Sponsored by:

Expel or 3M film install question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004 | 01:12 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Question Expel or 3M film install question

Ok rennlisters. It is time for me to do more daily driving in my 993. I love driving it so much and life is way too short. DUH. I finally woke up.

A couple of questions. I have the aerokit I on my car (optioned from the factory-see my avatar for a view of the front splitters). Has anyone installed the protective film on a car with the splitters (covering the splitters)? Is this easily done by a good shop? I really have very few stone chips and would like to keep it that way. I would plan on doing the front bumper cover and partial hood section too as others have done. But I don't recall anyone mentioning their splitters were covered. Would there have to be a specific kit for the splitters or can a good installer work with the rolled film and fit it over the various contours and make it look good?

After long periods of having the film on, once removed, will there be a difference in the tone of the paint in places where the film was not applied (fade?). I keep my car waxed with a good product.

And a related aerokit question. My rear aerokit I wing has a black plastic grill inserted into the enginer cover. There are about 1/2" spaces between the 'bars' on the cover. And there is nothing else under this plastic grill to 'protect' the engine. You can look through the 'bars' of the grill and pretty much see the whole engine. Is this normal? Is this enough protection from the elements?

Your insight and experiences and opinions are welcomed as always.

By the way, I have been on this board almost exactly one year. I've learned so much from all the great people here. I haven't contributed much of value because you folks are so knowledgeable and I'm not. But I'm learning more all the time. I'd like to thank Rennlist and my 993 for one of the best car years of my life. And I'm old and have had quite a few nicely performing cars. SO, that's saying something!

My best to all,
chuck
Old 06-02-2004 | 02:21 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Give Ryan at Autoclearguard a ring or send your questions to him. I have X-pel on my 40th Anniversary 911 and I am very happy with it.
Old 06-02-2004 | 02:39 AM
CP
Race Director

Chuck,

Timing is everything. I resprayed my front end on 4-30 so I can do the 3M install. The install is tomorrow.

My RUF has the same RS splitters as your car. Tomorrow (Wednesday, 6-2-04) SC Specialties will come install the 3M Stoneguard on my RUF. They will cover the lower splitters, as well as the turbo bumpers with added air ducts. Further, they will do a custom install so I will not have a horizontal line across the hood. The hood seam will be run vertically continuing the line of the radio antenna. The cover runs all the way up the hood to the wipers. They also have a special kit that is one-piece and covers the side fenders going all the way back to the front wheel wells. I cannot wait.

I will have more information/pics for you after the install. Please stay tuned.

CP
Old 06-02-2004 | 04:48 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

I did a similar job on another car.

Although I was very meticulous during preparation and installation, I ended with wrinkles and non adherent areas.

I will not do it again myself; though I may have a pro try it out on the P.

I suspect your splitters will be a B***** to cever properly. Lots of short radius and compound curves...
Old 06-02-2004 | 08:50 AM
vuugti
Addict
Rennlist Member

Check the xpel website. Certain installers have the ability to make new film panels for your application (I believe they are the "design access program" members). I also purchased my kit from Ryan at autoclearguard.com. Ryan is very knowledgable and ready to deal, super nice guy. Mention Rennlist for a discount. I contemplated doing this myself, however, after trying to install the mirror section I realized it was over my head. The stuff is pretty tricky if you've never done anything like it. I'm having a pro do mine Fri.

Cheers,
Andy
Old 06-02-2004 | 05:15 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

<<After long periods of having the film on, once removed, will there be a difference in the tone of the paint in places where the film was not applied (fade?). I keep my car waxed with a good product. >>

When I took off the left factory stoneguard recently, the paint seemed a perfect color match for what was not covered.
Old 06-02-2004 | 09:59 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks as usual. I really appreciate the responses.
CP-let us know how it turns out.

chuck

Quick Reply: Expel or 3M film install question