Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

***Chicago-Area Gathering June 26th!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 01:42 AM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation ***Chicago-Area Gathering June 26th!!!

Calling all CARS (Chicago-Area Rennlisters)

Time for the details on our SATURDAY, JUNE 26th RENNLIST GATHERING!

Yes, I did first mention this a loooonnnnggg time ago, but all good things come to those who wait, right? Believe it or not...yes...finally...

***WE HAVE A PLAN!***

Any and all Chicago-area 993 rennlisters and their invited guests (translation: Porsche owners, fans, and families) will meet on Saturday, June 26th to assign faces to names, ogle each other's Porsches and share some of our mutual enthusiasm for these cars.

Brad and Tim at Euroquipe (601 Sidwell Court, Suite I, St. Charles, IL 60174, 1-630-377-3774)
have generously agreed to open up their shop and provide a gathering spot for our group. This is the shop that recently did the meticulous installation and enhancement of the TPC supercharger in fellow lister Sachin Misra's C4S, and Tim has more than 20 years of Porsche wrenching expertise, so they will be interesting and knowledgeable hosts.

Tim and Brad will be prepared to share some good Porsche info, answer your questions, and explain the the supercharger install to those interested. Sachin will also be on hand to allow an up-close look at his superb machine, and may even take a few of us for a spin. There may also be some other interesting cars on hand, but we can't give away all the surprises just yet....

Euroquipe is pretty easy to get to from anywhere in the area, especially given the relatively light traffic on a Saturday morning. Check www.mapquest.com or maps.yahoo.com for specific driving directions.

People have told me that they want this to be a low-key event that has some timing flexibility, so here is the schedule:

9:00-10:45 AM: Meet at Euroquipe for Starbucks coffee & bagels, mutual (car) admiration and Porsche talk. Chat with the Euroquipe staff and fellow car nuts, and drool on Sachin's wundercar. Participate in the door prize drawings--some very cool Porsche trinkets (or Hey Wait for Me Racing stuff-err, right Mike??!!) will be given away. Arrive early or arrive late, just arrive somewhere in this time frame.

10:45 AM: Depart for drive to the Lodge at Starved Rock State Park in Utica, IL. "Nestled within the 2,630 acres of thick forests, 18 lush canyons and sparkling waterfalls of Starved Rock State Park, the 1930's era stone-and-log Lodge is situated atop a wooded bluff overlooking the picturesque Illinois River." Hmmm... couldn't have said it better myself!

Starved Rock is an easy and fast ~75 minute drive from Euroquipe, with the bonus of some beautiful roads and scenery as we near the park--not to mention the fun of driving in a caravan of fellow Porsches.

12:00-12:15 PM: Arrive at Starved Rock Lodge Dining Room, where reserved tables await. Enjoy a dutch-treat lunch with your fellow Porsche addicts in a beautiful setting. See who wins the valuable and highly coveted prize for the most total miles traveled to attend the event. Then, head "home" after lunch, either with the group or on your own schedule.

That's it, a simple plan but will be fun! If the weather forecast looks truly terrible the day before we will figure out a rain date, otherwise we'll stick to the 26th.

We do need a head count for coffee/bagels, etc. in the morning and restaurant plans for lunch. Please post here, or email me, to confirm your attendance. NOTE: I want to encourage everybody to hang with us for the duration, but you are welcome to attend either the Euroquipe event or the lunch, you do not "have" to attend both to participate.

Time to get out from behind the computer and meet your fellow rennlisters! See you on the 26th!
Old 06-04-2004, 10:12 AM
Bob D.
Racer

I can plagiarize myself, can't I? For some extra motivation to sign up, here is a Top Ten list from my original post about this event:

Top 10 Reasons to Attend the Chicago Rennlist Gathering:

10. Discover that, contrary to popular belief, most rennlisters are actually pretty decent people.

9. The warm-weather folks can't do all the good stuff.

8. The only thing more fun than wasting time looking at your 993 is wasting time poring over someone else's 993.

7. We have the best acronym, hands down! Houston Area Rennlisters have "HAR" and Bay Area folks have "BAR," but Chicago Area Rennlisters have (drum roll please)...CAR!! This is pure karma, and reason alone to congregate!

6. It can be an in-person mini-reunion for the Hey Wait for Me Racing team. We are the HOME CITY of this world-renowned enterprise, and rumor has it that the Head Turtle and his delightful spouse, as well as other team members, may be in attendance

5. It's a great chance to expel some of the pent up car-person energy generated by living through Chicago's four primary seasons: Winter. Mid-Winter, Early Winter and Late Winter. Enjoy our three-week Summer at its peak!

4. Meet me, the real-life Bionic Man! Other cars may have more "mods." but no other driver does!

3. See in person (the disappearing taillights of ) a super-charged 993!

2. The sound and sight of a long line of 993s growling down the road is a sight to behold, and worth the time for any Porshephile to experience!

1. We all love rennlist, but steering wheel beats keyboard every time!
Old 06-04-2004, 11:56 AM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Bob,

Count me and Carmen in for both events. Its a great plan!
Old 06-05-2004, 09:40 AM
Bob D.
Racer

Thanks Frank, look forward to seeing both of you there.

The guys at Euroquipe are super friendly and knowledgeable, and Starved Rock is great as both a drive an destination, so I feel like we lucked out a bit this year.

Looking forward to it!
Old 06-05-2004, 05:10 PM
Seljan
Pro

If Packer fans from north of the border are still welcome,I have it on my calendar Last year's get together was a great time!
Old 06-05-2004, 07:09 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Ohhhhhh. I'm crying here

I just discovered euroquipe and they're going to do some work on my 951. Brad told me about this meeting (after I bragged about rennlist) and told me to come out. Unfortunately, I have to be in MI that weekend. Now, to top it off, I discover you're coming out to Starved Rock. I live in Ottawa, 7 miles east of Starved Rock! I've been trying to get the 944/51/68 people out here forever; the drive is gorgeous. I finally find out some p-car people will be here and I won't!

I am going to be sooooo sorry to miss this. Next time any of you are out this way, PM me and you've got a house to call home base. It would also give me a chance to drool over some 993's

Old 06-06-2004, 02:49 PM
welshed
Intermediate

Is this just for 993 owners or are all 911 owners welcome.

Ed
86 Carrera Coupe
Old 06-06-2004, 09:27 PM
Seljan
Pro

Originally posted by welshed
Is this just for 993 owners or are all 911 owners welcome.

Ed
86 Carrera Coupe

Last year there was a water pumper that attended..
of course he was sucking hind tit in the caravan

so all I can say is BRING IT!
Old 06-06-2004, 09:40 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

we plan on attending.. just not sure which car yet!
Old 06-07-2004, 12:09 AM
Sachin Misra
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Of course I'll be there for both events.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:17 AM
Bob D.
Racer

Seljan, it wouldn't be a party without you!! Packer fan or not, we expect you to be there.

Ed, the emphasis is on 993s, but only because one of the reasons for the gathering is so people who post on this 993 board can meet each other. All Porsches are most welcome, and hope to see you (and any other Porsche pilots you know) there. Post here or PM me to confirm.

Michelle, total bummer that you can't make it! But for the date, the stars really seemed to have aligned for you on this...sure you can't change your plans??

Chris, really look forward to meeting both of you. Doesn't matter which car you bring, just show up, it will be a blast.

Sachin, thanks again for bringing Euroquipe to everybody's attention, and for your good feedback when I was putting this plan together. So glad the date worked for you. And if you are giving rides in your car, I call first!
Old 06-07-2004, 11:22 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by Bob D.
Michelle, total bummer that you can't make it! But for the date, the stars really seemed to have aligned for you on this...sure you can't change your plans??
I have a birthday party to attend for my father-in-law. No way out
Old 06-07-2004, 04:35 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Bob D.

Thanks for organizing everything. We had a great time at your last CAR event. We will be attending the get together at Equipe, and may drive some of the roads with you, but we have a wedding in the afternoon to attend. This is two Saturdays in a row weddings are getting in the way of Rennlist fun.

But checking with the staff in the HWFM Racing Warehouse, we will have some HWFM wearable to donate to the cause.

Looking forward to seeing everyone, and thanks again Bob for all the work.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:59 PM
Bob D.
Racer

Thnks Mike, I appreciate the kind words, and also really appreciate your donating some merchandise to the cause.

When all is said and done, in addition to the fun of getting together I think we will have some cool stuff to give away. That's a pretty good day in my book.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:43 PM
KeithR3
Pro

Bob D.,

Even though my Porsche Days are numbered, my wife and I will be there for the Europipe Gathering, this will give us a chance to meet some of the good folks on this board.

Unfortunately we will not be able to attend the drive due to an afternoon wedding.

Quick Reply: ***Chicago-Area Gathering June 26th!!!