Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

So Glad I am out of the Porsche scene

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 07:03 PM
flatair
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hah I'm with Mike, larbaby2th you started this whole thing with your fairly pissy note, and 90% of the people who replied actually expressed condolances to your misfortune. The other 10% were responding to your fairly inflammatory remarks. And I can say that I'm unbiased, as I own neither a Mercedes or 993, and I'm not flaming you - you have the right to express whatever opinion you have, just don't be surprised when you get some hot responses back in your lap.

Enjoy the Merc!

Brad
Old 06-02-2004, 08:12 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by larbaby2th
Man, the bulk of the responses were quite vituperous (for you USC graduates, that means mean).
Yo, captain genius, I think you were looking for VITUPERATE, not vituperous.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:46 PM
Chazz
Racer

Larry, I'll do you the favor of taking that "piece of doodie" off your hands - it's obviously not worth much to you.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:53 PM
jonathank2000
Three Wheelin'

Wow... can't we all just get along? =)

Okay, I'll put my 2cents in. I think MB's are great but it's like my friends who have Harley Davidson motorcycles and I have a race proven, Japanese Superbike customized for the track (Laguna Seca - yeah!). I told them that when I get old and cannot bend down to grease my own chain.. hey, that sounded kinda weird..then I'll get that couch on wheels and cruise, or rumble on the blvd nice and comfy.. It's a different mentality, state of mind and since we were talking about Zen.. it's about YOU. Good luck with the MB!

USC - 1988!
Old 06-03-2004, 12:15 AM
Todd Serota [TracQuest]
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hi Larry:

I've owned 5 911's over the last 21 years and over 20.7 of those years, the last place to which I would refer a Porsche owner for service was a dealer (unless it was warranty work, of course). However, I have to say that over the last 4 months I've found a dealer in So. Cal. whose service department has really impressed me: McKenna Porsche in Norwalk. Most Porsche service managers have an "us against them attitude," looking for ways to void warranty claims, etc. Brian Lewey at McKenna isn't like this - he's a straight up guy who understands customer service. Moreover he has at least several mechanics who really know what's going on, and they won't turn your car away or turn their noses up because you've got some aftermarket improvements on the car. Even better, in many cases they'll pick your car up on a flatbed, service it and deliver it back to you the same way. Mind you, I still use independent shops for certain types of work, but it's nice to know there's a dealer nearby whose service department is competent and customer service oriented when the work is appropriate for a dealer to do.

In your specific situation, let's just say you weren't exactly at the right dealer (aside from how good McKenna is) and leave it at that. Unfortunately my comments come to late since you've already got the Daimler, but I thought others who are still part of the Porsche fold might be interested.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:45 AM
ringmeister
Addict
Rennlist Member

I bought a C32 AMG last summer but quickly got bored with it. The car is great, has tons of power, flies to 60, seats four, has all the comforts and conveniences, brakes and steering are top notch, even a great exhaust note but it just felt soul-less. Luckily my father really loved the car because in a matter of months he sold his Mini-S and took over the C32 which opened up my garage for my '97 C4S. Old school, involving, and plenty of soul, sometimes it's worth the extra maintenance and $$$ outlay.

I can't knock M-B, great car especially when you look at what BMW is producing these days. Just can't compare it to a Porsche, one is a sports car and one is a cruiser.

Enjoy the ride!
Old 06-03-2004, 11:17 AM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Default OT: the meaning of words

Originally posted by Red
I am a HUUUUUGE fan of USC football (2nd only to the greatest team ever - the OSU Buckeyes!!!!) so no flames here. I think he may have gotten confused and meant to write the word "vituperrious" which means shameful or disgraceful. Oh hell, I don't know - I never liked MB, probably never will (and I even have an s320 with 60k miles sitting in my garage collecting dust). The more people want to sell 993's, the better for me - more inventory in the marketplace to choose from.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:17 AM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Default OT: the meaning of words

Originally posted by Red
I am a HUUUUUGE fan of USC football (2nd only to the greatest team ever - the OSU Buckeyes!!!!) so no flames here. I think he may have gotten confused and meant to write the word "vituperrious" which means shameful or disgraceful. Oh hell, I don't know - I never liked MB, probably never will (and I even have an s320 with 60k miles sitting in my garage collecting dust). The more people want to sell 993's, the better for me - more inventory in the marketplace to choose from.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:46 PM
jonathank2000
Three Wheelin'

Todd,
Brian also helped me with my car at McKenna in Norwalk. But I VERY VERY strongly DISAGREE that he is the representative of how McKenna Porsche service department operates. In fact, IMHO, he is the rare exception! Before I found a good Independent, I relied on them for service. My last and final experience was with a CEL. I took it in and since Brian was out, some clown named Steve took the service call. He said the computer came up with a valve problem, etc... basically wanted $6K to repair. I just told him to reset the CEL and I'll get second opinion. Not only did he not reset the CEL and said he did, not only did he charge me $125 to look at it, and not only did he lie about the problem but had his manager call me to say my car was dangerous to drive unless they fixed my problem. I must had the words, 'sucker' on my forehead that day. Anyway, I took it to 2 different ind and the problem: oxygen sensor - $39.99... no problem since! IMHO McKenna is the typical epitome of a STEALERSHIP.. just my opinion.. oh and no affiliation.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:21 PM
Josh_S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi folks-

Obsessive lurker on this site for about 5 years standing and a paid up member! My take on this discussion: I cannot remember more than one or two posts in those five years re: dissatisfaction with the marque or its relative dependability as a daily driver-just $$s complaints. Quite a compliment to the 993, I think, unless you are all living in denial.....
js
000319-1866
Old 06-03-2004, 03:07 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Nice post and good perspective Josh.

Quick Reply: So Glad I am out of the Porsche scene