Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My dome light turned on by itself when i was...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2001, 02:03 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Post My dome light turned on by itself when i was...

driving and now stays on with all the doors shut. While i was driving, i heard some noise and my dome light turned on by itself. I pulled over and checked both doors but they were both shut tight. When i came home, i saw the front hood was open. I closed the hood and now the dome light stays on even with everything closed. The only way to turn it off is to switch the light to off. Mine is a 95 cab. Anyone with the same problem?

Thx
Old 07-10-2001, 02:24 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This might sound ridiculous, but did you check to make sure the light is not adjusted to the always on position. Push on either end of the light to turn off and on. I believe in the middle is the setting for on with the doors open.
Old 07-10-2001, 04:09 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thx E.J. but i checked all that. I even checked the manual to make sure. I pushed the doors' sensors and that still didn't turn off the light. This is weird but this is exactly how it happened:

I was driving and, all at once, i felt something was pulled from the floor in back seat, then the light came on and i heard some hissing sound (wind)coming from the front. I asked my son who was sitting in the back what he'd done. He showed me the floor mat's strap that he'd pulled from the floor. When i got home, i found the front hood was open. Since then, the dome light stays on on "door" position.
Old 07-10-2001, 04:36 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

I had this happen but my circumstances were not as strange...it just started. I am not sure if your events are connected.
The light would stay on for a long time and after maybe 20 minutes it went out...sometimes not though. I had the dealer diagnose: locking alarm moodule. About $450 plus install. Arg. Good luck.
Old 07-10-2001, 07:20 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Red face

I'm guessing:

- Front hood open
- Rear engine lid open
- Door, front, or rear lid light switch broken
- light delay timer broken (light does stay on for some ime after you get into/out of car and slam door).
- You're cursed!
Old 07-10-2001, 07:39 PM
becker - 97'C4S
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The light stays on when something is not closed right like the hood/doors/etc or the sensors for those I'd check that. I happened to me when I didn't close the hood tight and yes it stayed on for a while but it went away.
Old 07-10-2001, 07:53 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you all,

I checked/shut the front and engine lid. I will sure check all that again. May be some thing in the trunk blocking the sensor. And, may be i'm cursed

Quick Reply: My dome light turned on by itself when i was...