coming Toys for Tots Concour! I'll even let you judge the engine compartments! Thank me later. Best wishes - Jay
Old 06-08-2004, 12:20 PM
John D.
Banned

Originally posted by Jay Gratton
..........Being our local Concour Chair with Matt I am so impressed with your clean skills I am making you a Judge for our up coming Toys for Tots Concour! I'll even let you judge the engine compartments! Thank me later. Best wishes - Jay

Heck - I can't even spell "Concoursse".. BUT - don't you be making fun of my engine compartment .....

Here is last week:

---
--
-
And - here was last night:

Old 06-08-2004, 12:40 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 139 Posts

Good time for new engine mounts, no ? They're probably just as pulled as your lifters were squashed ! ;-)
Old 06-08-2004, 01:19 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

John that with your other post was fantastic!! could
you get a TT and do a very detailed "ENGINE removal"
DIY for all of us??!! then the NA engine would just be a subset
and we could all practice taking out our motors!!
Lots of pics please and take your time --next week is fine!
Old 06-08-2004, 05:53 PM
John D.
Banned

Originally posted by OldGuy
John that with your other post was fantastic!! could
you get a TT and do a very detailed "ENGINE removal"
DIY for all of us??!! Lots of pics please and take your time --next week is fine!
Hey OG...

'Course!!! In fact - not only will I do a complete DIY on a TT - I'll even go so far as testing the pre and post DIY results on a dyno.. Anyway - I just PMed you my shipping address for the transporter. Just let me know what color you pick out for me, as I might prefer black, artic silver or arena red.??... Also, it would be nice to have sports seats..??? Other stuff - I'll let you decide on - as heck, it's your money - and I'm really not that picky...

Tools, hammer and camera in hand - I'm anxiously awaiting delivery of my TT. My thanks for your kind offer!!!

(BTW: If I ever sell it - I'll even let you have right of first refusal to buy it back... )
Old 06-08-2004, 08:34 PM
dp2boy
Rennlist Member

John, what a pleasure its been to follow this thread. Unfortunately its been at the expense of some skin off your knuckles ! Thanks for taking the time to photo all the steps, its the type thing that makes this forum great.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:42 PM
John D.
Banned

Originally posted by dp2boy
John, what a pleasure its been to.....
Aww - thanks Joel...!!!

While I don't have the knowledge base many others have in this Forum - I try to share what I do know (err - "think I know", anyway )... And yep - this Forum, in particuliar amazes me, daunts me and humbles me each and every day... It's incredible - as are the folks like yourself who read, post and support it....

My best to you!

John
Old 06-09-2004, 12:22 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up.. Looks like you are having a good time with your DIY project car. You should take a look are power steering belt while it is out. With 120K, now is the time.

You know, and RS pulley would look awful sweet on there as you should at least have the pulley update. You will save $$ in the future by only having to replace one belt.... And I am not sure about the camshaft.. Maybe a webcam grind would help break in the new lifters
Old 06-09-2004, 04:16 PM
John D.
Banned

Originally posted by viperbob
.......You know, and RS pulley would look awful sweet on there as you should at least have the pulley update. You will save $$ in the future by only having to replace one belt.... And I am not sure about the camshaft.. Maybe a webcam grind would help break in the new lifters
You know - with my "budget" and your suggestions - i might never actually get to INSTALL the danged engine - as I'd just be installing part upgrades for the next 2 years!!!

AND - I just R&Red my pulleys last night - including painting them, replacing the 3-stooopid bolts and even - installing new belts!! RS Pulley update?? I don't need an RS Pulley update.. Me and Mr. Rustoleum in a rattle can do just fine

Seriously - I know, I know, I know..... But - when I'm done - I'll post a list of updates/changes.. INCLUDING the Tranny mount that arrived today from you!!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU - THANK YOU!!!!! ...

Best to you Bob!! And without you and some of the others - frankly - I could have never done this......

Old 06-09-2004, 04:53 PM
avillena
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John,
Very impressive!!! What a task, I salute you Jonh. Wonderful thorough write-up. I'm looking forward on doing something like this in the future.

Regards,
Andrew
Old 06-09-2004, 05:41 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally posted by John D.
You know - with my "budget" and your suggestions - i might never actually get to INSTALL the danged engine - as I'd just be installing part upgrades for the next 2 years!!!

Well...then...just think how clean the engine would be by then
Old 06-09-2004, 10:25 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

John the Transporter just showed up and I aint got the dang car yet
so I had to send it back!!

Quick Reply: Lifter Repair 101....