Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Our own Resident Expert Steve Weiner...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2001, 09:38 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Our own Resident Expert Steve Weiner...

Well guys it seems our own resident expert has finally made the big time. From the September isue of Excellence:

'As soon as Ofstein got his 911 back from Whitmans, he was driving it to meet the semi hauler that would transport it to Oregon for a mechanical rebuild. Ofstein choose Jeff Gamroth and Steve Weiner at Rennsport Systems in Oregon because Gamroth had been the chief mechanic and engineer on Alex Job's ALMS winning 996 GT3R in 2000. Ofstein shipped his freshly painted car to Portland where Gamroth would redo the transmission and suspension.

He asked Steve Weiner, who runs the front end of Rennsport with Gamroth, for recommendations on revising the suspension. 'He said the only way to do it right is to go to Bilstein RSR struts in front with raised spindles and RSR valved Bilsteins in the rear.''

That quote from Steve must have been toned down some from the way the conversation probably went. Well congrats Steve, I guess you are legit now. Now I definately know why my parts cost so much. I would like to note that the car in question is a 1983 SC - so I am not sure this proves Steve's credentials to work on or dole out advice on our 'state of the art cars'...

By the way everyone, the same issue has a long article and test of the 993 supercharger. Might be worth a a look for some of you interested in that.
Old 07-04-2001, 01:16 PM
Doug Malone
Advanced

Cool

EJ, What do you mean "finally made big time?" LOL, for the past 10 months I was under the impression Steve was already big time!

Doug
D&M Racing web page
Old 07-05-2001, 05:22 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Oh Lordy,..........I think I see what's coming,......

It was very nice of Excellence Magazine to do that article about those car's and our involvement with Josh Ofstein's SC. His car is very nice and now in the process of getting a 3.6 transplant to go with the 915 overhaul, close-ratio gears, and tranny cooler/pump setup that we installed. We also did the "Full Monty" to the suspension and brakes.

Trouble is, the folks at Excellence got several things wrong in that article and did not make the requested corrections by Mr. Ofstein. Oh well,.....both of us really tried. Take some of those details with a grain of salt.

As we bring our new website on-line, I'll post a good number of pics I have of various 993 RSR's and 993 Cup cars just so you know that we have seen a few of them through here,.....
Old 07-05-2001, 09:58 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally posted by Doug Malone:
<STRONG>for the past 10 months I was under the impression Steve was already big time!</STRONG>
Doug, I think that was the original tone of my post from the beginning. I hope the humor was not lost on anyone.

BTW - your car looks great with that rollbar. Do you have the rear of the interior (seats, carpet etc...) removed?
Old 07-05-2001, 06:53 PM
David T.
Advanced

Congrats Steve !!! Way to go !!!
Old 07-05-2001, 11:56 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Thank you David,.....its nice to get some recognition for helping make some people's wishes come true.

Those SC's might not be everyone's cup of tea, but they do show other options to making a street/track 911 and everything in between.
Old 07-06-2001, 08:12 PM
Doug Malone
Advanced

Talking

EJ, Yes I realize you were joking and, I was just funnin with you and Steve. Yes, with the rollbar, rear seats were removed, but not the carpet.

Doug
Old 07-06-2001, 08:29 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Thanx Doug, Looks Great!

Quick Reply: Our own Resident Expert Steve Weiner...