Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

West-->East in 10 Days in a 993!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 02:36 AM
nman413
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrwin, I would think with Chinese parents, they would go ballistic about you going on a trip with your gf
Old 05-27-2004, 02:43 AM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by icerbofh
Arrwin, I would think with Chinese parents, they would go ballistic about you going on a trip with your gf

I can pretty much predict what they will say when they see the car...."Why do you waste your money like this? You think you're rich??!"
Old 05-27-2004, 03:58 AM
nman413
Drifting

Hey wait, I think my mom has said that already

Now she just shakes her head.

My car is in the shop so I cant take pictures of it right now but it's silver so it's pretty hard to take pics of the 3M stuff anyways.

Basically, my car has 3618A and 3620. I have the longer hood piece.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:01 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

i did it in 5 days there and 5 days back last year in a 912.. and i took b-routes, not freeways....

(does this mean the 912 is faster thana 993? )

suggestion.. forget the freeways. take us 50 through california, nevada and utah.. take us 50/6 through utah, and then in utah (around provo) get on us 191 and take it to us 40. take us 40 through eastern utah, all the way to colorado. in colorado take us 40 to us 34 ( you will go through dinasaur national park and rocky mountian national park).. then get on I 76 in eastern colorado, and take that to I 80 through nebraska and the rest of the way back (everything east of the rockies are boring anyways).

you will be very happy with this route. it is an amazing route, great scenery, and great porsche roads. (if you dont believe me, check out the link in my signature.. pics from harry's cross country trip)

they dont call me the Leader of Youthful Indiscretion for hey wait for me racing for nothin!

btw.. ill be doing another corss country run again this year to spend another 3 day weekend at the big 912 registry gathering. (am i nuts or what)

Old 05-27-2004, 06:08 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

by the way.. the journey is not your destination.. its what you do along the way.. so make it an experience. see america, its great rolling landscapes, rugged peaks, and oceans of ariculture. see its deserts, and its vallyes. experience the great plains, the culture, the history.

live for the open road and be at one with car, nature, and life.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:11 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

one more thing.. the route i gave you to take is nearly cop free. (and traffic is slim ... so lots of room to strech your legs)
Old 05-27-2004, 09:45 AM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Arrwin-

A book to consider is Eat Your Way Across the USA by Jane & Michael Stern.
The title pretty much says it all. A guide to some of the best pie shacks, BBQ joints, diners, and non chain eateries - most are very reasonable - price wise very few are haute cuisine.

Happy driving, Happy dining.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:45 AM
lexpilot
Racer

Default Harry is, of course, correct....

I've driven that route, also. Great Porsche road. Your GF will fly across US 50 in Nevada while you are sleeping. Lots of opportunity to check tire balance at 100 knots plus.
Arches National Park is 35 miles south of US 50 near Moab, Utah using hwy 191. Outbound you can take hwy 128 which is a colorful canyon and rafting is available in Moab.
Mesa Verde NP is near Cortez, CO in the Four Corners area and is an impressive indian ruins built into the canyon walls. This may be out of the way but for me worth it.
Black Canyon Of The Gunnison NP is a 2-3 hour stop on US 50 about 15 miles east of Montrose, CO.
I'd follow Harry's route in a minute. He is dead on. Also, please buy or check out from your library the "Road Trip USA" book as the US 50 route is outlined in it with all of the sights available.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:26 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Good call on the Invinca-shield thing. I would be happy to help install it if you want. Just buy it off the invinca-shield site and use the discount coupon.
Jauder,

I've been reading up on the Invinca-Shield and getting the hood and front done may be a good idea. Where can I find the coupon you are referring to?

BTW...it looks virtually invisible.....

Old 05-27-2004, 01:41 PM
nman413
Drifting

That was the pre when i realized I had the wrong shape. My car is almost as ghetto fab as sharky's!

The post install actually looks pretty decent.

Discount code is tc240. Use the search.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:10 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

That was the pre when i realized I had the wrong shape. My car is almost as ghetto fab as sharky's!

The post install actually looks pretty decent.

Discount code is tc240. Use the search.
Thanks Jauder. Ok...i'm lazy...I didn't search for the discount code. However I did do a search on the product, so you won't see any questions regarding it from me.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:28 PM
mick
Racer

Dont think it has been mentioned yet, and hope you dont need it, but a listing of all the Porsche dealers along the way might be nice in case of bad luck. Also if you have room a lap top would be nice at night to keep us updated on your trip and to ask the Rennlist crowd about any peculiar problems. Have a great trip. Mick
Old 05-27-2004, 05:40 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by mick
Dont think it has been mentioned yet, and hope you dont need it, but a listing of all the Porsche dealers along the way might be nice in case of bad luck. Also if you have room a lap top would be nice at night to keep us updated on your trip and to ask the Rennlist crowd about any peculiar problems. Have a great trip. Mick
Thanks Mick! That's great advice as i'm sure it will be comforting if I'm stuck in the boonies. {{knock on wood....really hard}}. Unfortunately I don't have possession of a laptop, so unless I find an internet cafe somewhere along the way I may not be able to do any write-ups until I get back, BUT I will try my best. I'm sure my gf will love that...chiming into Rennlist on our vacation!
Old 05-27-2004, 05:43 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by mick
Dont think it has been mentioned yet, and hope you dont need it, but a listing of all the Porsche dealers along the way might be nice in case of bad luck.
Arrwin-

If your car has all the booklets, there is one in there that lists all the dealers by states, IIRC.

Have fun.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:47 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

join pca, in the back of their magazine, is a list of the contacts for all of the regions. thats what i carry around in case i run into probs. call em up, give em the story, nd see where they suggest to take it

Quick Reply: West-->East in 10 Days in a 993!