Sponsored by:

Techron/oil changes

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 12:07 PM
sullivmt
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Techron/oil changes

I am a long term Techron fan and recently noticed several comments about only using techron just before an oil change. Fact or urban legend?
Old 05-30-2004, 04:30 PM
mschafer71
Instructor

good question, the rational of why oil changes necessary after a dose of Techron always has been a mystery to me.
Old 05-30-2004, 04:57 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I recall that topic has been discussed in the past. Maybe a search of Techron and Ventil Sauber another product will provide you with some answers.
Old 05-30-2004, 05:46 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I think the reason for this is... since our cars consumes oil, some of it as it lubricates the piston rings, techron mixed in the fuel will also make it's way to the oil side, which may contaminate it and maybe loose some of it's(oil) viscosity.
Old 05-30-2004, 07:43 PM
mschafer71
Instructor

there are 260 threads on Techron but I could not find one explaining rationally why the oil needs to be changed after use. The instructions on the bottle don't suggest a change after use and gas in itself will contaminate and alter the viscosity of the oil. Now a faulty injector can really do some dilution changes to the oil! I use a bottle every three months and exercise the car well while burning that blended tankful.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:48 PM
nman413
Drifting

From what I understand (and it is very little), bascially Techron contains a higher percentage of detergent and it washs all the crap off the pistons and hence nice clean oil should be added right after. I plan on doing this soon.

We were discussing this when Graham visited and one of the other Rennlisters mentioned that it was a good idea not to mix something like Techron and Ventil as the effects are unknown (i.e. they may combine) and produce less than desirable results.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:21 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Gents:

Techron, like the two LubroMoly products, are fuel system solvents and are formulated to dissolve deposits that build up at the injector tips, and the backs of the intake valves.

Some of these solvents make their way past the rings and depending on how dirty these parts inside the engine have become, an oil change is recommended to flush and remove these solvents and byproducts of combustion out of the engine's oil supply. The rest gets burned and sent out the exhaust.

The issue here is fuel dilution and contamination from the dissolved components that affects lubrication and the oil's abilities to remain "stuck". Remember, oil provides the necessary protecting film at the bearings, camshafts, and pistons/cylinders and any solvents in the oil wash the lubrication away.

911's do better than most with that 12 qt oil supply and doesn't suffer the oil dilution as much as others, but its good practice to flush those solvents out after a fuel system treatment.

Quick Reply: Techron/oil changes