Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS: stock 6 speed transmission (G50-20)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004 | 04:14 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Default FS: stock 6 speed transmission (G50-20)

As listed in the Rennlist Classifieds (link).

This is the stock (G50-20-10) Porsche factory transmission removed from my 1996 rear wheel drive 993 Carrera after 49,9xx miles to make way for a Euro G50-21 "close ratio" box. No issues, no problems & never opened. Redline synthetic used prior to removal. Approximate weight crated for shipment is 150 lbs. $2,500 (obo) plus actual shipping cost from 63105 zip code.

... and yes, the new tranny (thanks Gert ) is mated to a LWF & RS clutch (thanks viperbob ).

Last edited by Dan 96C2 St.Louis; 05-28-2004 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-28-2004 | 05:22 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

When can we expect a road test report? I can hardly wait.
Old 05-28-2004 | 06:10 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Oh what a slippery slope that is You are going to love the box Dan!! For me its the best mod in our cars along with a great suspension...

So... a track car is in the cards?
Old 05-29-2004 | 03:18 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Don - I'll delay posting my review until after some street miles & a track weekend.

Danny - What slippery slope? It wasn't like that. This started as a very logical, well reasoned preventive maintenance job. When viperbob had his blowout LWF/RS clutch kit deal I figured it was too good to pass up. After all, eventually I'd need a clutch replacement & the price difference from oem was small. Plus the payback from the improved fuel economy from the weight savings of the LWF would be just a few decades. So I bought the kit & stored it in my garage for when my clutch died. I thought that was a very smart move. I got impatient, so embracing the risk of excessive clutch wear I used the 993 to teach my son to drive a manual. Apparently he was way too gentle & despite many hilly starts, the clutch stayed strong. I resolved myself to delayed gratification.

As I contemplated the demise of my clutch I began to think about & research a G50-21 tranny. After all, once the engine was pulled for the clutch, a tranny replacement wouldn't involve much more. Then I began to worry that my clutch would go, I wouldn't have a G50-21, & the perfect opportunity would be missed. So I asked a few guys to keep their eyes open for me. A month or so later I got an email from Gert that he had a G50-21 on hand. I took that event as a divine sign which couldn't be ignored. So you see this is just a pro-active clutch replacement coupled w/a compulsory act of faith. No slippery slope here.

Last edited by Dan 96C2 St.Louis; 08-11-2004 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-29-2004 | 03:29 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Think you'll like the result.

The LWF can be a mixed blessing as it is difficult to modulate the engine RPM due to the quick throttle response. But I love mine.. part of the charm of the car.
Old 05-29-2004 | 04:09 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ha Ha Dan... nice! I think your rotors after so many miles they will need replacement and while you are there is makes sense to be proactive and install big reds. But since you are there with the wheels off and the rotors out it is also much easier to be proactive and change to Moton Clubsports!

Enjoy your box...oh and while you are there you will also need a Motorsports LSD.

Old 05-29-2004 | 10:45 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Dan, you dog. You went and got it. That is GREAT. You are going to be shocked by the overall change. Is there anyway of quantifying the results with lap times or a G-tech type device? I think folks won't believe how "transformed" you car will be after the mod. When are you getting it installed?
Old 05-29-2004 | 02:40 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Is there a way I can put all threads that talk about G50-21 swap's on an ignore list?

This is the single most impotant upgrade I want to do, if only I had the extra cash laying around...

I start salivating every time I read about one of these upgrades

Good job Dan
Old 05-29-2004 | 02:50 PM
Matt Vaughan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by chris walrod

I start salivating every time I read about one of these upgrades
Tell me about it!
Old 05-29-2004 | 03:02 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

you guys and your mods!! Next thing ya know John D will be putting in a close ratio gear box...
I'd imagine that with a "CRGB" you'd have to shift more.......sounds like far too much effort......
Old 05-29-2004 | 05:46 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by DJF1
Enjoy your box...oh and while you are there you will also need a Motorsports LSD.
Danny - I'm glad you understand the "forward thinking planned replacement" process. Oh, did I mention the box has a recently replaced MS LSD? See what I meant by a sign

Bob - Installation is next Wed/Thu w/my next track weekend 6/12-13. I should be able to get some objective comparisons then.

chris/Matt - Feel the logic, be the logic, follow the logic. You will need a new clutch at some point, the cost for an RS clutch is about the same as oem, yada, yada, yada, ... so it makes sense to save money by installing a G50-21 now when you replace your clutch, not to mention avoiding getting stranded by a clutch failure (an important safety concern).

Phil - As usual you mention a good point & one which I overlooked. The G50-21 will result in more physically demanding shifting w/resulting health benefits. Can't wait to tell my wife about my new exercise program.
Old 05-29-2004 | 06:27 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Dan,

I love a good rationalization. Yours is worthy of some sort of an award. Perhaps we should have a "sticky" where we can post these which can be used to convince ourselves/significant others of the common sense (and health benefits) of some of these changes. So lets see'... hmmmm... I need Kevin's hybrid stage 2 turbos because...

1). They are shinier and therefore will slice through the wind better... ie, better fuel mileage
2). stock turbos can't last forever (mine are 63,000 miles) and rebuilding to stage 2 is hardly... well just a teensie-bit... more expensive than stock
3). did I mention better fuel mileage?

Quick Reply: FS: stock 6 speed transmission (G50-20)