Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

So Glad I am out of the Porsche scene

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 10:54 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve isnt that the SL500 pic you posted? The 55 is the BIG sedan. HAHA, anyways!

Drive whatever makes you happy, but you should just remember... you can consider almost everything in our cars as disposable wear items. We that in mind, I expect to change everything eventually!

On dealers... DONT GO THERE!!!!!! Find a GOOD independent Porsche guy, and even stick around while the work is done. You will save money and headaches and know the work is done properly.

I wanted another Porsche as a daily driver but it just wasnt the time for two at the moment. (its coming time to add another though...) I stayed German, but it still wasnt the same. One of the things i miss the most when in my daily is driving with straight legs! No car ive ever been in has a better driving position than a Porsche. And NO mercedes will ever been as expressionate in communicating the road as a Porsche. Its ok though, personal taste.

You'll be back.
Old 05-30-2004, 12:15 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry to hear about your problems, but if you had just spent 30 minutes here (rennlist) the archives and the people here would have been able to probably save you 50% of the original personal mechanic price and then help you with the engine light stuff.

Also, sounds like your mechanic and dealer took you for a ride...

I think you are making (or made) a mistake, but to each his own.

Good Luck to you...

-SKip
Old 05-31-2004, 08:19 PM
Tom Mazz
Instructor

Hello,
I had a 560 SL and a 500 SL also had a 88 944 Turbo, 93 964 and now a 95 993. Porsche does not compare to any other vehicle. Sorry MB.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:19 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sold my 4 year old merc SLK Kompressor to buy a 9 year old 993 because it was starting to go wrong, that and I was loosing interest in it, my merc cost me more in its last year than my 993 has cost me in its first.

My family has had mercs for as long as I can remember, currently my father has a CL600 V12, my Brother has a 560 SEL V8 and my mother has an SL 320 V6, I think the build quality is not what it used to be.

Don't get me wrong I love Mercs and I would probably go back to them one day, but for the money I prefer the look, thrill and sound of my 993. If I could afford it, I would probably get an Aston Martin DB9.

A new car is always lovely, good luck and have fun.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:21 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 506 Posts

There are two issues here: A) Cost of ownership ($$) and B) basic frustration when you have to take the time to get your car checked out by a shop. For me the later is the bigger problem since I don't have a good shop nearby. Fact is that these cars are not cheap when things go wrong (which is why I don't drive a TT), however this board can really help with some preliminary troubleshooting - thanks guys!

I had the CEL light come on this weekend after starting the car with what I though was a weak battery. It miraculously dissappeared 30 min later. Also, my power seat switches started acting up again (good reason to replace with GT3 seats?). Frustrating indeed but nowhere close enough to get rid of my baby. BTW - I'll definitely be getting rid of my Audi BFEORE the warranty expires.

Good luck with the Benz! My ex's ML320 stranded her 3 times in 3 years.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:53 AM
wongmb
Intermediate

Larry:
Sorry to hear your problems but I think you should prob share the blame for some of the problems you experienced. Think it is fair assumption as someone who is a Rennlist member would check the board before dishing out $$$ to dealers. I post questions frequently and the response I get back has been fantastic. Any problems I have has been dealt with by at least another rennlist member and valuable information has always been provided. And the best part is it is free. If money is no object to you, you wouldn't wind about the price tag on the repeat repair. If it is (as to most of us unfortunately), why not use the free service first ??
I assume you never track your car and you are absolutely correct the MB will be a more comfortable car. Reliabity wise I am not sure. If you want reliability, get a Honda or Lexus, you can't beat that.
German cars (MB no exception) and Brits are known to have little nitty
gritty problems. We tolerate them cuz they handle better than their Japanese equivalent. I sure did myself (My wife's Accord is flawness with no problems at all while my BMW has been back to the shop 7 times since new 3 years ago.)
Old 06-01-2004, 11:15 AM
morganb
Instructor

Larry,

Good luck with your new car.
My AMG C 36 has been awesome but for an AC problem over the last 3 years. My Porches have been great also. I believe with any car purchase their is a little bit of luck in getting the right car and getting the correct fixes in place if (and when) something does go wrong. Sounds like you had a problem here. Let us know (or at least me) how you fare with the new AMG, I have the hots for an E55 if I can get a good one at the right price.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:26 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Damn, you should've told this earlier and I could've bought nice 993S with the most common problems solved, not only once, but twice!

I'm with Kim,
MB to me is same as Golf:

"I'll start playing golf when I can't hit moving ball anymore"
Old 06-01-2004, 12:13 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Wow.. interesting reading all this stuff..

I pretty much agree with a lot of folks here.

I actually liked the MB cars until I got behind the wheel on an extended test drive... and then had more time to look over the cheap panels, etc. ...and then found out about all the problems owners are having (more than even BMW owners) and ran very fast.

BUT a NEW MB damn well better be more reliable than an 8 year old Porsche (it would be pretty sad if it isn't).

I love my Porsche... my dad still dreams of owning a 500 MB.. and I keep trying to talk him out of it..

Each to their own I guess

I dump at least $4k a year into my 993 anyway... combo of mods, maintance, race rubber, etc... ...somehow that seems so little to me in the grand scheme of things

...then again, I still love my 993
Old 06-02-2004, 01:31 PM
larbaby2th
Advanced

Hey guys, lighten up!!! After all, these are only cars we are talking about. Man, the bulk of the responses were quite vituperous (for you USC graduates, that means mean). I was not going to post anymore, since so many got so excited and inflammed, but I have some news. First of all, I originally took my car into my 20 year mechanic because the clutch was slipping. He replaced it with new clutch and new flywheel. It seemed ok, and by the way, he replaced a slipping belt with new belts AND new pulleys as was suggested by a 993 upgrade. Since he could not figure out why the CEL was on, he suggested I go to the dealer and they decided to replace the flywheel. My mechanic agreed that he would reimburse me if that took care of the problem. It did not and so I will not pay the dealer. On a whim, my mechanic replaced the new pulleys with the old ones and voila, no CEL.. Do not mistake my feelings about Porsche-the cars are awesome and I will get another one sometime in the future. I do need help, however, with my new rotors and pads, as I have a squeal after the brakes are warmed up and I never did before. Thanks guys, I will keep my fire extinguisher near my computer just in case those egos flare up again. Seriously guys, this board and you guys are great, and I know some of the flames were tongue-in-cheek, hopefully Larry
Old 06-02-2004, 01:31 PM
larbaby2th
Advanced

Hey guys, lighten up!!! After all, these are only cars we are talking about. Man, the bulk of the responses were quite vituperous (for you USC graduates, that means mean). I was not going to post anymore, since so many got so excited and inflammed, but I have some news. First of all, I originally took my car into my 20 year mechanic because the clutch was slipping. He replaced it with new clutch and new flywheel. It seemed ok, and by the way, he replaced a slipping belt with new belts AND new pulleys as was suggested by a 993 upgrade. Since he could not figure out why the CEL was on, he suggested I go to the dealer and they decided to replace the flywheel. My mechanic agreed that he would reimburse me if that took care of the problem. It did not and so I will not pay the dealer. On a whim, my mechanic replaced the new pulleys with the old ones and voila, no CEL.. Do not mistake my feelings about Porsche-the cars are awesome and I will get another one sometime in the future. I do need help, however, with my new rotors and pads, as I have a squeal after the brakes are warmed up and I never did before. Thanks guys, I will keep my fire extinguisher near my computer just in case those egos flare up again. Seriously guys, this board and you guys are great, and I know some of the flames were tongue-in-cheek, hopefully Larry
Old 06-02-2004, 01:45 PM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by larbaby2th
...for you USC graduates, that means mean...
Oh, thanks.

Only a Bruin would have the lack of common sense to pay for the same repair bill twice (and then complain about it). I guess the social security checks don't cover rent AND repairs.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:02 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: So Glad I am out of the Porsche scene

Originally posted by larbaby2th
After spending 4000 at my personal mechanic for new clutch, flywheel... Took to Pacific Porsche in Socal and they had it for 5 weeks, and replaced the flywheel and clutch...
Why did you let them replace the clutch and flywheel...twice... I imagine maintaining a car in that fashion could get expensive pretty quick. Anyway, I'm glad you like your new car...I've heard they are nice.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:06 PM
KeithR3
Pro

Lab,

Sorry about your troubles, but you must admit your post had "NAH, NAH, NAH, NAh, Nah all over it. Good luck!
Old 06-02-2004, 03:31 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

"Hey guys, lighten up!!! After all, these are only cars we are talking about. Man, the bulk of the responses were quite vituperous (for you USC graduates, that means mean). I was not going to post anymore, since so many got so excited and inflammed,..."

What would ever cause such a response from the 993 board? Uhhh, maybe this:

"Image, yeah, but crappy, yeah. 45K miles, what BS, and Porsche, the end-all sports car guys have no clue!!... The Mercedes is a dream, compared to that piece of doodie."

Like that famous Cal Berkley grad, Forrest Gump, used to say:
Vituperous is as vituperous does.

Good luck with the Benz

Quick Reply: So Glad I am out of the Porsche scene